Walrus grab bag - signup thread

Best use of Obamaphones?

1 Like

wat

1 Like

You should totally do it.

With respect, I genuinely had no idea what a tomatophone was until your category and I think a lot of people won’t. I wouldn’t even know where to start looking for a song that meets the criteria, unless I was googling for lists and listening to them trying to find something to submit.

Would you mind changing to something that is more general? Something that is easier for someone to connect songs they might know without having to research?

2 Likes

Thanks! I am actually going to put together a spreadsheet tomorrow morning which people can use as a reference since there are a lot of categories here.

1 Like

Bonus points if otamatone submission includes a wobble board?

1 Like

I mean, sure, just link your favorite Queen song and I’ll rank them from best to worst without listening since I already know them all.

All categories are submitted and in this post. Contestants can use it as a reference and template if they want to. You can easily send all these entries to me by clicking my name in this post. You will get an option to message me, and it will use this post to do so. Then you can just go through and add all your submissions. Remember - manually remove my category from the end and send that to SwankyWilder.

Let me know if this is unclear or I can make it easier somehow. End of day Sunday the 26th of April will be the deadline for submissions. Try to give youtube links or something else people can access without needing an account.

We can allow 2 weeks for all the reveals to happen from that point. I will make a separate reveal thread of course. Try to give youtube links or something else people can access without needing an account.

Message these to seities:

Category host name: eyebooger

Your submission: Title - Artist

Link to submission:

Any commentary (optional):

Category host name: miliboo

Link to submission:

Category host name: suzzer99

Link to submission:

Category host name: ChrisV

Link to submission:

Category host name: skydiver8

Link to submission:

Category host name: SwankyWilder

Link to submission:

Category host name: jalfrezi

Link to submission:

Category host name: pyatnitski

Link to submission:

Category host name: Yuv

Link to submission:

Category host name: Pauwl

Link to submission:

Category host name: Canadamatt3004

Link to submission:

Category host name: LouisCyphre

Link to submission:

Category host name: Nicholasp27

Link to submission:

Send these to SwankyWilder

Category host name: seities

Link to submission:

1 Like

I appreciate you wanting to run a category that requires something a bit more specific, and a bit more research. The idea of something like that has already been discussed, and it’s been decided a different Walrus will be a better fit for those types of categories.

If you’d still like to join in this one you are most welcome. Just pick a different category that is going to be easier for people to find submissions for.

2 Likes

Category host name: Nicholasp27
Category: A song from one of your favorite artists that I probably haven’t heard music from.
Musical tastes: Symphonic Metal/Rock (Epica, Nightwish, Evanescence, System of a Down), Singer-Songwriter (Jason Mraz, Cat Stevens, Of Monsters and Men, Mumford, Passenger, Ben Caplan), Alternative/Hard Rock (Live, Pearl Jam, Disturbed, Linkin Park), 80s/90s Rap (OutKast, DMX, No Limit, Eminem, Slick Rick, Beastie Boys), Classic Rock (Pink Floyd, Queen, Eagles, Zeppelin), Covers (Violet Orlandi, Jasmine Thompson, Aaron Lewis, Corey Taylor), 80s Love Songs, and folky/ditty/story type songs like “Jenny of Oldstones”
Any other judging notes: I tend to prefer female singers to male singers but it depends on the song. I’m not a big fan of the whiny male singing or emo or a lot of really indy superstars. I won’t deduct points for knowing the artist you submit, so don’t try to go super obscure, just introduce me to something I may like given my musical tastes and hopefully I can find a new artist to listen to and you can evangelize an artist you like.

2 Likes

Can I ask for a one day extension on entries? My weekday time for finding stuff will be almost non existent, so an extra Saturday would be a big help.

3 Likes

You’ll be lucky. I got told off in my walrus for asking for tracks featuring a saxophone.

my submission for jalfrezGoat’s category

This will not end well

ok. no. I got something off the ‘Feel This’ album.

Wait are we doing things already?

1 Like

Just Rivaldo indulging in a spot of walrus bombing.

1 Like

Can we send partial submissions? I already made picks for a few categories and it would give the judges more time to listen to them.

Updates

1. Let’s extend the submission window just a little. End of day, Sunday 26th is the deadline for submissions.

2. We can assume the list of entrants is now final. There is 14 in total, which means you have 13 entries to find. I have made an edit to the “Master categories post” at Walrus grab bag - signup thread - #88 by seities to add in Nicholasp27. I have also edited it so that you can send entries for every category to me, except for my category. This is so that I can forward them on to the host of each category and they can judge the tracks without knowing who submitted what.

3. SwankyWilder has kindly offered to accept the 13 entries for my category, and send them on to me. The “master categories post” has been updated to reflect this.

4. General submission tip - be mindful of song length. I love my 20 minute epics but it’s a real slog to listen to a long track that you are not into.

You can start sending your submissions as soon as you like, and you can send them category by category if it’s easier for you than sending in one block. As soon as all submissions for someones category are in, I will forward on to them so they can start listening sooner. Any other questions or comments on how I can make this easier/more enjoyable please let me know.

3 Likes

You can start sending them to me as soon as you like, if that makes things easier for you. I will probably not send them to the host until all submissions for their category are in though, because it’s going to make my life a bit easier in terms of distributing to each category host.

Appreciate all your efforts in this seities, I’m good to take the entries for your category

5 Likes