Moderator Nominations: 6 Month Term beginning 1/1/22

Click here to go to Nomination thread

Per the new rules for establishing mods of this forum, anyone may post in this thread volunteering to serve a 6 month term as mod beginning roughly on 1/1/22 and ending on 7/1/22. Any volunteer post which receives at least 10 likes in this thread will be considered an official nomination that will move forward to a full forum vote. This thread will remain open for 3 days.

Nominees from this thread will take the place of @Rugby and myself who are rotating out in ~30 days and will join @Tilted and @CanadaMatt3004 on the mod team.

Full rules listed below.

Nominations and Elections. Two weeks prior to each Rotation Date, a nomination thread will be created in the About Unstuck forum requesting volunteers to serve as a moderator. Anyone who volunteers in the thread and receives at least 10 likes to their post will be nominated. After the nomination thread has been open for 3 days, the nomination thread will be closed, and another thread will be posted in About Unstuck with an individual poll for each nominee, which will will remain open for 3 days. Any nominee who receives at least two-thirds approval will be added to the mod team immediately. This means they should be in place for roughly 1 week prior to the Rotation Date, and a moderator’s term will last approximately 6 months and 1 week. For the sake of clarity, if a moderator’s six-month term ends on a Rotation Date of July 1, then they would be eligible for nomination in the mod approval process that leads up to the next Rotation Date (September 1). This rule replaces and makes all prior rules regarding mod terms null and void.

3 Likes

:+1:

7 Likes

Eh. Just to make it clear I’m not daft enough to stand for mod. This was a show of support for the rotation in of new mods, w/e they are (looks like no one at the moment).

Jfc I have no interest in modding this place with some of the people that exist here.

I don’t believe mods are necessary.

1 Like

i nominate @zarapochka for moderator.

1 Like

I nominate @Riverman , he is our only hope.

8 Likes

You were willing to nominate jalfrezi, who has been objectively fucking horrible to you, for moderator. I think you’d make a good mod.

This thread should really have been bannered. I don’t think it got much traffic. Who routinely checks About Moderation?

I nominate myself with the note that I will in no way respond to the needs and wants of this forum. Rules enforcement will be arbitrary and that I will demonstrate favoritism towards some people. Vote for me at your own risk.

18 Likes

I’ll volunteer for a term.

31 Likes

I’d be willing to serve as a mod with the understanding that I will take a pretty hands off approach.

24 Likes

I would suggest that this thread be extended. Now that it was made a banner we are actually getting volunteers but since there are only 4 hours left it looks like maybe none of them will get the requisite 10 likes in time.

Done.

1 Like

90% of it is seeing a little red notification then clicking on that and deciding whether to agree with the flag, disagree with the flag, delete the post, or ignore the flag.

Just to emphasize - there’s nothing bad about a moderator who is largely hands off, or one who is maybe super busy and can only act a few hours a week. Each moderator is incremental to the other mods, and any incremental effort helps.

4 Likes

The other 10% is telling everyone to stop bitching at each other on Friday nights when they are bored.

6 Likes

Earlier this year, Wookie took one of the most extraordinary moderation actions I’d ever seen on an internet forum: he limited the rate of posting in the Covid 19 Origins thread to one post per day. Left it there for a week, and this was during a time when there was a lot of nationwide discussion on the origins of the pandemic. I thought it was completely inappropriate to throttle discussion using mod power on a newsworthy topic that many people were interested in, and am curious if Wookie thinks this was an appropriate use of mod power and thinks he might take similar action again in the future if he unilaterally deems other topics to be similarly threatening.

Thread earned it.

1 Like

I’ll do it if people want me to do it, I think I’ve been pretty clear how I feel about repeat offenders.

22 Likes