Movie Fight Scenes Draft

risky is gonna be like, your next pic is

JubilantHonorableDrongo-size_restricted

5 Likes

I’ll screencap the message if I have to lol

That said, I doubt somebody would stoop to that level.

1 Like

And I’ll continue ninja editing his posts if he says otherwise!

1 Like

Sent it to you along with the write-up.

1 Like

With my second pick, I’ll go with the best fight from the best boxing movie of all time.

Amazingly well directed with De Niro putting on a masterful performance. He may have taken a beating, but he never went down.

6 Likes

Posting for superuberbob. Please assume that all likes showered on this post are intended for him :stuck_out_tongue:

Round 2

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - Yú Xiùlián vs. Yù Jiāolóng

Yù Jiāolóng (Zhang Ziyi), the daughter of a rich family who is being forced to marry into another rich family, shows admiration for the life of Yú Xiùlián (Michelle Yeoh) because of the freedom she has to live the way she wants. But their connection breaks down when the spoiled Jiāolóng, referred to as Jen in the English version, becomes angry at Xiùlián (romanized as Shu Lien) for lecturing her and challenges her to fight.

The numerous weapons Shu Lien uses are specifically designed to combat swords but they fail despite this. The diverse weapondry keeps the fight fresh and interesting while demonstrating Yeoh’s abilities with each one. The fantastic fight choreography has a rhythm that is almost hypnotic and the ambience creates a perfect atmosphere for a one on one battle. While many American fight scenes tend to be a bit gimmicky when it comes to editing and cinematography, this scene is very conventionally edited and uses mostly practical effects which make the performances by both even more impressive.

What’s also extraordinary is the preparation both actors put in. While Yeoh had been starring in martial arts films for over a decade prior to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, she did not speak Mandarin. This meant that she needed to learn Mandarin to play the role. Meanwhile, Ziyi spoke Mandarin but was a professional dancer by practice and had never been in a martial arts movie. This meant that she needed to learn swordplay prior to the movie to the point where she could shoot scenes such as these for the film.

It’s those reasons that one can use to make a case for this being the best fight scene of all-time even over Oldboy.

Team superuberbob

1. Ip Man (2008) - Donnie Yen vs 10 Black Belts
  2. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000) - Zhang Ziyi vs Michelle Yeoh
5 Likes

@Nicholasp27 is up

Win

2 Likes

Michelle Yeoh GOAT.

2 Likes

5 Likes

Not every fight scene has to be nonstop action with 100 punches or 200 bullets flying.

Sometimes a nice slow burn hits the spot, especially when it’s No Country for Old Men

Brolin finally realizes there is a tracker in the money and waits for Anton, who uses his trademark cattle gun to shoot the door lock into Brolin’s chest. Brolin shoots back and then climbs out the window and they take the battle onto the street. Just a great scene in a great movie.

8 Likes

@tabbaker is up

Wowwwwww what a pick

I’m at work so I can be skipped.

Is @RiskyFlush after me?

1 Like

Oof :cold_sweat:

It deserves to be in it just way too high. Ted Ginn, if you will.

Beatrix v. 88 possibly the GOAT

2 Likes

I only recently learned that the space pirates from The Force Awakens are played by the cast of The Raid as a cameo.

(I feel like this is reasonably on-topic)

3 Likes

I remain undeterred. Onward to the next GOAT pick.

1 Like

“Your men are already dead.”

For my second round pick, I select the opening scene from The Matrix: “Trinity vs the Agents”

A groundbreaking fight scene in a groundbreaking movie. This is the scene that told the audience they were in for something they’d never seen before. The choreography is stunning and innovative and singularly primes you for the later bullet-time scene that inspired copycats for decades to come.

Just look at this kick!!!

BigheartedCriminalDachshund-size_restricted

The directors had long been admirers of Hong Kong action cinema, so they decided to hire the Chinese martial arts choreographer and film director Yuen Woo-ping to work on fight scenes. To prepare for the wire fu, the actors had to train hard for several months.

Yuen let their body style develop and then worked with each actor’s strength. He built on Reeves’s diligence, Fishburne’s resilience, Weaving’s precision, and Moss’s feminine grace. Yuen designed Moss’s moves to suit her deftness and lightness.

11 Likes