Sandwich bracket interest thread!

I should get my son, former Jersey Mike’s cheesesteak maker, in on this. Tap into his sandwich expertise.

2 Likes

Agree.

Also I am a big corndog fan but I’d never consider it a sandwich.

In a past life I managed a subway (back when they cut the subs with the canoe cut to give you an idea how long ago) and one year I won the provincial speed sub making contest. Lost in nationals though. lol.

3 Likes

But Subway sandwiches are the absolute most brutally boring sandwiches I’ve ever encountered.
It’s about impossible to concoct a something good from those dull ingredients they offer without throwing a ton of banana peppers at it.

1 Like

Agree. It’s the nut low of sub places.

Is there a gluten free option available?

There are lots of varieties of arepas, I’ll nominate Colombian arepas de huevos.

1 Like

Arepas are a good one, love those. Guess I pretty much love anything that uses corn.

1 Like

#14 in OP.

1 Like

Oh crap missed it. lol

It’s literally the most prominent sandwich on the whole graphic.

Both of these are on the list as the same entry. Pick whichever you like best.

FWIW, I think this is a mistake. I think the ceiling is obviously important, but the floor and consistency are important, too. Basically, “If I go in to a good, but unfamiliar, restaurant and order this sandwich, how good is it going to be?”.

I don’t give a shit if the best meal of your life was a bologna sandwich at Alinea - it doesn’t make a bologna sandwich good.

Nope, we’re arguing about the best version. Arguing about floors and consistency is dismal. I want to know when this sandwich really shines.

I’m pretty sure most voters will not substitute some fine dining take on a bologna sandwich for just simply the best standard bologna sandwich you can get. So that’s not an edge case I’m worried about.

Best of luck controlling the actual criteria voters will use.

Host: “So, the tournament is TV themes.”
Person A: “I vote Better Call Saul.”
Host: “No, not shows, just the themes at the start of shows.”
A: “Better Call Saul.”
Host: “I’m not even sure it has a theme. You mean the little jingle at the beginning?”
A: “I, uhh, have always had a deep passion for five-second jingles. Anyway, didn’t you see that one episode in the desert? Holy shit, right?”
Host: “But isn’t it up against a better theme maybe?”
A: “Register my vote now, motherfucker.”

3 Likes

I’m not trying to control it. I’m just doubting that “I had a bologna sandwich at The French Laundry that blows away every other sandwich I ever had” is going to come up a lot.

If people are naturally thinking about “overall this sandwich is pretty good” then that’s fine. I just want to plant the seed to think only about ceilings and not worry about medians or floors.

This competition should be about taste, not consistency. I don’t want Katz’s to get dinged because Bob’s deli down the street makes a crappy pastrami sandwich. When I think of “Jewish deli pastrami sandwich”, I think of Katz’s or Langers.

Ok looks like Choripan won the meet in tube form competition. I’ll give it a couple more days for wildcard sandwich submissions, since I’m likely to be pretty busy until Sunday anyway.

Then I’ll see how many wildcards we have. I’ll have a play-in tourney to whittle it down to 24 entries if necessary (since we already have 40 from the graphic in the OP that no one ever looks at).

Regarding criteria, obviously you can vote however you want, but my suggestion is to think of the best version of this sandwich. So, something like Katz’s for pastrami, Geno’s or Pat’s for cheesesteak, etc.

1 Like

Hyped for voting to start. These are some delicious nomnoms.

Right, then pick your Philly place that only the real OG local food hipsters who scoff at Pat’s and Geno’s know about.

Here’s a French dip from my favorite place. Better than cheesesteak or Italian beef imo

2 Likes