COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

We all know his age had almost nothing to do with why he got the vaccine.

Is the US the first to approve the Moderna vaccine? Seems a bit odd that the UK was substantially faster than us to approve Pfizer but then we’re the first on Moderna. And have Canada or the EU approved either yet?

1 Like

do we? UK plan focuses on people over 80 and are set to do millions in December. Doesn’t seem like he really jumped the line at all tbh

1 Like

Canada and EU approved Pfizer

EU bringing forward Moderna approval to Jan 8th

1 Like

Should cruise past 675k if you don’t assume the deaths magically stop end March '21, just ~120 days away with Biden ‘promising’ to have less than a third ~100 million vaccinated by almost same date - still a great pledge, just subject to vaccine supply and states abilities to get it in arms - and not necesarily going in the arms of those most likely to die.

This argument has already been made and refuted in this thread. Can we move the discussion on your rooftop meat market excursion here? Thanks.

7 Likes

Depends. People likely think that they’ll be indestructible post-vaccination. They really need to be educated. AFAIK, there’s no guarantee that the vaccine will stop the spread. It’ll just reduce the likelihood of a symptomatic course and the negative consequences associated with it.

US is first to approve Moderna which I believe is almost entirely funded by the US government and $1m from Dolly Parton.

UK are probably in no rush to approve Moderna given that we’ve only ordered 5m doses and we’re probably behind the US in terms of any delivery.

Pfizer was approved quick in UK as UK first in line for 8m doses but that now revised to 2.4m doses before end 2020, presumably so the US can get some vaccine. US seems to be getting just 3m doses before year end. Then you have Canada, Japan and EU expecting their first batches of pre-ordered Pfizer January 2021.

Biden will need Moderna approved ASAP to have any hope of getting 97m doses of vaccine before end March 2021

1 Like

All these Government officials getting their shots is really giving me confidence that the vaccine is safe and effective. I’m going to go out and get mine right now. Back in a bit.

3 Likes

Yes, I wish Murdoch had been flown to the US and given the vaccine live on CNN.

See bottom line on image below
UK part of Covax, as are most first world countries - as we might hope US would be under Biden (100m vaccinated by end March would be >20%

France…

2 Likes

I looked at my numbers quickly

Good news- 28 day cfr has inched down to 1.6%. Could just be slow death reporting.

Bad news- national positivity up in the mid teens. We are missing more cases

Expectation- 28 day cfr will go back up but hopefully just back to 1.9-2%. Not climbing to 2.5+ as feared. But can’t rule it out either.

Having pulled states ina couple of weeks but from what I can tell the big states are starting to dominate the math again. Uh-oh.

1 Like

It’s crazy. Now is the time everyone should be hardcore tripling down with zero tolerance.

Instead, too many are doing just the opposite.

I hope the life long effects, at best, are worth it.

Vigilance and cautiousness should be at an all time high over the next six months. There is a light at the end of the tunnel. But lol humans.

3 Likes

But this is stupid as there is clearly a significant chance to incur lifelong side effects that will inhibit your life. This has been known for a while. For that alone literally nobody should want to get it for any reason.

It’s not just about getting over the obvious symptoms while initially infected.

Plus it’s going to be awesome in USA#1 when health insurers are allowed to deny coverage to anyone who had Covid. That will be a fun day.

I have been blasting that on social media for a month now. Will people listen? Of course not. YOU AREN’T TAKING CHRISTMAS FROM ME!!! PLUS THE VACCINE IS HERE IT’S OVER!!!

2 Likes

Dolly Parton is never going to die so I want the Moderna vaccine.

1 Like

I mean, nothing is guaranteed here, but vaccinating people should indeed stop the spread.

Vaccine trip report. Waited 5 minutes to get stabbed. Was done so fast forgot to take a picture. LVN did 10/10 job didn’t even feel it. Made me wait 15 minutes to make sure I don’t have a reaction in a room with exactly zero medical equipment in it as far as I could tell. Next appt to be done after a night shift in the morning in 3 weeks.

4/5 stars, -1 for the waiting 15 minutes.

eta: also, was not kept at -70 or whatever. They had it at 40F. Apparently stable for a few days that way.

27 Likes

What? Are they worried about some freak allergy response?

Apparently, which was dumb but whatever.

1 Like