RFC: Unban everyone

@spidercrab

Gonna be unfortunate that your wording failed to address 10 year bans.

Is this actually happening? Can someone tldr this for me please?

I’m out of town with only my phone. Will post tomorrow when I’m back home at a computer.

We voted to approve the wording that will be used for a formal vote by the community.

I think it’s a mistake to advance this rule to a final vote. It’s written extremely poorly and leaves open a ton of loopholes in a way that it doesn’t positively impact the forum in any way.

The wording vote was put into a thread that was dead with no real discussion on the wording, and only 21 people voted on it.

I would suggest going back to the drawing board if your interest is actually improving the forum.

Passing an RFC that basically says, we need to create another RFC to figure out what we failed to do here is a pretty poor way of doing this.

1 Like

If you want to go back to the drawing board, then you can vote it down and start discussion anew. We are allowed to go through several iterations of redrafts and new votes. You had your chance to offer adjustments. Maybe the lack of drama in this thread is a point in favor of my proposal.

I believe this forum should have a community-approved process for permanently banning posters. The purpose of this RFC is to make it almost impossible to permaban anyone without first coming up with a process, creating pressure on the community to figure that process out.

You failed to account for the 10 year ban though. This is just one example of why your RFC as currently presented does nothing.

There’s an intentional moratorium on ten year bans.

:test:

Unfortunately, that isn’t in the wording.

1 Like

I don’t know whether this will pass, but if it did I would not enforce 10 year bans

1 Like

But I would, because there wouldn’t be a rule against them. And now we have a constitutional crisis!

I think the mod team would be able to come to a consensus

A ten year ban is a ridiculous number. It’s an obvious attempt to circumvent the letter of the law with what is intended to be a permanent ban in practice. It’s a talent better suited to writing Texas abortion laws.

Yeah, the “benefits” I see are allowing Inso0 and other right wing trolls to request their account back or to reregister without being able to be permanently banned again until we can pass yet another RFC detailing the permban process.

There are currently 2 users banned by mods, neither are permanent. All of the permanent suspensions are trolls, spambots, or alts to evade other bans. This RFC solves a problem that doesn’t exist.

2 Likes

I based my election as a mod explicitly on the fact that I would be issuing these bans and 74% of a much larger voting audience approved it. I am carrying through the will of the forum. Not doing so would be misuse of my position.

Anyway, they will happen on July 1st as promised.

What law are you referring to?

A ten year ban if this RFC passes.