The C-Word

I don’t disagree with that. That doesn’t change my 64 percent math, because the use cases being argued about on the forum all fall within the 64 percent.

I mean, why give the mod’s more work and invariably piss people off when they get banned for using the word. The simplest solution is just to **** th word. Then it turns the whole thing into a nothingburger and we can get back to arguing over gamestop stonks.

2 Likes

give me the word and we can flip the switch. Is anyone even opposed to this idea? Besides maybe jalfrezi?

Totally 100% grunch here, jjust replying from the first post but I’m I’m fairly sure Marty
and smaccc are close to my position (not having read their input).
Background: I’m west of Scotland, mostly Glasgow.

I’ve been called ■■■■ by my friends more than 90% of of the time. And that’s ok. Just 10% by actual haters in certain situations.
It might be seen as sexist in the US but it’s not here. Males and females are ■■■■■■

My wife is American and she’s started using the word (very occasionally, but appropriately).

I’m not gonna read past post #3 but look forward to replies and just co-sign me for Marty and smacc obv

#culturaldifferencesforthewin

2 Likes

If it wasn’t obv, 90% of the time I’ve been called ■■■■■
They don’t call me ■■■■ 90% of the time…

…but sometimes that’s close when we play basketball.

Censor the C-Word?

Should the C-word be turned into “****”?

I’m strongly in favor. Some people are bothered by it quite a bit. Most people don’t care that much. I think few people feel that it would be a big problem if it were asterisks. I think that when people from the UK/Ireland or places who say “this MP is a ****” the other people from there will understand what they mean and the people from other places will insert their own appropriate word. That’s superior communication!

I would like to see people support those who want it censored and show that you make them feel more comfortable and that they post that they think it’s important to do that and it will help us all get along better.

Whether or not other words are also censored is a separate issue and I think deserves a fair hearing and I’m very happy to support any such measures that people feel warrant that but this was the first word and let’s let it have it’s own poll here.

That’s all like my opinion of course Vote as you will.

Censor the C-word?

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

Nah, if they’re a ■■■■ just call them a ■■■■■

1 Like

If a woman here, regardless of her nationality, said that she was deeply hurt and offended by the term and thinks that using it indicates we’re a sexist community that’s hostile to women, would you consider stopping using it here, or is your non-offense more important than her offense?

1 Like

I don’t think the c-word or any word should be censored or banned. I think its use should be discouraged, and those that direct it at other posters or use it as a troll towards those bothered by it should be subject to warnings/temp-bans.

2 Likes

I can understand wanting to let people post as they wish so that you can judge them, but wanting them to be able to post this so you can see them banned is very bad imo. And it sounds like you are just hoping for that.

I thought increased moderation passed? The issue isn’t a word imo, it’s the lack of respect among members of the community.

What? I want people to stop being assholes and ruining the forum experience. Are you saying they should not only have the right to use the c-word but to rub it in others’ faces as well? Whether a word is written out or ****ed is whatever.

I see your point. But I don’t think people have been doing it (before the arguments about it) to rub anything in anyone’s face and I think some of the people who want to continue to do it don’t want to do that just to rub anything in anyone’s face.

If you, or anyone else, are suggesting that **** (the asterisks) offends you and ruins your forum experience that’s one thing, but if this is a pre-emptive move, maybe let’s see if this works as a compromise. But if you want to have a honeypot to catch people you want banned - - I don’t think that’s good.

Where’s here?

Wookie, you’re trying too hard.
You’re US. This is totally a cultural difference.
Males get called ■■■■ far more than females here.

My wife is American and the most tryhardtopleaserveryoneifatallpossibletimes person in the world. Now living in Scotland she knows how to use the c word.

Remember, I am also a ■■■■■

1 Like

You could ban all the words and people would invent new ones to continue their grievances.

With that said id rather not see us banning words but its no big deal if people want to and understandable considering how offensive the word is to some. I mean its right up there near the top when it comes to bad words in the US.

Im abstaining though because fuck the police.

2 Likes

Cool. The rest of my post stands.

You’re talking to a poster named dogsballs.

1 Like

“in the US.”
“in the US”
“in the US”

It’s all context,

From a poster named dogsballs.

Since you’re grunching this thread I’ll quote my post here in hopes that you sincerely consider this perspective, which is what Wookie was getting at with his post.

1 Like

His name may be a reference to balls that a dog plays fetch with. Probably not a big deal and shouldn’t immediately discount whatever he says.

you do pleasure travel during pandemics rofl