COVID-19: Chapter 6 - ThanksGRAVING

I wonder if it will really be distributed like that though. I think it’s gonna be

1. Healthcare workers and First Responders
  2. Those on Medicare (which will include nursing homes)
  3. Those with premium health insurance

4.Those with normal insurance.

1. Medicaid (which will have the majority of highest risk citizens)

2. Those with no insurance.

How is someone that doesn’t have health insurance gonna prove they are high risk and that they should go ahead of a healthy person with a documented history of their health?

Also, wealthy, famous people, and athletes will be way at the top of the list even though they shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

Its probably rude of me to talk about how I don’t miss restaurants, movies, parties, etc. The only thing I miss because of covid is @Bro.

5 Likes

Cactus doesn’t ring a bell. Or does he???

My state has started doing this thing where at every place where people congregate - restaurants, pubs, shops etc - there’s a QR code at the entrance and you have to scan it with your phone camera, it resolves to a URL and you check in with your name and phone number, it sending you a text message with a code to verify the number.

After a bunch of people were like “hurrrr I’m not installing the government covid app, muh privacy” this is like 100x more surveillancey than that and has happened without a peep from anyone. I mean I don’t care, I’m doing both, but it’s amusing to me.

2 Likes

UC Davis having psychiatrists sign up for emergency help in ICU and floors. Probably doing other specialties too, but I know some people from Davis who are in psych elsewhere and they sent me this tweet. The no skills person has my respect.

https://twitter.com/amybarnhorst/status/1337646829614186506?s=21

Running the covid tent again later today.

California looks bad

2 Likes
1 Like

My roommate went to a bachelorette party in Vegas like a month ago.

Btw that Florida player that collapsed is the type of thing that happens to someone who has myocarditis and he was confirmed covid positive in the summer. Lots of other things possible though too.

1 Like

Yeah sports will be completely normal in 2021 since they’ll all be vaccinated.

Ballpark figure, what amount do you think it would take to just jump the line as it stands and what would you pay?

Question is motivated largely by the nhl trying to buy vaccines for all the players.

What counts as an essential worker? Like would my friend who works in a warehouse that was deemed essential and never shut down going to get it?

I’m not as sure wealth will be able to buy vaccines like they did with tests. Obviously will be able to get some out, but I don’t think this will be like testing at least.

The fans won’t be though. Coronavirus is really gonna love full stadiums with high percentages of unvaccinated folks.

I think packed stadia are certainly not a lock for next fall. And without those, I don’t think you can say sports will be “completely normal”.

Chris Hayes had a journalist last night who said that there are global supply chain issues with proteinase K, the reagent used both for the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines and PCR covid tests. Supposedly this will impact mass production of deliverable vaccine next year.

Any biochem folks out there with more knowledge? Can supply of this be prioritized/ramped up? Defense Production Act?

Correct

But I mean no more postponed/cancelled games and a normal schedule

Big crowds need herd immunity first

Rapid tests would be awesome

That’s a pretty interesting question from both a financial and a moral standpoint.

Leaving morality out of it I’d definitely pay $5K each for my wife and I. Kids are more complicated, it’s not approved for under 16, they come into contact with far fewer people than we do, and are much less likely to have bad consequences from getting sick.

Morally, if it meant that much higher risk people were going to wait longer I don’t think I could do it.

There isn’t any social event or work requirement I miss. Covid has made my life better in many ways, if I ignore the impact on everyone else. And the depleting savings.

But what I do miss is casual nonchalance. Being able to leave the house without anxiety about walking through the building avoiding people. Being able to walk to the beach without worrying about the moment when I get far enough from people in the middle of the sand that I can take my mask off. Popping into the grocery store or the drive thru. Talking to someone on the street or petting someone else’s dog. Seeing if someone else can accommodate my confusingly large penis without worrying if they will breathe on me.

I realize these are first world problems. A world without bars would have been a much better place for me to live.

4 Likes

Supermarkets around here solved this by forcing everyone to use a shopping cart. In your case they would be 300 shopping carts and if none are available you have to wait outside until one is returned. The carts also help people distancing. The drug store did the same thing with shopping baskets.

3 Likes