Moderators

I’m posting this solely as a user of the site and not as admin/developer/treasurer or whatever else I might be.

I think it’s important that we have moderators who are not part of the hosting team. Hosting the site is supposed to be separate from running the content of the forum. If it weren’t for the need to separate these groups I’d actually think we’d be fine with no mods for now, but I’d like the separation to be kept clear.

Anyway, the way I suggest doing this is people who are interested in modding can let it be known in this thread. We take the first couple who want to do it and then run a thread to see if there are any objections. I’d like modding to not be a permanent position and for the mods to step down and repeat that process after whatever - like 6 months maybe.

What do you think and are you interested in being a mod?

1 Like

Am I currently a mod? I can keep being a mod if I am not.

2 Likes

I probably should have looked that up first.

Looks to me like you, goofy, cuse, and smaac are moderators. Does it look like you have mod powers?

Anyway, if that’s the case it looks like we have enough mods, so maybe nothing should be done. If anyone objects to these mods they can say so wherever they want, but it’d be quite surprising if anyone did.

1 Like

I’m happy to continue to have mod powers so long as the community is happy with me doing so, but I don’t have much interest in being a mod on a day-to-day basis. Like, if I notice spam I’ll wipe it out, I’ll help out when I can, but I’d much rather contribute to the community in other ways than as a mod.

We’re lucky in that for the foreseeable future we don’t need “real” mods and having a few people empowered to delete spam should cover all of our moderation needs.

Agree with all the aforementioned being mods if they want.

Fair warning: the people who’ve spent years AIDSing up this community are going to continue to attempt to be a perpetual nuisance over here, and if anyone is still unclear on their motives, here ya go:

I’m hoping this community does a better job of regulating transparent bad-faith actors, esp now that we’re no longer beholden to the deplorable owners of 2p2.

1 Like

Given that all three current admins feel (I think) roughly the same way about this, should we codify it or make it official or whatever?

Straw Poll - Results not Binding

Forum administrators should limit their moderating to only the most obvious, egregious or urgent cases. In all other situations, moderation duties are exclusively granted to the moderating team and no one person may serve as both moderator and admin at the same time.

• Yes
  • No

0 voters

I’d be interested in volunteering as a temprary / occasional mod at some point in the future. Couldn’t do it right now as I’m on holiday for another week or so and will have a huuuge workload when I get home but if we go with a rotation policy I’ll step forward for a future shift.

2 Likes

Second (I don’t even know if this is necessary but I’m going to do it anyway) lostrich who has a clear, cool head.

1 Like

All good here, I’m happy to continue and I’m good with a rota model… Hopefully I don’t upset anyone along the way.

Feel free to pm me any criticisms :v: Or anything else that you feel important. Or just post here & I’ll reply in good time. :blush:

1 Like

I’ll 2nd Lostrich… :+1:

1 Like

That would be thirded ;)

1 Like

Given the interest in volunteering, this is probably a good spot to start discussing the software’s built-in trust levels. The current roster of mods was just based on who had mod or admin access on the old site and was currently active. imo all of this should should be looked into much more closely and decided on a community-wide basis. There are other options for users to help manage the site without being full moderators. Worth noting:

Users at trust level 3 can…

• Recategorize and rename topics
  • TL3 spam flags cast on TL0 user posts immediately hide the post
  • TL3 flags cast on TL0 user posts in sufficient diversity will auto-silence the user and hide all their posts

Users at trust level 4 can…

• Edit all posts
  • Pin/unpin topic
  • Close topics
  • Archive topics
  • Make topics unlisted
  • Split and merge topics
  • Reset topic bump date
  • Any TL4 flag cast on any post immediately takes effect and hides the target post

By default TL3 can be earned over time, but currently for us must be manually granted. TL4 always must be manually granted.

Also maybe worth considering: To date there has been one mod action - smacc fixed another user’s post.

1 Like

I agree that users should be able to edit posts forever. Seems like something for a thread and perhaps a poll? Maybe no poll, just thread asking opinions?

It’s in the settings. 60 minutes. If you set it to 0, you can edit it forever. I think the ninja setting is 600 seconds right now. I’d look, but I want to pony you.

1 Like

Giving users the ability to edit posts forever gives people the ability to totally fuck with threads and make it seem like other people are saying things they aren’t. I don’t think a policy of letting people remove their posts is bad, but it should probably be by request sent to a moderator/admin to avoid this type of abuse.

1 Like

Ehhhh, I think we should trust each other. We can deal with that if someone ever abuses it.

5 Likes

I would also like to edit my log indefinitely, mostly to make regular updates to the OP for a few different reasons. Just posted this in the Feature Request thread because I couldn’t find this thread.

Edit: Actually posted this accidentally somewhere else and not in the Feature Request thread as intended. Apparently posting is hard for me.

I’d like to volunteer as a mod.

This totally doesn’t have anything to do with a certain old friend who checked in with us today.