Should Unstuck Politics Implement a Profanity Filter

Who decides what’s profanity and what isn’t? Will there be a Profanity Commission?

Yes there will be. I will be head commissar.

1 Like

If I did, I assure you it was an accident. The decision to bury it in the thread was not mine - I don’t make these decisions. I offered to make it a banner. That got no traction. I am just here to implement what the community wants. If the community decides the ■■■■ filter is too much, I will remove it happily. I don’t think this poll is going to accomplish that - it is asking about a profanity filter, which makes it sound like we want to ban the words fuck and shit and peepee.

It’s what happens when you don’t set any adult boundaries.

1 Like

I objected to that poll’s placement before the decision. What are you talking about?

I’M OFFENDED

You voted twice in this poll too.

1 Like

Just stick a good faith poll on the front page and abide by the result. Don’t generalise one to the extent it can be misinterpreted or bury one in a thread most folk can’t be arsed with.

This isn’t hard.

2 Likes

me. I am trying to make admin-related posts on that account, and jmakin posts on this account. Admittedly I am not doing a great job of it, but I am trying. I don’t want people to confuse jmakin the poster with jmakin the admin. This account has zero admin privileges and is what I spend 99% of my time on.

Sorry, I think it is a bug - I honestly do not know why it is happening. I have multiple windows open with different logins, and discourse software gets very confused. Sometimes I will be on the jmakin account and I will get a post flag notification that I’ll be unable to view - so the software is obviously confused.

I assure you, it is not intentional. How stupid would that be? Just subtract my vote.

1 Like

This is jmakin speaking - to be clear, I voted “yes” on this (just once) because I like a general profanity filter. Not because I don’t want to see those words, I just think I use a lot of profanity when I post and when I read back my posts they sound harsher than I intend them to be.

“This is ****Ing great” reads a lot nicer to me than “this is fucking great” and everyone knows the intended meaning anyway. It’s less harsh on the eyes. I can’t stop using profanity.

1 Like

I figured as much. But given that we’ve gotten more no votes in under an hour here as you got yes votes in the buried poll, maybe just start a real poll in an OP that lays out the issue if you want to implement this solution? It’s obvious that many people didn’t know what was being decided.

I will do this.

2 Likes

I’ve totally lost track of what’s happening tbh.

Shall we just give up and go down the pub?

1 Like

Wow, I have no idea how people could possibly be confused here!

What do you mean? I was saying they didn’t know anything was being decided in the ■■■■ thread. How would they?

Hum…that’s voter fraud then.

I’m kidding but if it was close one of your votes would need to go.

1 Like

Would it be possible to have a profanity filter that can be switched on and off by people individually?

Please use this other poll: