Moderation

I am learning to dislike them. I used to love them precisely because they required me to check in so often in order to keep up. I was never bored. But now keeping up with them feels like an obligation, and good lord what a timesuck, so I just accept that I will check on them from time to time and end up skipping hundreds and hundreds of posts in order to see where the discussion is currently at.

1 Like

I’m 2000 posts behind on the Trump thread and I don’t give a shit!

2 Likes

If you fall behind just read the 20 most recent posts and you’re good.

1 Like

Click the post number at the bottom right and you can select which day you want to skip to.

Tomorrow

3 Likes

Hello, I’d like to revisit this:

I’d like to try to resolve the question of whether or not I’m allowed to post in this forum.

I doubt I’d ever be a very frequent poster; I wasn’t in the old forum, and I’m not even in P&S. But I do spend a fair amount of time reading threads here, and I enjoyed participating in the Programming thread, Lapka’s thread, and making the occasional political comment.

The reason I’ve changed my mind about resolving this is just that it seems clear from all the other ongoing hostilities that arguing about me isn’t going to destroy this forum. It was probably way too egotistical of me to have ever worried about it.

So, I have no idea how it should be resolved. Smacc’s suggestion is fine by me, but it’s not up to me. I’m just looking for some moderator to tell me if I’m allowed to post here or not, on whatever basis they want.

1 Like

A mod isn’t going to tell you that - that’s not their role here. Have you been paying attention? :grin:

This is fair enough, and in the absence of smacc’s post I would have just kept doing what I was doing. But since a moderator has said that there should be some community-driven process to resolve the question, and since I short-circuited that process myself, it doesn’t seem right not to present myself for judgement now, as it were.

I can’t imagine you posting will be the thing that finally kicks us into establishing some sort of ban procedure so as long as you’re fine with petty snipes after every post there’s nothing stopping you.

Posting is a human right. Never ask permission.

1 Like

LOL at banning well named, wtf. As long as he’s not looking for another Petri dish subforum to grow fash cultures in, I don’t see the issue.

5 Likes

Agree with geewhysee at least in as much as you shouldn’t ask permission. It definitely shouldn’t be put on Smacc to decide (I doubt very much that he’d want to do that). And I strongly support your being allowed to post.

3 Likes

How do we know this isn’t exactly what he’s doing?

1 Like

I guess we’ll just have to play his little game… for now.

The issue is that he didn’t ban terrible posters on 2p2. Also, he moderated people for being “mean” if they were openly and obviously mean, but anyone with more than 1/4th of a brain could be extremely mean/racist/terrible and still avoid moderation. Also, collaboration with MM - which really we all did.

In that case, I think we should let him post. But assign him a “worse than coronavirus” badge.

1 Like

Can we at least ban the guy who mocks school shooting victims when he inevitably shows up?

2 Likes

tbh, I used to think you were trolling me when you made comments like this, but over time I’ve come to think you’re serious. You seem to have some pretty basic facts wrong about the history though. For example, you seem to think I was involved in some subtle plot to overthrow the 2+2 politics forum, whereas in reality I pretty much always said I thought it should be left alone, despite having a few complaints with it. My fetish was always the idea of a second forum, not to take over the first.

It’s not hard for me to understand why people dislike my decision to open a new forum on 2+2, or why they don’t like the way it’s run (though the hyperbole is way over the top about the actual content). But it is hard for me to relate to your view of me as some kind of villainous mastermind.

In any case, I’m not sure that I can really answer your objection. You won’t believe me when I tell you I don’t want to tell anyone else what to do here. I’m glad this forum exists as it is and I don’t have any interest in changing it. I’d just like to participate when the mood strikes me. Since it seems like a fruitless argument I usually just ignore it, but since we’re here I’ll say that much.

5 Likes

It wasn’t terribly subtle.

1 Like

Respectfully, please bow out of this conversation if you admittedly are ignorant of the relevant history.

4 Likes