RFC: Mods should not resolve flags against their own posts.

I don’t have a sense of how common this is, but, based on some recent discussions, it appears that mods can and have resolved reports about their own posts. To me, the best practice seems to be that mods would recuse themselves from taking action when their own posts have been flagged for moderation.

I believe this would lead to greater confidence within the community that reported posts are being evaluated seriously and without bias.

I want to be clear that I am not trying to single out any particular mod(s). I just think that we are all human and noone should be expected to fairly judge an allegation against us. This is particularly true when one considers that the posts that are most likely to be flagged probably occur when emotions are already running hot.

Proposed language for straw poll:

Mods should recuse themselves from taking action on a flagged post when they authored the post.
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

1 Like

this seems like a no-brainer and kinda hard to believe this isn’t already policy, even if implicitly

1 Like

Please vote to approve (or not) the wording of the following proposed rule:

Proposed Rule: Mods should recuse themselves from taking action on a flagged post when they authored the post.

Do you approve of the wording for this proposed rule?
  • Yes
  • No

0 voters

Poll closes 8/26/2021. If a majority votes in favor of the wording, the proposed rule will be put to a forum-wide vote.