Movie Fight Scenes Draft

will post this evening. didn’t know I was up.

Fight Draft Pick Chart

2 Likes

I watched it on my local public library’s Kanopy site back in August 2019 but it’s not listed in there any more. They still have the other two movies in the revenge trilogy, but not Oldboy. I also checked the library Hoopla site and Netflix and didn’t see it.

As a hail mary, I searched it on watchnow .com and it seems to be indicating it’s available on Hulu? I’m not sure though because their metadata about the movie is all messed up.

I guess this doesn’t help at all but since I did the research I thought I’d share.

1 Like

With my third pick, I’m going to take the greatest shootout scene from the greatest robbery movie ever made. Featuring two of the greatest actors ever, plus peak Kilmer and a workman effort from Sizemore, it’s one of the most realistic shootouts every filmed - the cast trained for over 6 weeks to get it right. According to reliable internet sources, the scene is so realistic it’s used to teach both Green Berets and Marines. It’s got a great set-up and once the action starts it’s a fast paced thrill-ride. (We’ll just ignore the fact that no back-up police arrived to assist in downtown LA and that getting in a car = automatic escape).

10 Likes

Can’t argue with that pick.

@Twist you have quite an act to follow.

1 Like

Oh fuck off a guy shooting at a criminal holding a girl.

While I’m not a huge fan of gun fights, this one is pretty solid though a bit too long. It’s just enough to get a

OK, Heat is one of my favorite movies, gotta give it up for that.

1 Like

We should put that one on the watch schedule. I think literally every time I’ve watched it has been a GODDAMN experience. Especially that shootout!!! Turn the volume up, especially if you have surround sound.

2 Likes

When I was in high school my buddy and I could recite the coffee scene from memory.

Never noticed it before, but the sound design is solid. You really get a sense of how loud those guns are.

Apparently for most movies they fuck around with the sound a lot but for Heat they basically did nothing

Heat is sick, awesome pick.

Dammit, this was on my slate too. Love this scene.

Gonna go ahead and pick a couple of brutes for my next two.

There are films which contain fights, and films that are all about the fights. These next two choices fall unequivocally into the latter section and they stand out because they have the most VORP of any fights within that section.

Round 3 Pick 7:

The Raid: Mad Dog vs the brothers
(FAIR WARNING: Scene contains a particularly graphic throat slit which you might not want to watch)

I always think that there’s something slightly absurd about long, convoluted martial arts choreography. This lends itself well to Jackie Chan style movies but often seems comically out of place when taken too seriously.

This fight takes itself seriously.

Even so, the scene is so brilliantly executed that it approaches a level of realism which makes it utterly compelling throughout. It’s still at its best when the guys are just brutally thumping lumps out of each other though and there’s well…plenty of that.

I myself am particularly fond of Mad Dog’s head. He’s just a fantastically menacing villain and here he’s at his most menacing.

Basic scene setup: Bloke in Chains is our fresh faced hero’s brother. Mad Dog is obviously the torturer. That’s all you need to know really.

6 Likes

Round 4, Pick 1:

John Wick 3: Lets chuck knives at each other
(FAIR WARNING: Scene contains a particularly graphic eye piercing segment you might not want to watch)

(Edit: didn’t realise when making that warning that this was the still they selected to advertise the video)

Obviously just like the Raid series the Wick one has an enormous amounts of fights to choose from. There’s [undrafted], [undrafted] and even that other one from [undrafted]. This one is just so much fun though. Who, other than my missus, doesn’t wanna see Keanu Reeves chucking knives into people from 20 feet or hammering one into an opponents skull? That’s right - no-one.

Perfect combination of graphic violence and laughs. You wince, you chuckle, sometimes you wince and chuckle; sometimes you cringe, wince, chuckle and politely ask the director to please fuck off. That final axe throw is an absolute chef’s kiss.

Can’t get a better mindless action scene imo, well other than maybe [undrafted, but on my list].

Edit: @JonnyA is back on the ticker.

6 Likes

Yes! Finally someone mentions The Raid, the Godfather of martial arts movies.

2 Likes

The Raid and John Wick have a crazy number of scenes to choose from. They’re great picks and I don’t even think they’re the best picks from either series imo.

3 Likes

Those are some excellent picks.

Probably won’t be able to post pick till after work.

1 Like