Long and Tedious Path to the Truth

The first 22 posts after this OP were split out of the most recent Moderator Nomination Thread as the discussion moved past the nominees.

1 Like

:+1:

1 Like

A week ago when he was asking the mods to ban whoever is behind @badpostingdog he referred to UP as

a relatively unimportant place where people drop by only occasionally these days

but maybe that was just because he was mad no one wanted to hand down the ban.

3 Likes

That’ll never happen because it’s more fun for people to complain, and also because they know they’ll probably lose the vote. And then actually losing the vote would kind of impact their ability to complain. No one wants that!

I said that on the first iteration a year ago. If anything, not banning jal, marty and churchill or whoever they decided upon back then just caused the loss of a dozen other posters.

(and just to make it clear, it’s not because i think they “deserve” or “don’t deserve” to get banned, it’s just that they already got de-facto perma’d and leaving it in the current state is probably the worst situation)

1 Like

Maybe we need a thread to nominate posters for permanent bans. Get the list all polished up.

Wookie set the precedent ages ago that no one gets perma’d without a dispensation from the Pope. I don’t see that changing any time soon. New mods are at least giving us periodic two-week breaks from the insanity, which is nice.

i think your post pretty much proves my point. not entirely sure why you think otherwise unless you took my post as ‘marty shouldn’t have been banned for that’.

you can rational that marty, churchill, jal, jbro, fidget, microbet, jt, cassette, thin_slicing, greg, swanky, smacc etc etc etc are all sociopaths and thats why they behave that way, or you can think of other reasons as to why this deteriorated to the current situation, as i do.

either way the bottom line is that my prediction, at least in my view so confirmation bias etc, came through pretty much to a t.

so instead of giving out two weeks bans to this series of repeated offenders, i think we either have to actually perma them or have a discussion that doesn’t start from the narrative of ‘if they only behave properly it will all be fine’.

i just wish either of the choices happen before we lose more members.

1 Like

i’m being completely honest, i’m not trying to attack you or anyone else in any way.

there is a very large group of members who left the forum or post a lot less. i see close to zero attempts to understand why that happened, or at least re-consider our previous assumptions as to why that happened.

you showed a post by marty that is obv shitty and deserve a ban. it has happened multiple times. in my eyes you either perma him or try to understand what causes this. banning them over and over again while behaving in the exact same way is frustratingly stupid.

(i don’t have energy to spell/grammar check these posts so sorry if some aren’t phrased very well)

Well go ahead and start the list then instead of this passive aggressive bullshit.

Between here and 2p2, Marty has probably received 50+ infractions. It might be closer to 100.

No one really seems to hate the guy, but at his worst he is too abrasive for community discussion. Blaming mods for a guy who has a known ~15 year history of getting a timeout every month or so is silly.

2 Likes

You see no line between “sociopathic monster” and “trolling the forum for fun?” At least a few of the posters you name up there have admitted they are doing the latter.

Trolling a community for no other reason except enjoying the uncomfort of strangers is sociopathic behavior imo.

i find it hard to believe that all the people who left, some of which i enjoyed reading and communicating with, are such, so i try to find the rationale behind everyone’s action.

apparently that’s considered gaslighting, which is a very helpful adjective to use in a genuine discussion.

1 Like

And I don’t think that’s true at all. We as a community implemented rotating mods and had Wookie take time off because these posters assured us that this was the issue. Most of us are willing to make good-faith concessions to try to lower the temperature.

2 Likes

OK, I apologize for that, but it’s really wild and a little bit insulting to imply that the rest of us are at fault for not listening to Marty’s feelings. That feels like blaming the victim to me.

I think that’s a stretch. I don’t think Fidget for example was a sociopath, but he literally was caught in pm chat bragging about how his “ghandi act” was trolling, and was being done to troll the then moderators. That’s just one example of course.

Frezi was not banned. Unless someone forgot to update the moderation log.

Anyone can see the status of anyone else right from their profile, there will be something like this if a user is banned:

This post is precisely my point. I’m not saying fidget never trolled or marty or jal never shitposted.

I am concerned as to what caused them to reach that point. If it was just out of the blue they decided to attempt and ruin a community they were a part of, it’s 100% sociopathic, almost the exact definition of it.

@goofyballer you don’t troll CP unprovoked. You enjoy making racists uncomofrtable. If you simply enoyed making random humans uncomfortable it would fit the description.