Community vote: Permanent bans

CLICK HERE TO VOTE

Proposed rule (single rule with two pieces):

• All permanently banned or silenced users shall have their original user name reinstated upon request. Or they may choose to come back under a new user name with no penalty. They will not be required to link their old and new identities.

• Except for obvious spam accounts, no user shall be permanently banned until the forum passes rules governing permanent bans.

For more discussion on this rule, see here and here.

Adopt Proposed Rule regarding permanent bans
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Poll closes at 11:59pm Eastern on July 4th. This is your thread to advocate for or against the proposed rule.

I think this clause needs some clarification. Can users be banned for a year? If so then I vote yes. If not then I vote no.

A year is long enough that I’m willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt on personal growth out of whatever caused them to be banned for a year.

I am voting no for the reasons I shared in the previous thread on this.

I would be supportive of enacting rules about permanent bans and other long bans. I’m not in favor of a blanket ban amnesty, though.

1 Like

Is this retroactive?

2 Likes

I really don’t get why you guys are thinking about doing this, tbh. I voted yes without thought but it sounds like a bad idea here.

Sabo…banned, Inso … (a garden-variety republican)…banned, an entertaining off the rails conspiracy theorist…banned. You also had a rather large exodus from 22 for reasons including posters being allowed to post there … who also voted no here. It feels like an unnecessary shitstorm from what i’ve seen in the past.

1 Like

This proposal failed

• All permanently banned or silenced users shall have their original user name reinstated upon request. Or they may choose to come back under a new user name with no penalty. They will not be required to link their old and new identities.

NoMatterWho is almost certainly the permanently banned anachronistic, posting in the same manner that got him perma’d in the first place. Not sure why he is allowed back. Looks like he was also Basic, who was perma’d for being “Obviously previously banned.”

3 Likes