RFC: Unban everyone

Unban everyone. Come up with appropriate procedures for permanent bans that involve community action.

5 Likes

Anyone can start a ā€˜should x poster should be bannedā€™ thread at any time but you need 90% approval

Posting here since the other thread got locked.

Iā€™ll be a bit cynical and venture that the reason it works is the same reason we all got along fine while we had 2p2 and Trump to rag on. Thereā€™s been tons of references to yā€™all using us a punching bag over there, and itā€™s nice to be able to pop in here and fire some shots occasionally.

But thatā€™s not my point. What needs to be addressed is the months before the bannings started, where members here were accused of lying about donations, bombing brown people, locking up black people, bootlicker this and warmonger that, and faced with 20 post f bomb tirades. This is what led to the bannings. Maybe it ended up unsuccessful and caused more problems than it solved, but it was a good faith attempt to address a serious issue that was turning off a large percentage of the community.

So when you say that Goofy is not invited because he considers Jal an ā€œirredeemable shit disturber,ā€ well Iā€™d counter that Jal became a lot less tolerated here because what he thinks of many posters here is far worse than that.

Notice how the worst grievances yā€™all bring up against us is calling you Captains or UK bros. Maybe trolls. Lol. Like what planet is this.

If you want to talk about respect and normal interaction, then you have to figure out a solution to that type of behavior. Because in the real world, what would happen to you would be worse than a 24 hour silence.

I voted against banning Church and posted more than once in his defense. I generally donā€™t want anyone banned, not even Kelhus. Thereā€™s been a conveniently blurred line between temps and permas, but itā€™s worth noting than Jal is unbanned, Church is unbanned, everyone is unbanned except Sabo who is only banned because of a poorly worded poll designed by him and Keed. Perhaps unfortunate, but from the way the winds are blowing itā€™s likely he will be unbanned very soon. Meanwhile all of us are legit banned from your site - call it not invited but that would be a better euphemism if this was like an underground secret Freemason club. Instead yā€™all love to flaunt how awesome it is in our faces. Banning or ostracism is the more appropriate characterization.

+1 to unban everyone

2 Likes

Just a wild stab, but keep the constant judging off the site, yeah, let people talk behind each otherā€™s backs, and a petition to permaban someone has to come with 10 people publicly co-signing it and then it still takes 90% approval. Standard cool off mod bans are 24 hours max and there should be way fewer of them.

2 Likes

I also think a virtually unmoderated let it out thread is a good idea

That was already tried, and it failed miserably.

2 Likes

I donā€™t think anyone who has used the term ā€œUK brosā€ realizes how many people this has alienated.

Incredible.

Just allow personal attacks and donā€™t temp ban for those. Politics can be so personal that attacking oneā€™s politics can be perceived as a personal attack.

Didnā€™t someone here accuse you of killing babies?

WAT

Exactly what I was wondering.

Hereā€™s my proposal. Unban everyone. Letā€™s try 6 months where we donā€™t ban or infract anyone for anything. Containment threads for particular discussions are still fine. See how it goes. If thatā€™s too much, try 3 months. Revisit after the trial period.

1 Like

Please explain to me how this is worse than being called Jailman for instance.

My first thought in regards to this thread was that I should not get into it - Iā€™ve been into enough lately. My second thought was that some people here have the idea this site was supposed to be friends chatting, some thought it was supposed to be anonymous politics which would include whatever dunking anyone wanted, and some people thought it was going to be a big popular site on the internet.

Itā€™s weird that you want to meet and hang out with people and you want less modding because you are more ok with personal attacks. Thatā€™s a rare combo.

We can agree on that if ā€œmanyā€ means about 12. Everyone else here seems fine.

Multiple people. But whatā€™s the point of posting a long post and adding that crap? Say you disagree with the view point of like 30 members (or former members) of the community. Thatā€™s fine. The quoted part just shows you never even bothered to listen to anyone which in the context of the conversation is, as i mentioned, incredible.

What planet indeed? This Is such a misrepresentation of peopleā€™s grievances, which are many and varied, its risible.

I donā€™t understand how people donā€™t understand this. ā€œUK Brosā€ at least potentially alienated every single poster here from the UK and many other non-USA posters who have nothing to do with this argument and it has in fact alienated people from the UK who you are not even thinking about.

Are you suggesting that ā€œJailmanā€ similarly offends the universe of prosecutors?

Whatever, maybe itā€™s a petty point to make. I was trying to contrast. I sincerely donā€™t understand how itā€™s more offensive than all the other things I mentioned. Maybe itā€™s good that I brought it up so it can be cleared up.

I will give yuv credit because while it was a deal for a small amount of time, heā€™s gotten way worse comments thrown at him as stated and isnā€™t still making posts being upset about it 2, 3 years later.