New Moderator Confirmation Votes

WAT

I voted yes for Clovis, and as he said, he was on your team.

I was talking about you clowns that voted no.

No team, you’re on a team!

2 Likes

Clovis is, like most of us, a weirdo, but will probably be fine as a mod. And if not, more :popcorn: for us!

3 Likes

It sure doesn’t! For example, I wouldn’t program a robot to steal from people who fat finger their transactions.

1 Like

I was disappointed with Clovis’s zero bans policy but I voted yes anyway, he seems like a pretty reasonable guy otherwise.

1 Like

yeah clovis obviously doesn’t know what makes a forum great

1 Like

The number of people I would ban would be very small, we are talking a handful or less. They do not fall uniformly along any divide where anyone could say I was taking a side or on a team. I do not think of them as “in good standing”.

:joy:

What other mod will bring you this level of joy UP?

https://unstuckpolitics.com/t/bangers-tournament/8222/32?u=meb

Make Our Fun Unstuck Caring and Kind Again!

2 Likes

UP,

I stand before you today a nominee to be moderator of this forum. It’s a job I didn’t ask for, but when asked to serve I said yes. I said yes to make this forum better and to see it live up to the dream of all that it is capable.

We are a deeply divided forum, and we have been for far too long. A forum where some choose to endlessly pick fights with each other. Some out of a desire to cause destruction and chaos in this forum, and others out of an inability to ever let an argument die. While others stand on the sidelines, wishing they could come here just for fun and the community they envisioned when we first set off here.

Some of our brothers and sisters have left this community far too soon. Sacrifices of the great battle that we’ve all witnessed.

So I’m here to ask you today, can we be better than this?

Can we choose a path that allows the decisions to be made that need to be made to put an end to this squabbling?

Can we simply be better?

UP, I want you to believe that we can do these things and take on any more challenges to come!

UP, I want you to have hope that the change this forum needs is on the way!

UP, when you are asked if we we can be the best damn politics forum around, I want to hear you say Yes we can!

4 Likes

meb real talk I’ve bounced back and forth on you fifty times but I think issuing the kind of bans you’re talking about would result in weeks of drama and it’d have to be a hard no for me on that.

if we can somehow agree on a lengthy ban process, which we have not (requires 60% to overturn by community afaict but with people voting on several gimmicks at a time I’ve absolutely lost faith in these polls) and the existing process or whatever causes weeks of issues too.

You should have the courage to disclose who you intend to ban for 10 years or whatever is, since you’ve already clearly stated you know exactly who they are.

1 Like

I have a short list and it is a great list, but I believe revealing the exact contents of it would drag the proceedings here into the mud. I will disclose that the initial bans will be a small number, of 5 or less. They will not be viewed as all being from one “side” or “team”. You are not one of the people, if that was ever a concern.

I plan to be very lenient on bans outside of these initial ones, unless a need arises where someone’s purpose in being here is to attempt to degrade the community here.

I am asking people to believe in the concept that we can be better, and I will act in the best interest of the forum.

I’m open to sacrificing my scalp if you add another of my choosing. If that’s of any interest PM me.

1 Like

I really don’t like voting in these but fuck, I love this speech and I’m DEFINITELY not voting for someone who didn’t even make a big speech

2 Likes

you have a secret plan to end the forum war?

Only one way to find out if it works!

3 Likes

3 Likes

Your solution is just plain wrong imo. We are a tiny forum that is already insanely homogeneous. Both reducing the numbers and increasing homogeneity is the opposite of what we want.

We need to accept a few truths,

1. disagreement is good. It’s the fuel of debate.

2. we don’t have to like each other all the time.

3. the forum has an ignore feature. Each member has total control over their forum experience.

4. this is a tiny forum with zero impact in the real world. Our outsized estimation of this sites influence leads us to overreact to too much stuff.

5. the “mod wars” here are due to one simple fact. We choose conflicting models when we built this place. One where we all were equal owners but also a select few were deputized to have more power. This inherent tension on a forum full of left wing people can only lead to conflict. I think we move closer to the model where we all are owners and remove the power of the few. Sure there will be fights but so what. As noted in point 3 each member can choose if they want to participate.

Bottom line, the previous mod model clearly doesn’t work. There have been literally hundreds of bannings and zero effect. It’s time to go back to the model we built when we first left 2+2 and dramatically reduced the power of mods to punish long standing owners of the site who are their equals not subservients.

TLDR cliffs

Fuck the police!

8 Likes

The number of people I will be banning is less than the number of posters we have already lost and will lose in the future by their continued presence.

It’s a classic trolley problem and no one else has been willing to pull the lever, so I’m offering to serve the forum in this way.

As I stated earlier, I plan to be very lenient on bans outside of these initial ones, unless a need arises where someone’s purpose in being here is to attempt to degrade our community.