Community rule votes: 1. Moderator limits, 2. Ban Sklansky

CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR PROPOSED RULES.

2 more proposed rules to vote on. I’m combining them in one post because rule votes get banner treatment, and there can only be one banner at a time.

Proposed Rule 1: Mods should recuse themselves from taking action on a flagged post when they authored the post. [For details, see discussion in this thread.]

Adopt Proposed Rule 1 regarding moderators recusing from acting on their own posts
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Proposed Rule 2: David Sklansky should be banned from posting on this site. [For details, see discussion in this thread.]

Adopt Proposed Rule 2 regarding banning David Sklansky
  • Yes
  • No
0 voters

Both polls close 11:59pm, September 3rd (Eastern). This is your thread to advocate for or against each rule.

For the record, I’m very ambivalent about the second proposed rule. If we adopt this rule, it’s implicitly approving a structure where any user can be perma-banned from the site without any moderator action, as long as 60% of users vote in favor.

So I think the second proposed rule actually embeds two questions:

• Should we apply perma-bans based on a 60% community vote?
  • Assuming yes, should Sklansky be subject to to a perma-ban?

I think it would be useful/healthy to have a disussion about that in this thread.

2 Likes

did DS do anything in particular here on the forum or is this just a “he’s too creepy” thing?

1 Like

Maybe instead of banning him outright he could be contained in a “Special Sklansky Forum”?

1 Like

I think it’s very weird the threshold for a perma is lower than that to be modded.

2 Likes

That’s the only reason I voted against a perma for Sklansky, or I’d have abstained.

I’m having trouble squaring modding on 2+2, a forum where he’s had special guest status and privilege, with voting for banning him here.

3 Likes

Agreed, the threshhold for a perma should be like 90%+. Maybe more.

2 Likes

People consider “write an RFC” to be a snarky reply, but in this case, if someone doesn’t, I probably will get around to something on this topic.

1 Like

Should Harvey Weinstein be banned from UP?

Sklansky being allowed to post here makes this place less welcoming and more uncomfortable for me.

Seeing that I’m one of maybe two females remaining, I expect this plea to go completely ignored, but I’ll put it out there anyway.

I’m truly saddened to see so many no votes….but like every other male-dominated space, I’m not surprised.

6 Likes

yes.

I would have voted for a ban then, too.

I don’t know that it really matters when it happens. I understand that you don’t feel like you were listened to. Hey, imagine that! Happens to women every day. People were talking about Weinstein for years before his fall, and no one listened. Are they upset? maybe a little. But I bet they are still happy that he’s been basically banished from polite society now.

Better late than never.

All the “concerns” i see in this thread about a slippery slope, etc are just the same bullshit concerns we see every damned day about this stuff. We recognize it there, so why is it so hard to see it in ourselves? It’s infuriating.

David Sklansky, Bill Cosby, Harvey Weinstein, and their ilk should never ever be allowed to post here. I don’t give a good goddamn that Sklansky hasn’t posted problematic stuff here. It’s like an actor saying she never had a bad interaction with Weinstein, so it can’t possibly be as bad as all that.

I have never personally interacted with David Sklansky. I don’t care. He doesn’t belong here.

6 Likes

Perhaps I slightly misspoke in my first post. let me clarify.

EVEN less welcoming and even more uncomfortable…

It just becomes a normal state of being for women. ANYWHERE on the internet. Life in general. There’s always the constant knowledge in the back of your mind that predators are out there. Do I wish we’d have had this convo/action back then? Absolutely. I wish we’d have this convo every fucking day. But we don’t.

So we abide, and learn to live with it, until it reaches a critical mass that cannot be ignored. Just like Weinstein, and Cosby, and all the others that have come about years after initial reports.

Am I saddened? sure. but I’m always saddened when it’s just the same shit, different day. Do I blame them? eh, hard to say, because change is hard. Part of me is happy that they’ve maybe changed their views enough. Part of me is sad that these things have to reach a critical mass before anything actually happens.

That being said, it looks like, once again, nothing will happen…so the “at least there are some people voting yes” side of me wins out.

6 Likes

Absolutely motherfucking hilarious beyond belief.

1 Like

He was part owner of the forums.

Hi Ripdog!

I am the failson. Truly an honor to have been bestowed with that title by the anonymous losers circlejerking around these parts of the internet. You can also call me Mat. On the fucking myself, I would appreciate more direction. I do fuck myself quite frequently in a variety of ways, but always with the intent of actually pleasuring myself. I suspect you are hoping I will voluntarily fuck myself in a way that is not pleasurable? I probably will not follow your directions, but who knows? Fill me in.

Anyway. I don’t know why you idiots set up such a complicated system. And I don’t care. Just ban David, and know that you will be helping me out. Because I know you all really love me a lot. Deep down. And I hope you fuck yourselves too. In a pleasurable way.

2 Likes

Just curious what are some of your lifelong accomplishments?

i will happily have that conversation in person with anyone that finds themselves in Vegas and some time on their hands. my number is 702-353-8844, It will take place on a hike in the Mt Charleston or Redrock canyon area.

2 Likes

How much have you had to drink tonight?

Also, why haven’t you voted?

I don’t vote.

1 Like