RFC: No more deleting accounts

As zikzak noted in About Moderation:

Proposal:

1. Users may request to have accounts anonymized. Users must undergo a two-week cooling-off period before their account will be anonymized. Declining after the cooling-off period then asking again to be anonymized will restart the clock on the two-week cooling-off period.

2. No account shall be anonymized without the request of the user.

3. Users requests to have accounts deleted shall not be fulfilled as the default policy.

4. If moderators and admins feel that there is a good reason to delete an account, they may start a thread in About Unstuck. The first post shall contain the argument for deletion and a binding public poll on whether the account shall be deleted. The poll shall be open for 7 days and a 60% vote shall be required to allow deletion.

Do you agree with these rules for anonymizing and deleting accounts
  • Yes
  • Mostly, but I’d like some changes
  • No, but there do need to be rules to address this
  • No, maintain the status quo
  • Other
  • Not sure/Don’t know
0 voters

In keeping with the RFC process, I intend to push for a poll on the wording of this proposal as soon as the minimum three days are up (if I don’t forget), unless I feel there is substantive debate with counter-proposals on wording that needs to be explored.

Seems pretty good. I would say at least 60 percent of current mods in #4, to be more precise.

Yeah I think #4 should be handled by a vote of current mods. It could be for a sensitive reason, better to keep it to a smaller group.

Otherwise I’m a yes.

I was thinking of a a 60 percent majority of mods before it even goes to the vote. followed by the community vote.

I feel like most requests for deletion are going to contain privacy concerns, right?

I’d like to use this RFC as an opportunity to discuss getting rid of the fucking RFC process. It is god damned ridiculous. It was created to appease a group of posters who were not appeased. If we want to make a rule we can do it with a poll. We don’t need a 16 day process. Something as simple as, rules may be created in one of two ways:

1. Any mod may propose a rule. If that rule receives majority support in a pole it becomes a rule.
  2. Any user may propose a rule. If that rule receives 60 percent support in a pole it becomes a rule.

Enough with this ridiculous RFC process already. It doesn’t work.

I will add that in. I suppose we should also allow a user to take their case directly to the community and start a thread if the mods turn them down?

lol, you guys are about to discover why the RFC process was necessary in the first place, this will be fun.

This thread has been open for the minimum three full days. I’ve added Wookie’s suggestion for 60% of mods as well as a line about trying to preserve threads, mainly to remind people that it needs to be considered when deleting an account.

After an RFC thread has been open for at least 3 full days , any user can request a Forum Administrator to create a poll within the RFC thread to approve the wording for the proposal. Upon receipt of such request, a Forum Administrator shall use the Administrative Account to create a public poll stating the proposed wording of the rule with the choices of “Yes” or “No.” The poll shall remain open for a period of one week . If the poll receives support from a majority of voters , the proposal will proceed to a binding rule vote. Otherwise, debate on the proposal may continue and any user can again request a vote on wording within the RFC thread.

As such I request one of the @admins (so @spidercrab ) to create a poll with the following wording:

1. Users may request to have accounts anonymized. Users must undergo a two-week cooling-off period before their account will be anonymized. Declining after the cooling-off period then asking again to be anonymized will restart the clock on the two-week cooling-off period.
  3. Users requests to have accounts deleted shall not be fulfilled as the default policy.
  4. If 60% of current moderators agree that there is a good reason to delete an account, they may start a thread in About Unstuck. The first post shall contain the argument for deletion and a binding public poll on whether the account shall be deleted. The poll shall be open for 7 days and a 60% vote shall be required to allow deletion.
  5. Care shall be taken to preserve threads that would be lost if deletion of an account is approved.

Please vote to approve (or not) the wording of the following proposed rule:

Proposed Rule:

4. If 60% of current moderators agree that there is a good reason to delete an account, they may start a thread in About Unstuck. The first post shall contain the argument for deletion and a binding public poll on whether the account shall be deleted. The poll shall be open for 7 days and a 60% vote shall be required to allow deletion.
  5. Care shall be taken to preserve threads that would be lost if deletion of an account is approved.
Do you approve of the wording for this proposed rule?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Poll closes 7/14/2022. If a majority votes in favor of the wording, the proposed rule will be put to a forum-wide vote.

Voted no, I think the decision should be able to be made by a vote of the mods alone or by the community voting. I think the most glaring reason people would want/need a deletion involves privacy/doxxing, so that may be better kept private.

1 Like

Who can I contact about deleting my account before this passes

Here’s the original thread

@moderators @spidercrab

I’m cool with how things are now. Don’t see why a change like this needs to be made.

1 Like

Because Fridays are boring.