Walrus grab bag - signup thread

There has been interest expressed in a Walrus grab bag. This is where you sign up for this revolutionary new Walrus format

Paging @ChrisV and @LouisCyphre who are Walrus OG’s that haven’t played in a while. I’ll save you a few spaces in case you are interested.

Due to the different nature of this format it requires more work from participants, and a bit more organization up front.

In a nutshell

• Each participant hosts and reveals a category of their selection.

This requires a sub-point: Please make sure you can meet your commitment to doing a reveal before entering. This will take hours of your time to listen to all the entries, likely multiple times, then do a writeup for the reveal. It’s up to you if you want to do an expose on each submission or just chuck in a few lines.

• We’ll do this as anonymous submissions, which means I will tell you in advance who to send your submissions to. I will handle half of them, so I need a volunteer to receive and distribute the other half of the submissions to the correct hosts.
  • I think we need to cap this at 15 entrants maximum. That means 15 total reveals, and everyone will have to submit 14 entries.
  • We will set a timeframe by which everyone needs to do their reveals. This will depend on how many entrants there are.
  • Since there will likely be more submissions required than usual, it is going to be best to not get too specific with your category. Here is an optional template:

Category host name: I would put seities here. Because my name is seities.
Category: It’s fine if more than one person uses the same category.
Musical tastes: Optional, but I like to give a very general idea of stuff I like or don’t like.
Any other judging notes: For example, some hosts penalize for overly familiar songs, some don’t. Let us know if you have preferences.

Next steps:

1. Signups. Will stay open for signups until end of day Thursday (US West Coast time).

2. Your category should be submitted in this thread by end of day Friday.

3. After all categories are submitted I will further advise who to send your submissions to, and a timeframe for starting and finishing reveals. Generally I am going to recommend sending a youtube link for your submissions if you can since it’s more accessible to everyone.

Last, despite the mundane, rule-laden post that this is, Walrus is meant to be fun. Try not to take any results seriously, and do yourself a favour and don’t take the reveal for your category too seriously either. The fun in this game should be found in the fact that musical tastes vary wildly. Whether your submission gets roasted or toasted take pleasure in the fact that you made them listen to it!

2 Likes

For signups so far I have:

@cassette @Nicholasp27 @pyatnitski @Rivaldo @miliboo @eyebooger @mjiggy @seities @Jalfrezi @CanadaMatt3004 - If I have scared any of you off and you want out just lmk…

1 Like

I am interested but have some questions: How long for submissions? How long for reveals? Did I get this right: everybody judges one category?

Should this thread be moved to Sports and Other Games?

1 Like

Category host name: eyebooger

Category: A modern rock song (last 25 years) by an artist from Argentina or Uruguay

Musical tastes: Pretty much anything rock related can work. Indie folk, electro-pop, traditional alt-rock, and heavy metal all valid here.

Any other judging notes: I did this exact thing with Central America last year in POG. As with that game, I will probably do a drunk listen and a sober listen. Here is what podiumed:

3rd:

2nd:

1st:

2 Likes

I’m thinking 5-7 days for submissions. It might be a lot to find and I want people to have time.

For reveals I was thinking around 10-14 days roughly. We can easily have two people do a reveal in a day. Was going to get more specific based on feedback and how many entrants we get.

Sound ok?

Edit - and yes, everyone judges one category.

1 Like

Sounds good. I‘m in.

2 Likes

Question - Is there somewhere you suggest looking for that? Honestly I couldn’t name one song so I would need to look something up.

I like the idea, just thinking maybe expanding it to a wider region like you did previously might make it easier for people to find submissions.

I don’t think people usually have too much trouble finding stuff with a little effort. No one in POG had a problem with the Central America one, except for the clowns that submitted Avenged Sevenfold and Santana. Which reminds me: any geography fail = instant last place.

And yeah, I do expect that people will have to do a little work looking for a few ideas (except maybe Miliboo). If I were searching myself, I’d probably just google Uruguayan or Argentinian rock bands/song and see where that takes me. I wouldn’t expect anyone to spend hours finding something.

1 Like

That’s going to be some painful listening, isn’t it? You’re going to end up with the top 15 Google results.

Ok works for me, unless anyone else has concerns :-) Will be a good excuse to look some new stuff up.

1 Like

If you let me investigate whatever they were up to in the 70s I’d support you 1,000,000%.

Also, we should probably @ a bunch of folk. I know @suzzer99 has said that in the past.

On the contrary. I’m expecting greatness from you folks. :slight_smile:

Sorry I’m not trying to be a dick and I’ll let it go after this, but it just seems to go against the OP’s request for fairly open categories instead of treasure hunts. I imagine it would take me an hour or two to find a song that specific. Do you think it’s reasonable for participants to devote 15-30 hours of homework into this?

Category host name: Rivaldo

Category: Videos or live performances from MTV’s 120 Minutes or Headbanger’s Ball.

Musical tastes: That pretty much narrows it down, as you can search for either and arrive at loads of stuff. No penalty for popularity, but something I’ve not heard will grade higher if the swag is there. I like progressive, melodic stuff with musicianship. The personality of the artist, and the entire presentation can add to the seduction. It can be fun, and it doesn’t have to be technical if it’s inspired.

didn’t mean to quote eyebooger, but to steal his template lol

1 Like

I just found the Argentinian Cure

I got eyebooger’s category

I agree with this. The walrus is a good way of finding new music you might like from the recommendations of others. I don’t think doing it the other way round is a great idea ie having people desperately scouring the webs for a half decent example of a genre they don’t even like x 14.

and from my last walrus

@MimosaDef
@smrk4
@Pauwl
@skydiver8
@Rexx
@zikzak
@microbet
@DodgerIrish

2 Likes

Yeah, with the feedback from jalfrezi and cassette I feel more comfortable sticking with my initial inclination here.

@eyebooger and @Rivaldo Would it be ok to make some amendments that make it more likely people are already able to connect a song they know to the category without a search? I know people could find entries based on what you have provided. No doubt about that. I just think it is good to make it easier for people to find something they already have a connection to, rather than trying to look something up and try and form a connection to a song and then submit it.

So for example suggestion for @eyebooger : a modern rock song (last 25 years) either side of the US border, and for those that are inclined, try to find something from Argentina or Paraguay (but all countries scored equal). I know including Canada gives you a different musical vibe, so this is just a suggestion. Or maybe you have some other category in mind that is a little more broad that you would still enjoy hosting?

For @Rivaldo , how about any Metal from 1985-2005, and people can search MTV’s 120 minutes or Headbangers Ball to try and find something if they would like the prompt?

1 Like