Walrus grab bag - signup thread

I think I’m down for this if there are still slots. But it’s late here and I’d like to read through it all in the morning. So, if there is a spot please temporarily hold it for me. Thanks!

It’s no problem. I can pick a replacement category that will be easier.

That being said, I would like to do a game with categories more like mine and Rivaldo’s that may take a medium amount of effort. Maybe after this one I’ll put that up.

2 Likes

You got it!

Thanks man, appreciate that :-)

And fwiw I definitely like the idea of a trying Walrus more like that. It would be a bit more exclusively a “treasure hunt” kind and appeal to people who enjoy digging a bit more.

Goddam my 5 secs of fame felt good. Probably would’ve still got crushed in the Uru/Arg round anyways (lived in both countries for 10/3 yrs respectively).

@seities and lo demas, can I haz an electronic music round if so inclined?

2 Likes

Subscribing

Will post category tonight or tomorrow

Yup sure! I mean that’s pretty broad, so as long as you kinda allow enough room that someone that never listens to that stuff can still be like “oh there was this one Nero song that they played on the radio that I liked” or whatever, then I think it’s totally good. Just so long as it’s not “An EDM track by a composer who drinks hot water with a splash of lemon around 10:30am most weekdays”. Also EDM works just fine, but maybe not specifying too much in the way of subgenres of it. EDM = good. Trap House = not.

I’ll be glad to submit something from that genre since it is rarely requested.

1 Like

I still have two categories in my other walrus and results might be drawn out so I don’t think I can commit to this one unless people are willing to wait longer for my reveal.

1 Like

REPLACEMENT

Category host name: eyebooger

Category: A song from a band/artist where live right now

Musical tastes: Modern rock of all types and catchy pop. Other stuff can work, but is pretty risky.

Any other judging notes: For “where you are right now”, let’s say any sensible area of like 1 to 5 million people. If you live in Boston, you don’t get to pick a band from Las Vegas because they are both in the US. There are plenty of artists in eastern Massachusetts.

Also, I’d much rather hear something I’ve never heard before than the alternative (though it won’t be a dealbreaker).

2 Likes

To give a bit more of an idea on timeframes, I think its entirely possible that we are still in the submissions stage until next Friday, the 24th. You wouldn’t need to reveal until some time the week after that.

If that still feels a bit close for you then no worries, I just didn’t want you to miss out if that timeframe might actually be fine.

Also, I hope you don’t mind me organizing this while you are still in the midst of yours. Reveals for this one won’t start until well after yours is finished.

Jiggy could be scheduled to be last revealer. Are you anticipating more than 1-2 reveals per day?

I’m in, please.

1 Like

Category host name: miliboo

Category: An electronic dance track that makes me wanna hit the 'floor.

Musical tastes: Fairly mainstream Brit rock, britpop etc, hardhouse, trance, techno, drum n bass.

Any other judging notes: Will not punish submissions that are >5mins long!

1 Like

Damn wasted DJ Shadow :(

I think we are probably going to end up having 0-2 reveals most days. But for sure we could allow for Jiggy to reveal near the end if that helps him to join if he wants to (and isn’t all Walrus’d out after hosting).

1 Like

So far we have:

cassette Nicholasp27 pyatnitski Rivaldo miliboo eyebooger seities jalfrezi CanadaMatt3004 LouisCypher Pauwl

Probably MimosaDef and Mjiggywiggy

I have held a spot for ChrisV as well. So I can accept one more confirmed entrant, and start taking substitutes from there in case someone drops out or doesn’t take their allocated spot.

Apologies in advance to those who miss out.

1 Like

I’m in. I will submit a category shortly

3 Likes

Hey. Sure, I’m in. Figuring out a category now.

3 Likes

Category host name: seities
Category: Animal. The artist name could be an animal. The title could be an animal. There could be the name of any animal in the track. The word “animal” itself also counts.
Musical tastes: I always find this difficult. But if I had leanings in any direction its probably faster/harder/grittier. Apply that loosely to rap/punk hardcore/rock/metal/EDM. With that said I have awarded the number one spot to songs which would be the opposite of that, so you are still totally in the running if you submit some catchy pop.
Any other judging notes: You are going to have a better chance if the track was from the last 30 years. I am going to mark down if the song is generally well known.

1 Like

Nice! With skydiver8 and ChrisV in, we are now at 13 plus 2 likely entrants, taking us to our cap. Anyone else interested is still welcome to register as a sub.