Community rule votes: 1. Moderator limits, 2. Ban Sklansky

I would be interested in your thoughts on my posts in particular. And no, I would never go on a hike alone with a male stranger from the internet, so maybe just post here instead.

I have a feeling it might swing a few votes, just sayin’

It’s interesting that you just posted this because I just got off the phone with my father, David, who was hoping I would address your specific perceptions of him. I told him that I was done posting, but you have changed my mind.

I do not really care whether David is banned from this site or not, I do, however, not want people to believe he is a sexual predator that can be reasonably compared to Bill Cosby or Harvey Weinstein. I don’t know how I can help people who have that perception change that perception posting on an internet message board, but I am willing to give it a go.

You ask me about your posts. I’ve been married for 18 years to a woman who is superior to me in almost anyway you want to slice it. But she, like you, feels that being a woman in this world is harder than it should be. That sucks. I can’t really know what it’s like to be a woman. But I do feel that men and women are more alike than not in the sense we are humans. And as one human to another I would suggest you spend as little time as possible feeling like a victim. And here’s the song that expresses that best: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvlTJrNJ5lA

Hahahaha

Condescending as hell. Not unexpected.

My bro, I am the last person on the planet to act like a victim. I spent 10 years in the military being sexually harassed basically every day. Until a few years ago, I was much less sympathetic to women who couldn’t seem to “suck it up and drive on,” because that’s what I did. I had to.

It took a lot of self reflection to realize that not everyone is like me, and that there are a lot of women (most women, actually) out there who are victims, and no, they shouldn’t have to suck it up because it isn’t their fault. It wasn’t my fault.

Maybe you should do some of that same self reflection.

The email your father sent that has become basically public record is absolutely inexcusable and borderline sociopathic. If it was something that MY father sent, I would be having serious convos with him and the rest of my family about Dad’s motivations and possibly his mental health. I would be hurt and angry that it was made public, but i also wouldn’t go around defending him. I would probably be apologizing for his behavior. If the person he sent it to decided to get a restraining order, I would probably support them.

If I had received an email like that, I would have called the cops, but I also recognize that many young women are afraid to do that, have different situations or support networks, or mental health issues that and email like this would only exacerbate. Like what happened in this case.

i’m not sure if david is banned or not at this time. if not then he should be the one to explain why that email was written. i’m sorry if you felt i was condescending. it was unintentional. i am now going way.

He’s not banned.

Thought it was going to be: you don’t have to live like a refugee.

I didn’t notice, but the vote is closed. Too late for mat to vote anyway.

Probably would have swung me to vote ban if I were thinking about voting at this point. I’m very anti-ban and am extremely unsympathetic to most of the common reasons given for banning, but a regular long-term user being afraid/uncomfortable because of someone who really isn’t a member of the community is probably a ban. If it were reg on reg it’s probably still the same kind of thing, but I don’t think a threshold of 60% is anywhere near high enough to permaban regs.

1 Like