Walrus Grab Bag 4 Reveal

I’m a simple man. I see a reveal in progress, I start spamming likes.

Also still in LETS FUCKING GOOOOOO

7 Likes

Yeah, that songs takes me back.

1 Like

In 5th place with 8 points

Craven Faults - Diepkeir (Abridged)

Review

This was a really good entry. I love stuff like this in my Walrus playlists. I get to just relax and enjoy it. No stupid lyrics getting in the way. The kind of atmospheric ambient music that I don’t listen to enough. This song/band are pretty obscure. I only found a bandcamp. Very cool entry. Thank you.

2 Likes

This was me, totally missed the bit about lyrics preferred until just now so relieved to make it this far. I think the Spotify algorithm found Craven Faults for me a while back, my best musical discovery of the last year or so.

1 Like

In 4th place with 9 points

St Vincent - Birth in Reverse

Submitter Commentary: Seems like this should fit what you’re looking for. Hopefully it’s at least somewhat new to you because it’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the category and I couldn’t bring myself to go in any other direction.

Review

This is one of the songs that was entered that I know very well. I’ve always loved Annie. She recently released a new music video for “Pay your Way in Pain” for the new album that is to drop in a month or so. While this is a good song and I quite like it, I have heard it alot before so it ends up just missing the podium. Very good entry, though.

3 Likes

This one is mine. Thought there was a risk of familiarity, but was worth it on the off-chance it was completely new.

2 Likes

So it goes. Now we have reached the podium.

Bonne Chance!

4 Likes

Go Nano Go!

6 Likes

In 3rd place with 10 points

John Frusciante and Josh Klinghoffer - The Afterglow

Review

This is again a song I know very well. But it’s from a time in my life much further back than the previous song. I was big into John Frusciante in university. I had all his albums from that period and his older more obscure stuff. I think I’ve entered John Frusciante twice in past walruses. Someone possibly did their research. This album was kind of a step towards electronic music for me because before this I mostly listened to guitar based indie rock type stuff. I think “Communique” would have been my favorite song on this album but it’s less electronic I guess.

Good nostalgia entry for me. Very well done.

3 Likes

In 2nd place with 11 points

Jack Stauber - Buttercup

Submitter Commentary: The first track on Jack Stauber’s 2017 album Pop Food. Jack Stauber is a 24-year-old American singer known for his eccentric songs and Youtube channel. This video is from a short film but Jack Stauber is known to animate a lot of his videos.

Review

Excellent song by someone I’ve never heard of. Has kind of an MGMT or Starfucker feel to it. This was a very good choice and is the kinda thing I would listen to IRL.

Holy shit, I just saw this " 188,228,052 views" Good lord, I’m out of touch.

The fact that he animates his own videos made me think of Chad VanGaalen. Here’s a little treat for you all. Warning: Scary/Disturbing but amazing.

4 Likes

Sweet

6 Likes

Nice job Nano!!!

Not so surprising.

4 Likes

This is what his animation usually looks like:

3 Likes

Nice reveal and the fastest turn-around in the business. I didn’t expect much for my entry and that’s exactly what I got.

5 Likes

In 1st place with 12 points

Patience - White of an Eye

Review

And we have the winner. Synth Pop takes it all. So many cheat codes that nobody used except this person. This is all I ever wanted for this category. This is the most enjoyable song of the bunch. Reminds me of Au Revoir Simone a little. Kind of an 80’s throwback with that dreamy quality that I love. Just sit back and enjoy. All your problems melt away.

7 Likes

I like it

4 Likes

I wasn’t willing to listen to synth pop to be #1.

6 Likes

And thus my reveal is complete

7 Likes

Early days. Everyone near the bottom also has the consolation that Pauwl himself is doing even worse.

R1

5 Likes

Congrats @SwankyWilder. Great Song!

Great Job @nano ! First ever Walrus and you get an instant podium!

6 Likes