Sandwich bracket interest thread!

I nominate the Rou Ji Mo (aka Chinese hamburger)

3 Likes

I think it was on the original list

1 Like

uh true, I just skimmed the first row of OP’s image and thought the rest would be all standard white person food too (the visual style didn’t help).

Also, re: Mettbrötchen, maybe millions per day was overstating it. But not by like many orders of magnitude, it’s a staple consumed regularly by millions.

Yeah millions is a bit much; I can’t imagine 1% (or more) of Germans eating a Mettbötchen on any given day, and that would be under a million. I don’t think it’s much of a thing outside of Germany either. Never saw it in Austria; there they have “Beef Tartare”, the variant with beef and a raw egg yolk:

I even saw a sandwich variant of the latter, but I don’t want to split the raw vote.

Also unrefrigerated eggs rule! :transmet_smiley:

It is time for the meat in a tube for pole!

Your contenders:

Whatever the fuck this is

Sausage roll

Icelandic dog (I have had these and they’re quite good)

Corn dog (since no image was supplied, I went with wikipedia)

Sonora dog

Choripan

Which meat in a tube should make it into the competition?
  • Whatever the fuck this is
  • Sausage roll
  • Icelandic dog
  • Corn dog
  • Sonora Dog
  • Choripan
0 voters

If we’re going Portuguese, we could also put up the Bifana. I think it is also kind of overrated, but I didn’t go to what was supposedly the GOAT place, because whoever runs it, as is common with Euros apparently, took the entire month of August off so it was never open when I was there.

C’mon guys, not having corn dogs in the sandwich competition is a net loss in hilarity

1 Like

Fry that sucker up and I’m game.

Iowa State concessions serves an amazing corndog.

1 Like

Bourdain’s favorite sandwich is super tasty and takes five minutes to make:

it’s a mortadella sandwich, long story short you lightly fry the mortadella, melt some cheese (he recommended provolone), spread mayo/kewpie + spicy mustard on a toasted bun, done. He went with sourdough or a kaiser roll but I like it on a brioche too. The mortadella is thin and fries up nice with little crispy carmelized ridges, and mortadella has bits of pistachios and some have little flares of chili peppers too, but who cares, this is a basic meat & cheese combo that is basically a leveled-up fried bologna sandwich. LOL BLT

3 Likes

Seconded.

Do we have a bacon egg and cheese biscuit yet? Could substitute sausage for the weirdos.

a good sausage patty with some spice >>> bacon
come at me

This is really quite simple. Bacon sausage egg and cheese biscuit>bacon or sausage egg and cheese biscuit. Bacon and sausage do their seperate parts.

1 Like

The absence of meatball subs itt so far makes me question all of you! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I should get my son, former Jersey Mike’s cheesesteak maker, in on this. Tap into his sandwich expertise.

2 Likes

Agree.

Also I am a big corndog fan but I’d never consider it a sandwich.

In a past life I managed a subway (back when they cut the subs with the canoe cut to give you an idea how long ago) and one year I won the provincial speed sub making contest. Lost in nationals though. lol.

3 Likes

But Subway sandwiches are the absolute most brutally boring sandwiches I’ve ever encountered.
It’s about impossible to concoct a something good from those dull ingredients they offer without throwing a ton of banana peppers at it.

1 Like

Agree. It’s the nut low of sub places.

Is there a gluten free option available?

There are lots of varieties of arepas, I’ll nominate Colombian arepas de huevos.

1 Like