Democratic Primary Debates

My take is that the decision for some people to turn on Warren wasn’t motivated by sexism, but once they decided she was the enemy, their methods of attacking her sometimes fell into easily accessible sexist pathways. Or, if it wasn’t sexism, then they were at least informed by male privilege.

It’s similar to how there were white people who turned on Obama for non-racist reasons (or, at least, non-racist in their minds), but once they decided they were against Obama, they adopted racist arguments because those were the easiest ones to grasp. (see: the availability heuristic). And their easy to grasp because racism and sexism permeate our society.

3 Likes

I realize this is no great loss but if whoever is modding this site is going to let wellnamed post here then please delete my account

2 Likes

Who is well named?

This is probably the best description of what’s happening here.

Feels like a lot of people get lumped together. Like Victor is a rageaholic about everything. Why would this be different? And, you know, I’m like as perfectly fair and reasonable just like always.

1 Like

I feel your pain, Atleast you can ignore his posts.

I wouldn’t give him that satisfaction and I would start a thread to get him removed as we as community should be able to speak our reasons for Stay/Ban and would in essence uphold the result.

I think that’s the best way, maybe another Mod or valued member can chime in too.

@zikzak

1 Like

I’m don’t think I’d choose to stop posting just because vaya doesn’t like it, I don’t think, but I also wouldn’t like to see another contentious thread splitting this community for no reason, so if you’re planning to start one on my account I’ll just bow out and stop posting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the quick response… :v:

So you hate someone for attacking their opponent in a primary debate, for something that was probably true?

Rational.

The second part of your post is very reasonably put. If that was the type of argument that was being made, no one would be accusing anyone of sexism.

As for the first part. Did you really just defend posters from sexism with “but some of their best candidates are women”?

Liking one woman does not preclude you from being sexist. How does this need to be explained?

1 Like

Again. Im struggling that I have to explain this on a progressive forum.

Supporting a woman at one point does not mean that how you treat her later is not sexist.

The man who beats his wife was probably nice to her when they started out.

The behaviour is either sexist on its merits. Or its not. Whether you like another female candidate, whether you once like warren, whether you are non sexist in other ways… All of that has nothing to do with anything.

You have female posters in here, plus articles by female writers that say “ugh. This feels really fucking gendered. This matches my experience of life in a ton of ways”

And your response isnt to listen or reflect. Its to fucking gaslight them.

Be better.

1 Like

Agreed. But given that this is a progressive forum “not really sexist just saying the same things as sexists” is a crap defence.

1 Like

Pretty much everyone here is making that type of argument.

1 Like

So now we are at the stage where calling out sexism hurts the movement. Time for the women to shut up and behave while the white men fix things. Cool cool cool cool cool.

1 Like

lol no. trying to frame every single criticism of a woman as sexist hurts the movement because it’s ridiculous and unhinged and makes any reasonable person tune you out.

Give some examples of people on this forum being sexist against warren and attacking her in a sexist way. literally every single criticism of her was based on her policy or her political tactics.

1 Like

So now another version of

“Yes it looks like sexism, and its using sexist attacks, and it’s motivated by sexist biases… but it’s not sexism”

Why such reluctance to call a spade a spade? Why are we splitting all these hairs?

This post. This post is sexist. You are gaslighting accusations of sexism with “trying to frame every attack on a woman as sexist is unhinged”

This is two super common sexist tropes in one sentence.

1 Like

It doesn’t preclude you but it surely makes it a lot less likely, especially in politics where a lot of the sexism comes from the belief that women can’t be good leaders. Yeah there are obviously other forms of it, but that’s the biggest and most common that I’ve heard.

Anyway, regardless, you’re broadly accusing a bunch of people of being sexist on this who have laid out in great detail over time what their numerous issues are with Warren, and those details are related to policy and strategic campaign decisions.

When you try to make something like criticizing Warrens political strategy into identity politics coming from people being sexist instead of simply disagreeing with her tactics then that’s exactly what you’re doing.

The criticisms had absolutely nothing to do with her gender and you guys are trying to turn that into obviously this is sexism instead of fair criticisms.

If you can’t criticize her political strategy without being sexist, what can you criticize about her without being sexist?

edit: also that wasn’t an attack on warren and completely irreverent to my question. I asked for examples of people using sexism to attack warren.

omg stop mindlessly clicking the quote button! Select the text you want to reply to and quote that.