New Moderator Confirmation Votes

Link to thread

@Yuv, @Tilted, @econophile, @clovis8, and @anon29622970 were all nominated for moderator in this thread to serve a a 6-month term as moderator, with the term beginning on 7/1/2022 (USAian). A 2/3 majority vote is required for each nominee.

This poll will close at 11:59pm Eastern, Thursday 6/23/2022, at which time results will be official.

Do you support confirming Yuv to a 6-month term as moderator
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Do you support confirming Tilted to a 6-month term as moderator
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Do you support confirming econophile to a 6-month term as moderator
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Do you support confirming clovis8 to a 6-month term as moderator
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
Do you support confirming meb to a 6-month term as moderator
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters
1 Like

@anon29622970, you indicated in your RFC that if you were a moderator and no rules regarding permabans were established, then you would permaban posters who annoy you at your own whim. Iā€™m asking you to clarify this comment in this thread. Thanks.

Hereā€™s the quote:

Thanks for this question, because I certainly donā€™t want any misconceptions out there. As it stands, I would have no plans to permanently ban anyone.

I would plan to issue a small number of 10 year bans, as currently allowable under the rules of the forum, in the best interest of the forum as a whole. That way we have until 2032 to sort this all out.

I have no plans to ban you for 10 years, if that was a concern. These will be great bans for the entire forum. People are going to be so happy when they see the positive impact it has on the forum. Iā€™m promising you all a better tomorrow on UP!

4 Likes

Big Plans, Great Bans

5 Likes

Great bans, no plans, a canal: panama

5 Likes

14 Likes

Would like to see some short statement from all the potential moderators that just outlines how they feel about modding.

I guess Meb has done that, but Iā€™m not really sure what level heā€™s on.

So we should take Meb seriously but not literally?

All I want you to know is weā€™re gonna go back to having fun on here again!

That would be quite the reversal considering I nominated you!

What is the downside for humoring him for this little bit of time? No one seriously thinks heā€™s going to ban Goofyballer. He went golfing this weekend. Itā€™s not like heā€™s plotting how to prevent MrWookie from taking power on Jan. 20. Heā€™s posting about banning some shitposters, those shitposters will be banned, and then heā€™ll leave.

2 Likes

I think individual modding is kinda problematic because if one mod is aggressive on the banning side it will not be helpful to the mod who is attempting to defuse the situation in a different way. Iā€™m not anti-ban personally as I stated before. Sometimes a short break is beneficial even for the banned party and isnā€™t just a punishment tool.

I do think that ā€˜body of workā€™ bans (which are also lengthy by nature) should be a matter of the community vote and not a specific mod.

And tying to the first point - i think thereā€™s a lack of communication between mods. I get along well with the current mods (well not including one that is finishing their term) and this list of future possible mods. I think discussing things between mods would be beneficial to make more consistent decisions which is better for the community.

2 Likes

I find it curious that a bunch of the people who are anti-ban and who were aghast at boredsocialā€™s run for mod on a ā€œban the troublemakersā€ platform are voting yes for meb.

3 Likes

But did boredsocial promise that we would all have fun again? The strangest part is actually that BS himself is voting against me on this.

1 Like

I also didnā€™t ask for this leadership role, but it was thrust upon me.

Same shit I did last time.

1. Try to get people to not be dicks to each other (unless deserved)

2. Repeat step 1.

3. Repeat step 2

4. Fail, but try step 3.

5. Take over as UnstuckTilted.

4 Likes

Everyone was at least supposed to be an owner and should have the shared responsibility to mod (if thatā€™s to be done at all). I will never vote no for a mod.

There are some big differences but Iā€™m not sure how to point them out without sounding like a dick.

My view is that modding is volunteer service for the community, and a moderatorā€™s role is partly to do boring stuff like open and close threads or move posts around when there is a benefit to doing so and partly to promote community standards. I agree with Yuvā€™s view that moderation works better as a team effort. I had assumed there was a super secret mod forum or chat for that. If not, that should be easy enough to start up.

3 Likes

There is a private chat with other mods.

2 Likes