I want more modding, do you?

I’m not sure rules and guidelines on what mods should or should not do really matter. The simple fact is the mods do whatever they feel is appropriate and will not result in significant backlash. They’re not going over a checklist to make sure they’re in full compliance with §423.01a(rev. 2.3). Personally I think that’s fine, and there’s really no practical way to codify most of this stuff anyway.

What I do think is apparent is that there is a rough consensus that the moderators aren’t quite doing as much as many would prefer to keep things reasonably civil around here. There doesn’t seem to be a widespread desire for a Didsian iron fist, just for a little more effort to prevent the worst of the dumb drama, or at least lessen its frequency.

I also realize that some here don’t mind the dumb drama at all, and at times even enjoy it. But this is a place we all have to share, and that dumb drama is a huge turnoff for lots of people. We should be able to find a compromise where dumb drama is allowed its place in limited circumstances, but isn’t given the opportunity to metastasize and seriously impact the forum experience for the large majority who want nothing to do with it.

Cliffs: Moderators should moderate moderately more, but only in moderation.

13 Likes

Thank you, that was extremely unhelpful.

1 Like

Silent majority

S1E28, A Nice Place to Visit!

2 Likes

1 Like

Ive never been moderated here or 2p2 and id rather not have a more heavy hand or no insult rule. Partly because the insults just get woven into the arguments. And partly because this only comes up when they are directed at some but not others.

No one started a thread about the insults here. And yes i know they are going all directions. Still it seems people are ok with insults just not if they are made to the cool kids.

5 Likes

That’s confusing to me as well. For example, I think even in amongst this weekend’s drama there were some people arguing that Inso shouldn’t have been banned. Maybe I’m wrong and nobody was actually saying that, but it seems like there was some disagreement, when from my point of view it should have been a slam dunk turbo ban.

Anyway, I think maybe some folks here weight the “free speech” type of values more than the “be nice (or at least don’t be a complete asshole)” values. That’s a valid point of view.

For my part, I just think that with a small increase in anti-asshole policies and actions we can maintain the free speech values, but with less angst and drama. Shrug emoji

2 Likes

Good post.

This is a great post. There are definitely 2 sets of rules, or boundaries here. There is also one mod who openly seeks out areas to spew his aggression.

3 Likes

Thanks mang.

Oh, and by the way,

Sent with good intentions, I assure you!

1 Like

I absolutely do. Especially since modding has been next to zero.

1 Like

I’m not sure what you mean by the bolded?

I can’t speak to that thread specifically because I put it on mute as soon as it got split out from the COVID megathread, but, since you brought it up…

Look, I agree with what I think you are saying, which is that the rules should apply equally and fairly to everybody. That’s important, and we don’t want cabals of mods smacking down their enemies and empowering their cliques (to use a word that got used a lot this weekend).

However, as we’ve seen, different people can see the same situation and interpret it differently. If you see examples of unequal treatment, make a thread here and let’s get the community to weigh in. If there is a mod who is abusing their status, let’s take a look and see what should be done.

I’m actually trying to make things a little more concrete in some small way so these kind of issues are easier to grapple with. I acknowledge that injustice is possible here and this won’t fix all of it, but my take is, let’s not let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

2 Likes

2 Likes

Okay, y’all I’m off to bed. I’ll be busy with work tomorrow so I don’t know if I’ll have the time or mental/emotional bandwidth to continue to be super engaged with this thread.

But if anybody else, especially the less prolific posters, has thoughts about this question I’d really like to hear them. The more voices the better, imo.

Last thought before I shut it down: Should I/we post about this thread in a few (emphasis on few) of the more highly-trafficked threads in an effort to get more input? We’ve done that on some occasions before, and maybe it would be good here too? Thoughts?

3 Likes

Yes. And I believe you are a good person to do so.

I mean people will say that is a stupid thing to say, not your stupid. Really they are both calling someone stupid, mostly. They also get hidden in snark, sarcasm and condescension.

You can make a rule they are not allowed. But they will still be there, just underneath the covers.

Im not even really sure what rules are being proposed accept dont be a ass. Which i would guess includes no insults. And like i said you can still be an ass without them.

I just like it when everyone is kind of an asshole is the thing. But that means we get out of line from time to time. And that’s okay as long as we all agree to chill the fuck out if someone says to chill the fuck out.

I like the idea of community policing of sorts. Just hope its somewhat even handed.

And when that does not work mods can move the argument to its own thread so the people who do not like the petty bickering can get some peace.

1 Like

We only need one rule here

Here’s how to put this into action

1. Type out a post
  2. Ask yourself “Am I being a c*nt in this post?”
    3a. If you think you might be, don’t post it
    3b. If you know you’re not one, post

If everyone does this, the community will improve dramatically.

2 Likes

Disagree. The people who most need to modulate their behavior tend to be the least willing and least aware they need to.

1 Like