The Great C-Word Referendum - A Poll

There has been a considerable amount of debate surrounding the use of the word “c***” (you can figure out what word that is) and a high amount of vitriol behind the discussion.

Here is the original thread/poll: The C-Word

Recognize that even the winning option provides that the word can be moderated if used in a sexist manner. The usage of this word, and its difference in meaning between various cultures, has been debated TO DEATH.

So we tried self-moderation, that did not work. The UK posters were very gracious (and still are) about not using this word, but, unfortunately there are still people who are going to use it no matter what. I want to thank everyone who self-censored during this period.

However, there are those in the community that still will use the word, whether to be edgy, insulting, or whatever. I can post examples if you want them, it’s still going to happen. A middle ground was discussed - what if we just bleep the word, so people can still use it, but the people it offends will not have to see it. Most people seemed pretty happy with this middle ground. The poll is here:

Which was voted yes with a pretty good margin. You should subtract one vote from the “yes” because I mistakenly voted twice.

Now, I do not see this as a very big deal. What I do see as a big deal is losing valuable contributors to this forum over this word. I do not think anyone is going to quit if we bleep it. Here is what it will look like:

■■■■

Now that’s not so bad. I, as admin, implemented this based on the community and moderator feedback. It was pointed out by @SenorKeed that the poll I acted on was buried in the C-word thread, which is fair. So here it is.

I’m really asking the community to please consider that we will probably lose posters if you vote no. Debate around this is kind of setting this forum ablaze. Let’s just end it now.

Should forum software bleep the word “c***”?
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

I am going to ask the @moderators to please moderate any bickering in this thread, take it to the C-word thread. This is just for voting and discussion around the vote.

We can’t have asterisks? I think that looks horrible.

3 Likes

I will look into it, but the short answer is right now this is what we have. I can probably write a plugin to make them asterisks - that would be both enjoyable for me, and would make this look a lot better. But right now, I don’t know if that’s possible. I’m just assuming it is.

3 Likes

Would asterisks move your vote to yes?

This is my view.

5 Likes

No. I think it’s a pointless action, doubly so since it’s the only word being censored. If you tell me that when you say ‘banana’ you mean ‘asshole’ and then you call me a banana, I know you mean ‘asshole’. Filtering it to ‘genius’ would be better because at least that’s funny.

There’s probably no way to exempt UK-centric threads, so it’s just the American way or the highway. It’s a bad sign for this place, both the inability of people to stop using it where it’s extremely unwelcome and the impatience of the objectors to waiting and seeing if maybe that could work after a while.

6 Likes

I honestly agree with you - I think it’s silly, but it matters to people who are valuable contributors here. I would hate to lose them over something like this.

I think it could be possible to just mute it everywhere but a certain few topics, but again, that probably requires me writing some sort of plugin. Which I am totally willing to do, I enjoy that stuff a lot.

Why bleep any words beyond racial/ethnic slurs?

We’re smart enough to know what words people mean what they type things censored or not. All you’re doing is writing the word without writing it. Instead of us reading it we have to figure it out by context.

Reminds me of this bit

1 Like
  1. It’s a lot better from a search engine traffic perspective that it’s censored than it’s not, even if human readers can know the difference.
  2. I’m fine with adding a few more words to the filter if that’s what is necessary to keep you on your toes. There are some obvious candidates.
  3. Generally, I weigh the opinions of people who are hurt and marginalized by a term far greater than those who are not. You encountering 4 blocks when using a preferred curse is a way smaller deal than huge chunks of American women, including some already here, concluding that any site that would tolerate such language is definitely no place for them.
4 Likes

Not in my name, please. It is a little futile, though.

You encountering 4 blocks when using a preferred curse is a way smaller deal than huge chunks of American women, including some already here, concluding that any site that would tolerate such language is definitely no place for them.

So do we get it back if we wait five years and still have ~no women?

Seemed to me the issue was about dead before RegretS necro’d the thread to demand it be locked.

2 Likes

I will quit if yes.

why aren’t we censoring the n-word? If the n-word was bleeped but in a recognizable way would you tolerate its use? Not in any malicious way, obviously. I don’t see why any other word should be treated any differently.

I’m 100% for banning the n word, f****t, and any other slur. In fact I’d like to see those kinds of words be put into the category of “do not allow a post with this word in it” which is possible in the forum software.

Just words that Americans find offensive?

Can we just rename the site to US Unstuck or something and be honest about it?

1 Like

Everyone who you’ve spoken with about your pet slurs has been receptive to dropping them from use at the very least, and to various moderation solutions also.

The n word is pretty offensive to a pretty large global audience. I’m sure you can point to examples where it’s used quite commonly, but there’s no context in which that isn’t a racist word.

There are plenty examples of successful, global websites that ban these words. It’s not some phenomenon that’s unique to us. This is a solved issue. It’s been solved. I still do not get why we are here arguing about it - but I’ve long been maintaining that this is actually about something else altogether (and I know I’m correct, and I’m glad others are finally seeing it too). but I don’t wanna get dragged into all of that because honestly I see both sides’ points and have no opinion.

1 Like

As I said in the moderation thread, still makes me cringe to read it but I really hate words being censored in a discussion forum.

1 Like

N should have been the first banned imo bcause it’s unacceptable in all English-speaking countries, though as it’s never going to be used except by someone about to be perma’d I guess it’s somewhat academic.

I voted yes simply because I don’t want to lose posters over it. But if it’s banned and not other words, like n* and f* that were mentioned previously, seems weird. But maybe the difference is that if posters were using those words it would be an auto ban or something, idk im not a mod.

1 Like

I think the assumption is that we as a community have just collectively decided not to use those words. It’s not an issue - and if it were I have no doubt we would ban them. The c-word, for whatever reason, is an issue for us.

1 Like