Movie Fight Scenes Draft

@superuberbob is up

Would have been my fourth round pick. Happy to have been sniped.

I like how both Kill Bill and Oldboy have that one miniboss that is causing the protagonist the most trouble.

1 Like

I don’t wanna join this draft, because I probably won’t keep up with drafting on time… but I’ll make a 5 point list of my favorite undrafteds after this is done

yep, that’s where I stand as well…

With the 5th overall pick, team superuberbob selects

This Hong Kong film is based on the life of Wing Chun inventor Ip Man. Ip Man, played by martial arts legend Donnie Yen, has just watched his karate master get gunned down by a colonel of the Imperial Japanese Army. When it is his turn to fight for a bag of rice, he wants to get revenge. He does so by demanding that ten black belt karateka fight him.

Many HK fight scenes have a level of absurdity that it’s basically dancing more than fighting. While there’s nothing unentertaining about it and some future picks (including my own) will have that, it can leave them a bit detached from reality especially if they’re on wires. But this isn’t about fancy swordplay or dance numbers. This is about sheer brutality and violence in the name of revenge. Here, you can almost feel every punch as it’s being thrown by Ip Man.

Next up is @JonnyA and followed by @Twist

8 Likes

Pick review so far

1. Oh Dae-su vs. Gang

1. The Fifth Element thing

1. Beatrix Kiddo vs. Crazy 88

1. Inigo Montoya vs. Dread Pirate Roberts

4 Likes

just watched this movie last year and its great, good pick

1 Like

With the 6th pick, I’ll take what I had third on my big board (mostly because I’d never seen two of the prior picks before).

The best fight from a move full of amazing fights. It’s well shot with fast paced fighting and solid acting. Also has a bit of drama and moves the story along as well.

After watching this there is only one thing to ask:

8 Likes

2 Likes

Round 1, pick 7:

So far everything’s been up close and personal so I reckon it’s high time someone rolled out some epic war. To wit I present the greatest battle sequence yet produced:

ShotToRemember16PrivateRyan

Everything in this scene is incredible. The scope of the vision, the attention to detail, the pacing of the incessant, horrific, spellbinding action - just phenomenal set piece direction that pulls you in and drags your awestruck ass up the beach along with them.

The fact he finds time to weave into this cacophony small individual Wilfred Owen like moments that give you insight into the characters; the collecting sand, the armless man, the “let them burn”, takes this from gory, brutal spectacle to not just one of the most affecting fight sequences ever made but one of the finest directorial moments full stop.

6 Likes

Is it my go again?

So is the rule for this draft that once a scene from a movie is taken off the board, that whole movie is gone?

Or are we allowed to say HOORAY and pick a different fight from the same movie?

I lean toward the former despite the angling I could get out of the second.

I lean towards the second for the bickering

2 Likes

Second. If you want to pick every fight from a movie, it’d be kinda shitty but that’s your call.

In my top 50, I have just three movies that show up twice.

Yes. Registration is closed.

1 Like

Has Roddy Rowdy Piper’s “put on the glasses” fight in They Live been picked yet? Don’t really need a draft since it’s the goat aniaec.

Have to admit that I’m a bit surprised with some of the films that have been picked.

Five are Hollywood productions with just two, Oldboy (South Korea) and Ip Man (Hong Kong/China) being created outside of America.

I’ve got a couple lined up, but they’re unlikely to be picked first. Maybe others feel similar?

Possible. Perhaps I might value things higher than others though.

It’s all subjective in the end I suppose

That was next on my board. Was debating which was more likely to fall to me in the second round. Was hoping people would keep passing on battle scenes.

edit: probably not going to be able to do my next pick till this evening after work.

1 Like