Everyone's out of step but me - Cactus's Covid Appreciation Thread

My gf and I have been going every day, but I stopped a week from last Monday because my office is opening back up tomorrow. But guess what? She started feeling sick yesterday. Classic symptoms. Fever, chills, aches all over, short of breath, and can’t taste her food. Pretty sure she got it not from the gym, but from a trip to NY with a friend to visit their other friend still in college. And of course, they hit the bars. Her friend is feeling sick too

I’m so pissed at her right now because I have to call off tomorrow

1 Like

I’m sorry, you’ve been voluntarily going to the gym every day and you’re pissed at your girlfriend for possibly getting pozzed?

Look in a fucking mirror, man. Maybe if you had been taking this seriously the whole fucking time she wouldnt have thought it was a good idea to go to the bar in the middle of a fucking pandemic.

16 Likes

I’m pissed because she knew I was quarantining having to report “in person” to a mandatory work meeting tomorrow. She can still work from home. What irks me is that if the situation were reversed, I’d have been more thoughtful about her job and cancelled a non essential party trip to NY. That, and it looks like I won’t be sleeping in my own bed for a while.

It’s just us and we both decided that we’re willing to accept the risks we take, but do not want to subject others who are who are doing everything they can to avoid risk. So now I have to call off work tomorrow. Otherwise, I wouldn’t care. I just think she could’ve been more thoughtful of my job

“My girlfriend and I have been going to the gym everyday, and now I’m pissed at her for being inconsiderate and going on a trip” just isn’t the defense you think it is, sorry.

6 Likes

Some of you live to troll so bad that you don’t even fully read what you’re attempting to troll about. Stopped going to the gym two weeks ago! My only issue is that she could’ve/should’ve cancelled her NY trip with her friends knowing I have an important work scheduled meeting tomorrow imo. I would have if the situation were reversed

Also, I wasn’t trying to defend anything. Just mentioning that it sucks. If you’re going to be a troll at least try to be a good one

Did she sneak off to NY without you knowing?

2 Likes

No. But it was against my wishes. I don’t own “mah woman”. If she wants to take a trip with her friend, she can.

But here’s what really blew my mind. Just got off the phone with my boss and explained to him my gf almost definitely has coronavirus and apologized for not being able to come in. He’s like why don’t you come in? We’d really like to have you here for this. I asked if he was sure and he said yes! Now that, imo is insane and no wonder why this isn’t going away any time soon

1 Like

Dude you’ve been going to the gym regularly and you wonder why others around you might not take it seriously and why this thing might not be going away?

7 Likes

Yeah I’m still not sure how Cactus isn’t understanding this part. We think you are just as insane as your girlfriend. You are both hugely at fault here and somehow you feel like this all falls on her shoulders

4 Likes

Obviously she can do what she wants, but you chose to be exposed to her when she got back. Or more accurately, didn’t choose to avoid her for a quarantine period.

1 Like

When did I say I was wondering about anything? People can take it seriously or not when it comes to their own personal risk.

Yes, I was going to the gym regularly and living my life. The world doesn’t stop because of coronavirus. I also wear a mask everywhere I go and am basically in quarantine insofar as I don’t expose anyone else who’s risk adverse. It’s just me, my gf, and my dog. I’m 100% in favor of mandating masks and shutting things down (as long as they take care of those who lose their job because of it).

What would you have done? Kicked her out? She probably would’ve went to her parents house and exposed them. I’d rather she just expose me

“no wonder this isn’t going away” when judging your coworkers but hey just like you said the world doesn’t stop because of covid so maybe they feel the same way and hey if they wear masks in the meeting what’s the big deal you wear a mask everywhere which somehow absolves your risky behavior because you gotta live your life man.

And yeah dude it’s just you, your gf, dog, and the people at the bar, and others at the gym, and whatever other errands you run. If either of you get it at the gym and are asymptomatic I guess you’ll just keep living life and spreading it to others at the gym. Who knows maybe the gun you carry everywhere can shoot covid. It’s still amazing that you would be mad at your gf when like you said covid doesn’t stop the world and gotta live your life lol

11 Likes

You wear the mask actively the entire time you are working out at the gym?

I knew the second Cactus said gym we were in for a multi-day derail. Let’s see if we can make it a week!

4 Likes

Not sure if you’re intentionally misconstruing my words or just a bad reader. Coworkers should be wearing masks because they can’t be sure who is trying to avoid it or might have compromised immune systems. The default should be to assume that everyone does and wear a fucking mask

As to other gym goers, they are obviously willing to accept the risk as am I. I certainly wouldn’t blame anyone at the gym if I get it, since I’m putting myself in that situation

Again, you need to learn how to understand what you read. Maybe start with picture books and work your way up

You’re a dick who’s not even good at trolling. Put me on ignore and find another hobby. You’re not good at this

ahhh so you assume that every other moron at the gym is doing what you two are doing (hey maybe a few of them have a partner who goes to bars or other events where they can spread this shit even more widely) and somehow that makes it ok? lol ok I’m sure none of them are in contact with other people who might be compromised or anything.

the reason this won’t go away and gets worse is because everyone wants to live their life and get shit back to normal and you are part of that problem so fuck off

3 Likes

I wear it when entering or dealing with personnel, but not on the floor. Although I don’t see why one couldn’t perform their workouts wearing a mask. I wear a mask when running, hiking, or biking public trails and while it’s not exactly comfortable, I can still breathe 90% fine thru it

Look. This isn’t going away any time soon. We might be dealing with this for the rest of our lives. Certainly for a few more weeks/months until an approved vaccine comes out. Not everyone has to worry about it. In fact, the overwhelming majority don’t. I just believe that we should all wear masks as a default courtesy to others who either don’t want to be exposed or could be in danger. If you’re at a gym or bar then I’m not going to worry about exposing you unless I tested positive or am sick. You’d have to be an idiot to be at those places if you’re at all worried about catching it

This whole gym convo started because of Wichita letting us know how a gym owner didn’t let anyone know that people were pozzed and it spread to the rest of the people in the classes lol

1 Like

I know people are giving you shit, but I think you’re fine in this spot. A lot of people, including myself have taken up fatalism to get through this. It was really important for me to accept that I could die from this thing if I caught it (am fat) but that all I could control was what I could control. If I didn’t have the money to put a home gym in my house I would probably still be going to the gym because I don’t know how sane I’d be if I couldn’t work out. And nobody @ me and tell me I could walk. You guys don’t know this about me but I have some long term complications from a really bad case of untreated plantar fasciitis that mean running is totally out of the question and the point when the pain starts when I go for a walk is in the 2-3 mile range which is nowhere in the neighborhood of an acceptable cardio exercise for someone who isn’t in completely fucked shape. My elliptical on the other hand I can use indefinitely because I have good shoes and my feet don’t leave the pedals.

We’ve all made our choices to get through this, and we’ll have to own those if we get sick… but we’re way past the point of anyone who didn’t do something mind bogglingly risky like go to a huge event mask free being morally responsible for getting sick or getting someone else sick while taking precautions. We’re on our 9 millionth case today if I recall correctly. The person morally responsible is Donald Trump.