The Great C-Word Referendum - A Poll

Also if it happens it has to include a temp ban for circumventing the filter or it is entirely pointless.

If I can just type “cvnt” Lolol and that’s that then there is no point.

My feet are starting to lose traction here.

Lets add some money to the pot. If this pole fails, I will voluntarily stop posting here and leave the community forever. I have no desire to participate in a forum that allows casual misogyny because of a “fuck your feelings” mentality.

Regards,

–jman220

3 Likes

What about a community where it narrowly passes? Say 48% vote no.

1 Like

I am perfectly happy with adding every possible combination of that word to the profanity filter and see that I probably have an annoying hour or two figuring out some regexes in my future.

2 Likes

you still running with that one?

1 Like

the c word is the equivalent of a a racial or ethnic slur, IMO.

We should be censoring the n word.

We are. If anybody uses it they will be permed immediately and the post will be deleted. I don’t think anybody disagrees about that.

52-48 is a landslide electoral college victory, LDO. Biggest landslide in US history.

5 Likes

Also, paging @GrittyNHL to come vote in this.

Gimmicks voting. Very cool.

2 Likes

It’s not a gimmick. It’s Commonwealth’s only account that isn’t permabanned. Edit: I mean, yeah, it’s a gimmick obviously, but CW gets a say in this IMO, given the history, and the fact that he hasn’t totally stopped posting (see the stonks thread, for example).

No it isn’t. It just isn’t.

Maybe it triggers a similar degree of offense but it doesn’t have the history of oppression behind it that numerous racial slurs targeted at black people have.

I’m not saying it’s the same level as the N word. That word is in a league of it’s own. But I’m saying it’s equivalent to a general ethnic slur, yes. You think women haven’t been oppressed throughout history, and especially in the context of domestic violence, been called the ‘C’ word?

Bleeping is infantilizing and pointless. How is it less offensive to see, for example, “so and so is a dumb ****,” than “so and so is a dumb cvnt”? Everyone knows what was said. No word including racial slurs should be bleeped. We’re not children.

12 Likes

I mean if he wants his actual account unbanned, sure let him vote.

1 Like

Um, 3 billion posts about this in the C-word thread would beg to disagree with you.

1 Like

That’s your opinion dude. It is 100% on that level in my opinion. I refuse to be around people who say it, and won’t tolerate it in my presence. Sadly the filter gregoreo made has some bugs, it shows up in quoted posts and if someone puts quotes around it. I don’t care if it’s used in the UK threads or the c-word thread, but when I see the shit in other parts of the forum I close the tab and am done with this place for a while.

2 Likes

The American way is the only way.

I don’t agree that this is such a special word that it warrants a one word profanity filter, to me its a generic feminine insult, unlike e.g. using pussy as in weakness.

But I think the pain of not seeing it spelled out for its users is lower and not as important as the pain people seem to feel who are genuinely offended. So the less asshole choice of the two here seems to be to censor it.

3 Likes