Walrus grab bag - signup thread

Welcome, Yuv!

Feedback from other contestants on this category is welcome. My take is…A category solely for comedy songs isn’t the best. But that’s not what you’ve asked for. If something just has to have at least one funny line in it, and that’s broadly applied (eg a funny insult in a diss track would apply, for example) then I think it shouldn’t be too hard to find a track.

Just for my own clarification - would a song like say
The Bad Touch by Bloodhound Gang be ok?

Sure, it can also be much less “funny” than that. I’m not that interested in comedy songs for the category, but it’s not a disqualification if someone has one he really likes (unless it’s Weird Al).

1 Like

Cool cool. Jalfrezi posted a song earlier in the thread where the very last line was funny/unexpected. So it sounds like even that sort of thing is the intent here. In that case I think there is plenty of latitude for people to find something and its a good category.

Maybe just one thing to add would be what you are judging based on. Since the humour doesn’t have to be a core component, I guess its just overall enjoyment? Might help to spell that out.

Added more clarification, I hope.

1 Like

Perfect! Nice category.

Need to know if @Yuv finds toilet humor and stuff about lady-parts as funny as I do.

Category host name: Pauwl
Category: Songs that invoke dreamlike thoughts. Dream Pop or New Wave, No Wave, Dark Wave, Psychedelic, Proto-punk etc.
Musical tastes: I do not like most modern pop, metal, hard rock, punk, country, rap, and R&B. I listen to very specific artists in all those categories but I wouldn’t go there. Modern music I like would mostly fall under indie rock. I love all kinds of weird genres from the past and discovering new ones.
Any other judging notes: Overly familiar songs will be down scored.

Edit: To be clear, it’s not meant to be songs about dreams.

2 Likes

Sorry I’m not in, I’ll just rail, thanks for organizing

1 Like

hmm, I have one song that fits 3 of these categories, and I can’t decide which one to use it on…lol

3 Likes

Category host name: Canadamatt3004
Category: Female fronted rock groups
Musical tastes: Check out my prior Walrus for some ideas. I am looking mostly for non radio play singles, since I know most of that shit. Prefer more recent to older since it’s hard to find chick rock from the 60s and 70s I’m not familiar with.
Any other judging notes: Sticking to rock for this category obviously. For sure there are some great groups fronted by females in other genres, but that’s not what I’m looking for here. Also female fronted doesnt mean the lead has to be solely female. If the band has a male singer as well that’s fine but the lead vocals should be primarily female led.

1 Like

In and submitted their category:
eyebooger
miliboo
seities
suzzer99
ChrisV
skydiver8
SwankyWilder
jalfrezi
pyatnitski
CanadaMatt3004
Pauwl
Yuv

In and still to submit their category (by end of day tomorrow, but the sooner the better):
Nicholasp27
LouisCyphre

Space for 1 more.

Friendly reminder to @Nicholasp27 and @LouisCyphre to get your categories in the next 12 hours or so please.

Mumble and not misogynistic might be mutually exclusive categories so you’ve probably killed two birds with one stone there.

Will post category tonight

1 Like

Category host name: Louis Cyphre

Category: A song that hypes you up. It can be one that gets your adrenaline flowing, a work-out song, something that gets you dancing etc.

Musical tastes: I mainly listen to rock and metal (from vanilla to extreme) and their siblings, cousins and bastards. I also listen to pop, hip-hop, some classic, a tiny bit of opera and I can generally find something I like in most genres.
Basically no-hoper genres: hardcore techno/gabber, Operetta
Dubious genres: Electronic, Jazz, country/western, disco, RNB

I listen to a lot of stuff, so just about everything else is in with a shot.

Any other judging notes: I previously judged a Walrus and you can find the reveal thread here:

Warning: This time I will judge very well-known songs much more harshly.

2 Likes

I greatly enjoyed your Walrus. Going to go back over it now for some Friday night entertainment.

2 Likes

I will jump in if you want one more.

Absolutely! Still one spot open, so its all yours if you have a category in mind :-)

I thought it might be useful reference to have all the categories in one post:

(CanadaMatt3004) Female fronted rock groups
(ChrisV) Something that evokes a sense of loss, regret or wistfulness. There’s a broad one for you.
(Eyebooger) A song from a band/artist where live right now
(jalfrezi) A track which includes any instrument that isn’t a guitar, keyboards or drums (or voice
(LawnmowerMan) Best Use of the Otamatone in a Musical Work
(Louis Cyphre) A song that hypes you up. It can be one that gets your adrenaline flowing, a work-out song, something that gets you dancing etc.
(miliboo) An electronic dance track that makes me wanna hit the 'floor.
(Nicholasp27) TBD
(Pauwl) Songs that invoke dreamlike thoughts. Dream Pop or New Wave, No Wave, Dark Wave, Psychedelic, Proto-punk etc.
(pyatnitski) A track that obviously uses repetition. A track that obviously uses repetition. A track that obviously uses repetition.
(Rivaldo) Videos or live performances from MTV’s 120 Minutes or Headbanger’s Ball.
(seities) Animal. The artist name could be an animal. The title could be an animal. There could be the name of any animal in the track. The word “animal” itself also counts.
(skydiver8) an uplifting song about life, personal growth, etc., preferably by a male artist/group, but that isn’t required. (finding songs by female artists in this category is easy)
(SwankyWilder) Debut single.
(suzzer99) Songs have a cool twist at the end, like last minute or so, which doesn’t appear in the rest of the song. Rather than try too hard to explain this I have provided two examples below.
(Yuv) Humor. A song you actually like and find funny/humorous/witty. It can be just one line you think is amusing, it could be comedy music. Hell, it could be a funny composition if you’re into that. It just have to be intentionally funny and not “It’s funny cause it’s terrible and she can’t sing”.

3 Likes

Category host name: Lawnmower_Man

Category: Best Use of the Otamatone in a Musical Work

Musical tastes: Everything.

Any other judging notes: I’m looking for the single best use of the Otamatone in a work of music. All styles of music are go for this category. I will be judging on factors like creative arrangements, pitch accuracy, sound and recording quality, interesting use of processing such as effects, sampling, post-production, etc. It is not a prerequisite that all instruments on the track must be an Otamatone.

I will likely prefer two things: (1) pieces that are serious works of recorded music (read: not amateurish Youtube videos) and (2) completely original pieces of music, should either of these things exist. In light of this, I will accept a wide range of submission formats and platforms including but not limited to Soundcloud, Spotify, Amazon Music, links to audio files, etc.