UP's Blind Spot for Sexism and Misogyny

I’m pretty disappointed in the forum that this was allowed to fly without anyone else jumping in to call out @MikeLikesOrgies, who I am guessing is someone’s gimmick, but I don’t know for sure.

When we’ve got people calling women “swamp donkeys” and then defending it by saying it’s okay because it’s “not all women,” and I’m the only one calling it out, nobody else flagged it, nobody else wanted to step in, that’s unfortunate.

Also what’s with people borrowing arguments from deplorables (not all women are swamp donkeys so it’s okay to call some that is the same line of “reasoning” racists used to use for the n-word).

Anyway, I made this post because this community has been called out for this type of thing before, and we’ve failed to improve enough. We need to do better.

6 Likes

Hadnt caught that.

It’s super gross Mike, and you should refrain from saying shit like that going forward.

Ideally, you should refrain from THINKING shit like that going forward, but that’s up to whether you want to be a better person than your use of “swamp donkeys” lets on

1 Like

Wonder if his IP matches raids

2 Likes

I caught it, but I honestly didn’t have the emotional energy to deal with it. Also, people don’t listen to victims, but they do listen more to allies that are like them. That’s why it’s so important for white people to speak up for BLM, and men to call this shit out when they see it.

Thanks for being a good ally, cuse.

Personally, I’ve been in male-dominated spaces for the vast majority of my life (professional and personal) and I’ve grown so inured to talk like this that it barely affects me anymore, but that doesn’t make it right.

13 Likes

Maybe Swamp Donkey is not considered offensive in his culture.

13 Likes

I never even heard of that phrase before.

4 Likes

Google tells me that “swamp donkey” is used in western Canada to refer to moose.

2 Likes

I think UP is sometimes uncritically sexist. I don’t 100% know what to make of mikelovesorgies and the term he used, but it doesn’t look good and I don’t know why we’d go hunting for a technical meaning of the term to try and save it.

Edit - sorry, obviously I do know why, it’s explained in my first sentence, isn’t it?

1 Like

Possible, and I was probably guilty of hyperbole, but I interpret some posts in the thread to be hinting towards a “who knows what he means” defence. But they could just be jokes and/or I could be being too sensitive in this instance.

Maybe his country doesn’t have the word “donkey” and people picked up the phrase context-free decades ago from US TV, after which it became commonly used in his whole continent, albeit still an offensive term for an unattractive woman that shouldn’t be used here (or anywhere).

No, wait, google shows a recent article from his country’s right wing rag the Daily Heil, using the word “donkey”. Got 'im!

1 Like

Ahh, right. I muted that thread as it stemmed from the neighbours debate that I had already muted.

Sounds like you’re referring to my post in this thread.

I legit have never heard of the phrase before. That’s why I made that statement.

Yeah, that was one of them. I think it’s clear how the term will be taken by most people most of the time, so I think it’s irrelevant as a defence.

As I said to ggoreo, happy to admit to possible over sensitiveness in thinking pointing that out was relevant.

Yeah you certainly weren’t in the group I was calling out, it’s not your job to police this stuff, it’s ours. Not just for your sake, either. We have very few women here and every now and then it comes up and people discuss whether we should change to be more welcoming, and so far we clearly have not.

I’d like us to, but clearly we have a lot of work to do.

Yeah, I had never heard of it, but it was pretty obvious how it was being used.

If u have policed the issue yourself , why do others need to police it ? You read is also wrong , I’m not “ somebody’s gimmick” . Do u really think somebody would create a gimmick to hope they would have an opportunity to use a term that they hoped offended u? It’s not all about u dude. Sorry the term offended u.

1 Like

To create a community atmosphere where sexism and misogyny are roundly rejected.

I apologize, I was wrong about that. I’m sorry.

No, I think people who have gimmicks might post weirdly/offensively when their regular screenname isn’t attached to it.

I’m a man, so this isn’t about me at all, it’s about trying to be more welcoming to women and take as strong of a stance on sexism an misogyny as we do on other types of bigotry.

I’m fine, but it’d be great if you rethought your views on this and at the very least made an effort not to use words that would offend women, or any other group. Thanks!

2 Likes

cuse for mod

or influential poster <3

I had never heard it either. I learned it from a group of lesbians on my coed kickball team. They told me it was a rural version of trailer park trash. I am fully aware it’s never a compliment, but I guess the harshness of its meaning can differ from place to place. The urban dictionary says it’s more like a leech . Idk have a good one

lol

D- must try harder