Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

Category host name: Louis Cyphre

Category: A song that hypes you up. It can be one that gets your adrenaline flowing, a work-out song, something that gets you dancing etc.

Musical tastes: I mainly listen to rock and metal (from vanilla to extreme) and their siblings, cousins and bastards. I also listen to pop, hip-hop, some classic, a tiny bit of opera and I can generally find something I like in most genres.
Basically no-hoper genres: hardcore techno/gabber, Operetta
Dubious genres: Electronic, Jazz, country/western, disco, RNB

I listen to a lot of stuff, so just about everything else is in with a shot.

1 Like

Perfect timing, I just finished my reveal for the day. Let us Walrus!

1 Like

For starters I want to congratulate everyone for your picks. There isn’t a bad song among them. I believe everyone tried to find something that they think fits my musical taste. Thank you very much for that. It didn’t feel like a chore at all. The songs I habitually skipped where the ones I already knew and didn’t need to hear again.

What’s good for me is bad news for you because songs that deserve a top half finish had to be relegated to the bottom half. If you find your own submission there don’t feel too bad about it. It’s just that somebody had to end up there and the competition was stiff. Also I noticed that my write-ups focus on the negative aspects a lot. That’s not a sign that I disliked the song. I just found it easier to explain why a song didn’t place higher than explaining why a song is 3% better than the previous one.

A fair warning: If you are not into metal and punk you are going to have a bad time. The majority of submissions came from these two genres.

I am going to give one guess for each song who I think submitted that particular song. Let’s see how many I can get right.

4 Likes

hmm, maybe I’ll host a walrus where one category is limited exclusively to G&S patter songs. “Modern Major General” would place last.

Just cursing myself now. I’m sure I get last here too

That’s a Walrus that’s panda-ring. He doesn’t look happy. Probably because he feels ashamed as he should.

In 13th place scoring 1 point Slayer with Raining Blood

Submitter’s comment: Slayer, man

First impression: “When the Saints Go Marching In”

I am sure the this fellow Walrusser meant well. This is an all-time classic and I will probably listen to it for the rest of my life. My category description cointained this though:

…and this is what’s happening here. It’s one of my favorite songs and it’s a great category fit but I imagine submitting Raning Blood to a metalhead is like recommending “When the Saints go marching in” to a Jazz fan. I guess. I don’t know anything about Jazz. I have read once that the Jazz bands in New Orleans charge extra when they are asked to play that song because they are sick of it.

Submitted by: miliboo?

3 Likes

uh oh

And thus my nodium-free run comes to an end.

4 Likes

I could get any position here from 12th to 1st, nothing would surprise me.

That was you? My guess was that you submitted the next one. For no reason other than I had about 4 songs unassigned and your name was still available.

1 Like

Confirmed.

1 Like

In 12th place scoring 2 points: Prodigy with Breathe

Submitter’s comment: n/a

First impression: familiar, good Prodigy song

The single charted in the top 10 all over the world, often at no.1 as did the album this is coming from. Once again this ranking isn’t a reflection on the “objective” quality of the submission. It’s a very good song and a good category fit. It’s also a very lazy pick.

I expect most fellow Walrussers have heard this many times before. It doesn’t feel right putting this ahead of any of the more creative submissions. Sorry.

Submitted by: Pauwl???

1 Like

Damn. But I agree with your assessment “This is an all-time classic and I will probably listen to it for the rest of my life.”

2 Likes

Yeah, even I, the least metal of all the posters on here, have heard and don’t hate this song.

What can I say? You gotta know your audience bro. I’m not deep enough for that shit.

1 Like

So this is the opposite Walrus to Pauwl’s pick a song i’m listening to right now.

I applied the “well known songs” to be with respect to the gen-pop. To me most people don’t know Beach House or Slayer.

Im joking. Slayer being last for ‘well knowness’ is somewhat harsh, but commendable.

I’m still standing! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

2 Likes

So much for Pauwling it up. Now my strategy is :

1 Like