Walrus Grab Bag 4 Reveal

In 11th place with 2 points

NIN – Gave Up (remix by Danny Hyde, Coil). – Fixed

Review

Weirdness is good. Song not so much. Industrial techno? Makes me think of The Crow.

Anyway, be nice Pauwl.

3 Likes

yeah i’m kinda surprised. i mean i’m conceptually allergic to it, but it’s not a song i would have guessed gonna end up in the ‘bless your heart’ spot.

1 Like

Oh that’s gotta hurt.

1 Like

I liked this one too. Worried.

1 Like

In 10th place with 3 points

Emilie Autumn - Swallow

Review

This sounds like what my nephew listened to in junior high before his drum and bass phase. I always have to bite my lip around him because he’s always telling me how awesome his music is. It has good energy and I can see how people would feel inspired by this or something. Just not my thing.

3 Likes

Avoided the nodium, so this is already going much better than Grab Bag 3.

5 Likes

Revealing the nodium is always kind of awkward.

Sorry if I was rude. Don’t take it harshly if I didn’t like your song. I’m just some hipster doofus. You get to drop your 2 lowest scores in the end. So don’t worry about it.

3 Likes

In 9th place with 4 points

Yaz (also known as Yazoo in the UK) - Only You

Review

You had the right idea going 80s. The song is ok. I liked it. It just doesn’t really stand out to me. This band has former Depeche Mode member Vince Clarke. Should have just went full on Depeche Mode and would have ranked much higher.

5 Likes

That was massive in the UK, nice to hear it again.

Actually, a quick Google reveals the version I most remember was a cover a year or so later by The Flying Pickets. That version was awesome, but it’s a cappella so not eligible here.

Memories!

4 Likes

If you were gonna pick a song called “Only You” for this category, why not this one?

3 Likes

In 8th place with 5 points

Conjure One - I Believe

Submitter Commentary: One of y’all is eventually going to like a Conjure One song I submit, and it’s going to be you Pauwl. Ok, no it’s not, but maybe you’ll tell me why I should stop trying.

Review

This song isn’t so bad. This could do well with some other hosts. Never give up!
A little too positive/pop for my tastes. It gets pretty good at the end of the song. “There is no love in this world anymore”.

3 Likes

The Pauwl zone is now the smrk4 zone

3 Likes

In 7th place with 6 points

Minimal Compact - Next One Is Real (extended mix)

Submitter Commentary: The album was produced by Tuxedomoon and this remix by Dick O’dell was actually an underground new-wave club hit in the 80s.

Review

I liked this song. Sounds kinda menacing. I like that sort of thing. I don’t know where I’ve heard it before. In a movie or something. I always thought it was “Next One Israel”. It’s an Israeli band so maybe that’s the underlying message.

4 Likes

Me,too.

Me neither.

2 Likes

Can’t watch the video because Youtube wants me to verify my age. Fuck that.

That’s a good thing, right?

1 Like

Yeah i figured im not gonna do well based on liking your nodiums. Still haven’t figured out your music taste.

1 Like

Yeah, this one sounds like the perfect club scene of an 80s action movie song.

1 Like

In 6th place with 7 points

Animal Collective - Peacebone

Submitter Commentary: Sounds like “Mr. Blue Sky” written by somebody on an acid trip. Gotta say that I got hooked on them. Definitely a bit out there but they hit that indie pop you love while having an experimental element to that music.

Review

" that indie pop you love". Shots Fired!!

Intro psyched me out. This is an enjoyable “experimental pop” band. Whatever that means. Apparently it’s a term used for Bjork and this band. Fair enough. I guess it’s pop lyrics over weird sounds. The song is good enough. Droning weird sounds over simple lyrics. It does get a little repetitive. I like the music video more than the song itself lol.

3 Likes

Let me put it this way:

Pauwl’s nephew >>>>>>>>> Pauwl

1 Like

Wasn’t my thing either but it ain’t about picking songs I like :slight_smile:

Thought that song was fine but the rest of their stuff wasn’t great imo