RFC: Permaban Jmakin?

UP is essentially an invite only forum. CN is the only high volume poster who wouldn’t be/wasn’t invited from 2p2. There are barely any new posters or posters not from 2p2. And, better example, your discord is essentially open (to people from UP) and essentially unmoderated, and has lots of the people there who have had conflict here, yet the problems are tolerable there without moderation. Do you think constant open questioning about who should and shouldn’t be banned and which posts should and shouldn’t be allowed there would be a good thing for the culture of the discord?

And I think it’s glaringly obvious that, had no regs on this site ever been banned or had their threads closed and posts deleted, there would be no captains, cool kids, UK bros, etc. None of these divisions would ever have happened.

1 Like

I have a question JT, what is it do you think that people don’t like about people like Sabo and Jal?

Because your post is essentially trying to explain Popper’s paradox of tolerance to us, yet once again I feel like you are getting the equation backwards.

You have to pre-ban people like Goofy because they are intolerant of people like Jal

Not liking the captains because they purposely made UP a worse place with the goal of making UP a worse place is reasonable. Skimming over that fact is ridiculous.

1 Like

These divisions happened because of personalities, not moderator decisions.

No. Some of you may think jal and Sabo and Victor and maybe one or two others have personality conflicts with a few people here that are the problem. But, me, JT, jbro, cassette, cyrti, conman (I’m going to stop naming people because I don’t know who wouldn’t want to be listed, but several others) have lots of history of not having fights with goofy or jman or wookie or cuse or you or anyone else. If it weren’t for the moderation and bans it would just be a little background arguing that the moderation doesn’t stop anyway.

You’re right that it I painted a broad brush of the last ~2 years that does not apply perfectly to everyone. It applies to plenty though. And like the gun control debate, progress has been stymied because no “perfect solution” has been found.

I’ve been on dozens of forums over the years. Certain people here would only have survived at 4chan. That’s it. The place that incels plan mass shootings and post CP. Every somewhat respectable place of discussion has rules and a punishment system. I respect your ethos, but would question that the only online places it mirrors are 4/7chan.

JT just some poor soul here trying to make everything better, totally not an overemotional poster with little impulse control holding grudges over half remembered things nearly a decade old.

1 Like

Also won’t name anyone, but there have been 40 active posters at other site this week, all but one to my knowledge is a UP member. Total post volume there is currently about 60% of here.

So it’s important to note that it isnt a handful. A very significant portion of this forum’s active membership chooses to post alongside those folks that anti-captains have banned and trolled away from this site.

They can rightly say they don’t care. That’s fine. But don’t blame the members of the other site from ruining UP. Where do they think the majority of the UPers leaving this site are going? And why do they think they are going there?

If UP goes to shit, it was written on the wall how and why. Wookie, goofy, Ikes, Cuse, trolly etc. can blame all they want, but they are like arsonists pouring gas on and complaining the building is on fire.

3 Likes

The sample has been probably irreparably effed, but to me anyway, it’s obvious that lots of problems would have been avoided if there were no bans of regs (not saying toothsayer had to be allowed) the worst of the problems would have been avoided and no problems would be here that aren’t here anyway. Just like my opinion.

But maybe some people just can’t abide some other people getting bans and other people just can’t abide no one getting bans, regardless of what they do or do not accomplish.

1 Like

Lol, keep being a dick to people that come back. It’s working out well.

1 Like

I’m sorry ctyri, exactly how many utterly obnoxious attacks from JT do I have to take to satisfy you?

I respect that it’s your position, but why do you think this just has no history of working anywhere in the history of the internet?

You’re just emulating the chan sites, which is less than ideal imo.

This place has never been more than a select group of people from 2p2 and setting up processes in the beginning like we were ever going to have hundreds of thousands or millions of users was a mistake. It was only a modest sized group of people who knew each other chatting.

That’s why the discord works fine, because they never thought a few dozen people chatting needed a government.

1 Like

Wildly throwing frankly stupid accusations is not going to result in anything positive for you. You do this all the time, and utterly losing your shit is going to get you precisely nothing… again.

As many as they take from you seems fair.

Right. So when I say my opinion about an event, it’s totally fair for JT to make that kind of response. Meanwhile, you’re going to jump in, as a totally honest arbiter, to chastise only me when I respond.

2 Likes

Most of the other places I’ve posted at have been smaller or more niche than here, largely composed of people younger and less mature.

I dont think the option to ban people is an issue of a user base reaching some critical mass, more of a sign of mutual respect to the users that they uphold towards each other.

We agree less bans would be ideal. But way too often things got too emotional, personal and all respect was lost.

Those motives are openly stated JT by multiple people in the captains. You can consider whoever you want to be captains. But if you want to make this place better, you can start by not being a massive dick whenever you come here. The only reasonable explanation for your behavior is that you are here to fight. Participate here like a normal person again and I’ll happily believe you aren’t here to simply ruin this place.

1 Like

Which, again, is the root of your problem. You’re butthurt over internet drama that is, at a minimum, 5 years old. You and I got along fine until you figured out I was ikes.

You should reflect on that. And if you truly give a shit about this place, try contributing positively again.

1 Like