Walrus Grab Bag 4 Reveal

wal

Welcome. This is where we stop mithering about categories and submissions and get to the point—mithering about songs (and categories and submissions).

Etiquette

Think we should aim for just one reveal a day, though if schedules demand more then they demand it. It’d be good to post your intention, and I will attempt to keep an OFFICIAL SCHEDULE up to date in the second post of the thread (and re-posted liberally).

What’s a reveal?

Easiest thing to do is read one in the previous Grab Bag thread.

But the essentials are you do a post per song, with the score given, the YT link and some words summarising your thoughts about it. Reveals are traditionally done in reverse order.

Best to @ everyone a little while before you start.

Scoring

12th and last place = 1 point, 1st place = 12 points, fill in the gaps.

(Spoddy maths note, I’ll shift CanadaMatt’s points to be out of 12 in the OFFICIAL SPREADSHEET, which is, for legal purposes, the LAW.)

Timing

Afraid as a pathetic Euro I’ll be tucked up in bed by 7pm Eastern at the latest, so if it’s after that then I won’t be about to clear up who submitted what. In the past we’ve often done them before that and it seems to produce a rail, but I’m not going to impose my daytime on the rest of you, obviously.

Best thing to do is advertise the rough start time when you book a slot.

When do we start?

Now!

@smrk4
@Yuv
@eyebooger
@seities
@Pauwl
@nano
@CanadaMatt3004
@cassette
@NotBruceZ
@superuberbob
@LouisCyphre
@SwankyWilder
@Nicholasp27

9 Likes

OFFICIAL SCHEDULE

Name Time
Pauwl 2021-04-03T19:00:00Z
Nano 2021-04-04T21:00:00Z
Superuberbob 2021-04-05T18:00:00Z
Les Autres Afterwards
6 Likes

I’ll set my reveal for Saturday at 3pm ET (Traditional Time).

8 Likes

I can go on Sunday at 5 pm (ET).

10 Likes

Monday 8 PM CEST (2 PM EST)

9 Likes

Oh my, we’re off to a flyer!

4 Likes

Had a few drinks, but I feel like a few of these entries are straight up trolling me.

@CanadaMatt3004 could have easily podiumed this.

1 Like

My difficulty with yours was that everything I like that’s really loud I was pretty sure you’d hate, backed up by that I don’t really listen to anything like any of your examples. So then trying to find something that I liked, I thought you might like, and was also sufficiently ‘loud’ involved too many value judgements to comfortably keep in mind at once.

Or, shorter—might be me, so sorry. (But it’s your own damn fault!)

3 Likes

Everything is loud if you turn the volume up. I can listen to James Taylor cranked up to eleven.

1 Like

I misread Bruce’s instructions…I thought I was supposed to troll you in my submission to you, not him

1 Like

Before the kick off later, a word about JOKERS.

The idea about them was to not reveal the JOKERS until after the final category for maximum excitement (and score uncertainty). That seems a decent goal and means, obviously, not saying when your JOKER song gets revealed.

I’m not going to be mandating this (not really my scene and we’re all grown ups), so it’s up to you all, but figured I’d at least re-state the intention.

As a side note, then 6 contestants are the only ones to have played JOKERS in particular Categorys. Then there’s a Category where 2 contestants will go JOKER vs JOKER, and, finally, no fewer than 4 others all compete in the most JOKERed category around. Possibly a few tears there.

GOOD LUCK

PS For fans of fair play I PMed my joker selection to Louis before the deadline so I can’t game it later. Not that that idea has even entered my head yet, that’s how all about fair play I am.

4 Likes

Oh nice another contest/thread full of music I probably will never add to my playlist. :rofl:

2 Likes

I kind of think it would be more fun to reveal JOKERS as they happen, but maybe we can try that next time. Good to see how it goes this way once.

1 Like

@pyatnitski
@smrk4
@Yuv
@eyebooger
@seities
@nano
@CanadaMatt3004
@cassette
@NotBruceZ
@superuberbob
@LouisCyphre
@SwankyWilder
@Nicholasp27

Gather 'round!

6 Likes

Almost ready.

2 Likes

Category host name: Pauwl
Category: Electronic - A song featuring electronic music elements. Keyboards, synths, etc. Songs with lyrics preferred. Not looking for EDM.
Musical tastes: I like stuff from nearly every genre, but I mostly listen to indie rock and the sub genres under that. Genres I like that would fit this category would be dream pop, new wave and other experimental stuff that I guess falls under electronic rock. I do not like symphonic metal or nu-metal stuff like Linkin Park. No techno/trance type stuff.
Any other judging notes: Overly familiar songs will be penalized. I want to hear music that is new to me. That said, there is a possibility for a lot of popular music, that I’ve never heard before, to do well in this category.

Having said all that, this is what I would have entered:

4 Likes

Alright, let us begin. Posting into the void.

In 12th place with 1 point

Alan Parsons Project - The Raven

Review

Bless your heart.

Rather than rag on this song, I’ll tell a story. In around 2001, my friend was in a doom/goth band called “Quoth the Raven”. I still roll my eyes at that name. They played a Halloween party at a house near us, where they played in the basement. They even had a guy on an organ. It was pretty cool. During a break, my brother got hold of the mic and did his Cannibal Corpse impression. Amplified, it was amazing. I think he was yelling “devoured by vermin” or something. I remember thinking it was kind of awkward, because he basically showed up the actual singer in the band.

Anyway, this song would have been a good fit for NBZ’s category.

4 Likes

I enjoyed the story, but I also didn’t mind the song. I do have a weakness for 70s prog-y nonsense.

5 Likes