About Moderation (old original thread)

What the fuck

2 Likes

A link won’t help, you need an invite to see anything.

That is the general gist of the ToS people agree to when they post here (yes, we do actually have those, and yes, we all really did agree to abide by them), but they also clearly state that posting here grants the community license to keep that content available to its members. There is an anonymizing function that is compliant with the GDPR, and that seems to have been reasonably applied to all users whether they fall under its jurisdiction or not, but there is no right to petition for content removal.

OK, that is good to know but we should also make it known to mods and admins that a user should not be automatically granted a mass post deletion.

I don’t really understand why anyone would assume this is the case. If I send you a text message from my phone, I expect that once I hit “send”, the text of that message is no longer within my control. Why would an online forum be any different?

Then vote yes:

wut? The difference is enormous lol cmon. Users posts on an internet forum are nothing like an sms, they’re saved in a db the forum admins control.

Is there a technical fix for this? I agree that mods and admins should have zero responsibility to put in manual work. Can you hack together account deletion by just overwriting every post a user has with “Account deleted at user request”? Even for a high volume user, that should be doable in off-hours. (Or you could do it in chunks over a couple nights.)

I didn’t care that jal/Churchill were banned in particular. I objected to how it transpired.

1 Like

So you sabotaged the website on your way out. Anyway, not sure if this is still an admin account you have access to, but I strongly suggest that we remove goreo’s admin access if it is. Jmakin was banned for a year for using admin powers to leak a pm thread. Goreo actively sabotaged the website because he didn’t like how a moderator acted. His admin powers should be removed before he can do further damage.

Edit: We also probably need to figure out how to put something in place so this kind of thing can’t happen again.

Gregorio does not have admin access. I think people should consider how much he has contributed to this site over the years and why he was upset before criticizing him.

21 Likes

I’ve worked on an admin-less solution but no one cared so I stopped. also, I was self banned but let’s not re-litigate that entire thing.

the circumstances in which oreo decided to do that seems to have been - a nominated mod acted in a way he disagreed with. is there more to it?

meb said he’d ban a few people and he did. he got community support. somehow I highly suspect if CN and whoever else he had mentioned got banned too, we wouldn’t still be having this insane discussion.

now the poor guy appears to have been run off the site by the same group of bullies. threats appear to be happening. he is a good poster that I believe was acting in good faith and now it’s gonna be retconned by the same gaslighters into some enormous nothingburger of a “scandal.”

sorry meb. I believe you tried. I’d have preferred you went about it a little differently but I support what you were trying to do and I believe that without more of that this place is fucked.

2 Likes

As econophile said, goreo doesn’t have admin access

I removed the title that said goreo was an admin account.

1 Like

Stop picking at his carcass.

After I was de-admined I asked meb to anonymize this account to avoid any confusion, but he didn’t respond.

I order for that to happen I would need to temporarily be an admin

If he’s no longer an admin then I agree there’s no reason to litigate this further. His title indicated he was an admin, but you changed that, so the confusion is now cleared up.

Standard.

In case you’re not being intentionally disingenuous and missed my dozen earlier posts:

A mod campaigning on a plan “truly to bring this community back together,” in which "the initial bans will not be viewed as all being from one ‘side’ or ‘team,’” immediately banned two users from the same “team,” one of whom had just survived a poll of the community regarding whether he should be banned.

Then, when another mod posted that "meb discussed his bans with ALL current mods earlier in the week and told us who the ban candidates were, nothing has changed since then to target any side,” I took that to mean that meb had the support of the other mods, which is what I found really objectionable.

Yeah this. WTF people. Oreo is one of the nicest, most helpful, and most reasonable people here.

I’d also support re-admining him. I mean what’s the worst case? He leaves and the site is like it is right now. I suppose he could do worse, but I don’t think he would. Apparently everyone doesn’t share that view.

7 Likes

And when that turned out to be completely wrong…

you know what, never mind. Good grief that was so fucking stupid. Not just you, lots of people.

1 Like