Sandwich bracket interest thread!

Best of luck controlling the actual criteria voters will use.

Host: “So, the tournament is TV themes.”
Person A: “I vote Better Call Saul.”
Host: “No, not shows, just the themes at the start of shows.”
A: “Better Call Saul.”
Host: “I’m not even sure it has a theme. You mean the little jingle at the beginning?”
A: “I, uhh, have always had a deep passion for five-second jingles. Anyway, didn’t you see that one episode in the desert? Holy shit, right?”
Host: “But isn’t it up against a better theme maybe?”
A: “Register my vote now, motherfucker.”

3 Likes

I’m not trying to control it. I’m just doubting that “I had a bologna sandwich at The French Laundry that blows away every other sandwich I ever had” is going to come up a lot.

If people are naturally thinking about “overall this sandwich is pretty good” then that’s fine. I just want to plant the seed to think only about ceilings and not worry about medians or floors.

This competition should be about taste, not consistency. I don’t want Katz’s to get dinged because Bob’s deli down the street makes a crappy pastrami sandwich. When I think of “Jewish deli pastrami sandwich”, I think of Katz’s or Langers.

Ok looks like Choripan won the meet in tube form competition. I’ll give it a couple more days for wildcard sandwich submissions, since I’m likely to be pretty busy until Sunday anyway.

Then I’ll see how many wildcards we have. I’ll have a play-in tourney to whittle it down to 24 entries if necessary (since we already have 40 from the graphic in the OP that no one ever looks at).

Regarding criteria, obviously you can vote however you want, but my suggestion is to think of the best version of this sandwich. So, something like Katz’s for pastrami, Geno’s or Pat’s for cheesesteak, etc.

1 Like

Hyped for voting to start. These are some delicious nomnoms.

Right, then pick your Philly place that only the real OG local food hipsters who scoff at Pat’s and Geno’s know about.

Here’s a French dip from my favorite place. Better than cheesesteak or Italian beef imo

2 Likes

That looks so legit.

Geno’s and Pat’s might be the worst cheesesteaks in Philly.

Gotta go Tony Luke’s imo

Also, just had a cubano for the first time. Gonna be a tough sandwich to beat.

A proper Cubano is for sure top three.

2 Likes

Looks like no cheese, which in my opinion is the only proper way to call something a French Dip

1 Like

What kind of sociopath would put cheese on a beef dip!

1 Like

More Information on Mettbrötchen. The guy is from Berlin though so he calls it wrong.

It’s just prime rib and bread. I like to get horseradish on the side.

Ok I have 20 nominations so far for the 24 wildcards (where a pic or writeup was included with the nomination, I added a link):

1. [Mufaletta
  2. Fish Sandwich](Sandwich bracket interest thread! - #4 by suzzer99)
  3. [panino con la milza
  4. chop cheese sandwich](Sandwich bracket interest thread! - #5 by superuberbob)
  5. Portuguese francesinha
  6. Montreal smoked meat
  7. Macau Pork Chop Bun
  8. Chacarero
  9. Primanti Bros sandwich
  10. British Chip Butty
  11. Mettbrötchen
  12. [BBQ brisket sandwich
  13. Jewish deli pastrami](Sandwich bracket interest thread! - #38 by suzzer99)
  14. Avocado toast
  15. Cemita
  16. Runza
  17. Rou Ji Mo (aka Chinese hamburger)
  18. Bifana
  19. fried mortadella sandwich
  20. Arepa

Which means there is still room for 4 more nominations. So the next 4 nominations are in, then I’ll start the brackets. If we don’t get any I’ll do 4 byes.

For posters who nominated sandwiches w/o pics, feel free to add the most appetizing pics you can find along with any writeup you think will increase your entry’s chances.

I love a good kathi roll, but I don’t think enough people have had them for it to stand a chance:

PB&J

See OP

No Cuban or meatball?

They’re both in already