Moderator Nominations: 6 Month Term beginning 2022-3-1

Per the rules for establishing mods of this forum, anyone may post in this thread volunteering to serve a 6 month term as mod beginning roughly on 2022-3-1 and ending on 2022-9-1. Any volunteer post which receives at least 10 likes in this thread will be considered an official nomination that will move forward to a full forum vote. This thread will remain open for 3 days.

Full rules here. These are the previous nomination threads…

1. Moderator Nominations: 6 Month Term beginning 9/1/21
  2. Moderator Nominations: 6 Month Term beginning 11/1/21
  3. Moderator Nominations: 6 Month Term beginning 1/1/22
2 Likes

cliffs?

Seems a bit harsh.

6 Likes

@mods we needed to make this a banner post to get volunteers last time.

Without any context this all seems fine iyam

3 Likes

The Jonny ban was probably the worst in this board’s history.

5 Likes

What’s this about? I find that hard to believe.

no one cares about your guys’ stupid fucking bullshit

Please be kind.

FYI I have no clue who that poster is.

He appears to be eating a 2-week ban, although none of the mods have documented it yet in the “Mod Actions” thread.

Edit: The offending post is still visibly cross-posted in another room. I placed an alert so hopefully it will be nuked as well.

2 Likes

It’s Victor.

1 Like

that should be a tipoff

1 Like

I’m nominating @JonnyA if he is willing to do it.

13 Likes

I would be willing to do it.

I think we could use another active mod. In general my position would be more community modding focused. Having eaten my first ban (which I think was undeserved) - I debated fully quitting this board, but am willing to try to be part of the solution (assuming there can still be one):

In particular:

1. In most situations, try to talk to problem posters before banning. I think most posters here are reasonable and will tone things down when requested. Bans only after requests are ignored (obvious except for repeated bad acts).

2. Be willing to discuss decisions. As a community run board, mods should be responsive to the community and be willing to engage regarding their decisions (and hopefully modify their actions based on community input). I’m sure I wouldn’t be a perfect mod, but I’d do my best to listen to concerns and try to improve my decision making.

3. Silence - not ban. Having received my first ban ever, it sucks. It makes UP completely unreadable as you can’t see where you left off in a thread. Also would be nice to still be able to send DMs. I get it’s only a ban/message board, but it still felt pretty harsh. I thought we had already decided to switch to silencing, but I would only silence and convert all bans.

15 Likes

I actually very cleverly backed out of that promise prior to this new system passing.

I can do it if you want, but I’ll often be absent and wouldn’t plan on taking the job very seriously at all.

Just updating, I will not serve as a mod on this forum if Riverman remains as a mod. So I am rejecting the nomination.

1 Like

Likes are how nominations are confirmed so it’s entirely possible people are liking that post to allow JonnyA to move on to a confirmation vote and not because they agree or disagree with the contents of it.

Can we get a confirmation vote going for @JonnyA nomination?

2 Likes