The C-Word

We’ve had extensive usage of the word ■■■■■■ and discussion of its acceptability in too many threads. Let’s establish a community standard via a poll.

What are your thoughts on the word ■■■■■■■
  • The c-word is almost always sexist and offensive per se, and it should be moderated (usually by hiding posts, but more if that doesn’t slow repeat users)
  • The c-word is almost always sexist and offensive per se, but I generally oppose using moderation to discourage its use
  • The c-word, while it can be used in an offensive manner, it’s a casual vulgarity that should not be moderated unless used in an explicitly sexist manner.
  • Words have different meanings in different cultures, and so while an American poster using the term is almost certainly sexist and should be moderated, a poster from the British Isles should have greater leeway to use the term.
  • I don’t really buy into the idea of “bad words” and don’t think they should be subject to moderation.
  • I have another opinion that I’m sharing below.
  • OMG who the hell cares? Fuck off, you ■■■■■

0 voters

This poll will close Next Tuesday.

I strongly vote for banning, bigly. I dont mean that as an attack on the people who use it, but it is never necessary and this community is pretty male dominant. I think its a very common sense restriction.

1 Like

Forgot to make the poll public. If you were one of the fast few to vote early, please vote again.

See you next tuesday

25 Likes

@BestOf

2 Likes

I would suggest framing the polling choices in a different (and maybe simpler) way. We don’t have to decide on banning all words at this time.

Instead we can just decide between the actual policy choices here, which in my view are:

• Ban usage of ■■■■ with penalties involved for those who violate the rules (penalties can be determined later if this option wins)
  • Censor ■■■■ for everyone
  • Have opt-in censorship (seems like this is feasible based on the Florida man feature)
  • Have opt-out censorship
  • No censorship or ban

Can’t speak for anyone else, but what bothers me personally isn’t the word itself. I’m sure I’ve used it and much worse many times. It’s the fact that when it’s pointed out why certain language is insensitive particularly in a public setting, the response isn’t to pause and reflect, but to respond combatively and demand the right to say whatever they damn please.

I voted for option 2 with the logic that it should be treated the way the r-word generally is here. Meaning posters are free and encouraged to call it out when they see it without a specific need for moderation unless it starts going too far.

6 Likes

I accidentally voted in support of “no moderation.” Please can I change my vote?

I just want to say I personally have no issues with any words and don’t find words inherently offensive with the exception of the n word, which even then can be used appropriately and in a friendly manner.

The word ■■■■ is not one I personally use or think I have ever used. To me though, if a piece of language I use is offensive to a large group of people, I would not use it. I don’t see a real argument for using it here.

For instance I think the word retard is totally fine in certain circumstances, but I am willing to accept that it is offensive to a large group of people and it shouldnt be used, so I do not use it anymore. I think it is a trivial sacrifice to make to not throw around words that are offensive to a large audience.

I voted “share my opinion below” because I don’t think it should necessarily have to be moderated, people should just have courtesy not to use it and accept that this is largely an american forum where that word is extremely offensive.

5 Likes

You can click on the “show vote” button to change your vote.

1 Like

Focusing on specific word choices is really dumb and plays into the hands of the posters who keep making excessive personal attacks.

4 Likes

Fwiw, I used to use the word before talking to a female friend of mine. I decided to switch to using cock instead when directly insulting those that required such language.

I think it was a change for the better.

1 Like

I think the personal attacks and the c-word are separate issues, even if I think both should be eliminated.

If this was intentional, deserves more love. If not, deserves love anyway.

Edit: looks like Alex beat me to it :(

Edit2: Obviously intentional, the “N” is capitalised.

2 Likes

Discourse has a word filter, let’s start using it instead of tasking the mods with hunting down and hiding posts.

6 Likes

Context is everything.

Used towards woman = sexist overtones
Used towards man = akin to calling someone an asshole
Used to refer specifically to the body part = vulgar and immature but not bannable

Hell, comedy shows in the UK past the watershed time use it without issue.

1 Like

The debate about this word reminds me of the 70s and 80s when US TV programmes weren’t allowed to use the word “toilet”. lol

Agree 100%

I had the same thing come up in the web community I run and in the end the mods decided to leave it off of the “words that will get you banned” list (which is right now, 2). There’s more international people though so maybe thats part of it. Cool story.

2 Likes

Lol offtopic but I like your stories about this community you run, I have always wanted to start something like that, but lack ideas.

1 Like

Wait, what’s the second word?