COVID-19: Chapter 7 - Brags, Beats, and Variants

I mean, nothing is guaranteed here, but vaccinating people should indeed stop the spread.

Vaccine trip report. Waited 5 minutes to get stabbed. Was done so fast forgot to take a picture. LVN did 10/10 job didnā€™t even feel it. Made me wait 15 minutes to make sure I donā€™t have a reaction in a room with exactly zero medical equipment in it as far as I could tell. Next appt to be done after a night shift in the morning in 3 weeks.

4/5 stars, -1 for the waiting 15 minutes.

eta: also, was not kept at -70 or whatever. They had it at 40F. Apparently stable for a few days that way.

27 Likes

What? Are they worried about some freak allergy response?

Apparently, which was dumb but whatever.

1 Like

This is the crux. In my circle of acquaintances, which has been pretty good about compliance and mitigation, rumblings are surfacing that vaccine availability is the reason they will be laxer going forward (starting now). Compliance/mitigation fatigue is a real thing and it doesnā€™t take much to start the ball rolling in the other direction.

Normal caveats about personal anecdotes apply.

https://twitter.com/mikeisaac/status/1340015667114733569?s=21

9 Likes

LOCKDOWN!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/MollyJongFast/status/1339998356479873026

Is there some kind of counter/tracker up for vaccinated?

I posted about my 82-year old great-aunt who lives in a home for the elderly and got diagnosed with Covid 10 days ago in the other thread.

Update is that she only had a light fever for a few days and has since been feeling rather weak. Otherwise she is fine which is great. Well mentally the isolation isnā€˜t great for her, but physically she is as well as you can expect.

Germany has now been under a harsher lockdown for a few days, but we are still a week away from it affecting the numbers. Because of the holidays it seems like we will be flying blind concerning the numbers. So I am not sure they will lift things as planned on January 10 even if numbers start trending down.

In my town the major churches have voluntarily cancelled Christmas services (religious services are exempt from the lockdown). It seems like most people are taking it seriously again.

22 Likes

At this rate we will have everyone vaccinated by 2514.

6 Likes
1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say it was refuted. What was established in that thread was that there are varying degrees of risk that individuals could take before being considered collectively irresponsible. I was in that group. Give me your daily/weekly itinerary and activity and we could come up with things youā€™re currently doing that could be more responsible as well

Unfortunately, we/you donā€™t get to dictate how responsible other individuals are

Looked more into the Pfizer efficacy by time since, you know, Iā€™ve had the vaccine.

Thereā€™s a huge error bar at 12 days, but itā€™s 52% effective with an error bar +/- ~25% at day 12. If you take 52% effectiveness then itā€™s basically the same as a flu shot in a year where they missed on what spread that year.

At day 28, or 7 days beyond the second dose, itā€™s 95%.

Iā€™m soooooo close.

13 Likes

The people who matter the most are those we care about the least.

2 Likes

Efficacy is the degree to which a vaccine prevents disease, and possibly also transmission, under ideal and controlled circumstances ā€“ comparing a vaccinated group with a placebo group. Effectiveness meanwhile refers to how well it performs in the real world. Although a vaccine that has high efficacy ā€“ such as Modernaā€™s COVID-19 vaccine with 94.5% efficacy and Pfizerā€™s with 90% efficacy ā€“ would be expected to be highly effective in the real world, it is unlikely to translate into the same effectiveness in practice.

Might be a bit early to be measuring effectiveness compared to the flu vaccine used in the real world

lol no itā€™s not, they literally did the study. Is it your life goal to prove me wrong once or what?

1 Like

Who is ā€˜theyā€™ that have already studied the effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine? Efficacy has been studied but not effectiveness

HOW DO WE MEASURE EFFECTIVENESS?

When a vaccine is given to the population, factors, such as the medication people are taking, underlying chronic illnesses, age, and how the vaccine is stored and administered under everyday conditions, can reduce how effective the vaccine is at preventing disease.

Any medical care that isnā€™t covered by insurance should be billed directly to this church and taken from its coffers.

To think theyā€™re skating by tax free while negligently putting such a burden on their own community