Grab Bag Walrus - Reveal Thread

uh oh

And thus my nodium-free run comes to an end.

4 Likes

I could get any position here from 12th to 1st, nothing would surprise me.

That was you? My guess was that you submitted the next one. For no reason other than I had about 4 songs unassigned and your name was still available.

1 Like

Confirmed.

1 Like

In 12th place scoring 2 points: Prodigy with Breathe

Submitter’s comment: n/a

First impression: familiar, good Prodigy song

The single charted in the top 10 all over the world, often at no.1 as did the album this is coming from. Once again this ranking isn’t a reflection on the “objective” quality of the submission. It’s a very good song and a good category fit. It’s also a very lazy pick.

I expect most fellow Walrussers have heard this many times before. It doesn’t feel right putting this ahead of any of the more creative submissions. Sorry.

Submitted by: Pauwl???

1 Like

Damn. But I agree with your assessment “This is an all-time classic and I will probably listen to it for the rest of my life.”

2 Likes

Yeah, even I, the least metal of all the posters on here, have heard and don’t hate this song.

What can I say? You gotta know your audience bro. I’m not deep enough for that shit.

1 Like

So this is the opposite Walrus to Pauwl’s pick a song i’m listening to right now.

I applied the “well known songs” to be with respect to the gen-pop. To me most people don’t know Beach House or Slayer.

Im joking. Slayer being last for ‘well knowness’ is somewhat harsh, but commendable.

I’m still standing! Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

2 Likes

→

So much for Pauwling it up. Now my strategy is :

1 Like

In 11th place scoring 3 points: The Hu with Wolf Totem

Submitter’s comment: Should hype you up, especially if you want to go to conquer most of Asia.

First impression: n/a

This has caused me headaches from day 1. I have spent more time thinking where to put this than all other songs combined and here’s why: Suzzer has posted this in my previous reveal thread as an alternate submission to which I replied:

While I am typing this I still have no idea what to do. About half of the current contestants also took part in my previous Walrus. That was six months ago though and probably long forgotten and there wasn’t any intention to angleshoot. I don’t like judging this one for meta reasons anymore than I did for places 12 and 13. Walrus is serious business though and I am trying to be somewhat consistent here.

On the one hand the throat singing accompanied by electric guitars is something I never knew I needed in my life. Just like the previous two songs I believe it’s a great category fit. I have read comments calling this a Mongolian haka and I think that’s an apt comparison.

Well, on the other hand I have listened to it a lot during the last 6 months so I skipped it practically every time it came up in the current play list which let’s me more confidently put this down here despite generally liking the song. The song already has 32 million views on youtube which puts it in well-known territory. If this was last year this could have been a first place submission. Right now it’s not. The fact that I looked for the skip button when it came up sealed its fate.

Submitted by: Suzzer99?

1 Like

That was the unpleasant part and I am glad I am done with it.

1 Like

I honestly don’t remember my submission. But I usually know it when I see it. So I’m guessing I’m still alive.

In 10th place scoring 4 points: The Fall with Totally Wired

Submitter’s comment: This isn’t an ironic submission because of the lyrics, you can’t listen to that bass line without getting animated.

First impression: meh, voice, repetitive

The instrumentals are really good and I agree with the submitter about the bass line. Unfortunately the vocals that are more spoken than sung knocks this down a few pegs. My heart and I agree that I do not like the singer’s voice very much either. The repetitiveness doesn’t help. All in all not bad but has to admit defeat to a bunch of strong competitors.

Submitted by: Pyatnitski?

Nope. That’s mine.

Wasn’t sure about this category, but was hoping for better than that. Wasn’t aware you had been exposed to in this forum previously.