Boredsocial for mod: First step, ban [redacted] [UNDRAFTED] and the girl reading this

He’s being driven off because he’s a thin-skinned, entitled baby.

5 Likes

And he’s not even being driven off, he’s demanding a permban because it’s too much for him to just…not post.

4 Likes

There were at least a half dozen people in that thread indicating they were being driven off, it wasn’t just CW.

I feel like there is a commonality that all of these posters share

I feel like I’m interacting with this forum in the correct way, because whenever one of these forum drama threads pop up I have no idea what everyone is talking about.

21 Likes

I think the issue here is that people/mods seemed to be so anti temp banning at the beginning, that any banning or moderation at all is now seen as an enormous judicial action, rather than just a “Hey man, catch your breath and pause for a moment” signal.

I think the best model for modding is the one laid out in 2p2’s SE FAQ:
An incremental banning system with small, brief temp bans that allow people to get back into action quickly.

If you violate the rules, you get temp bans, small at first but escalating with repeated behavior.

Primary rules:

1. Don’t publicly ask for people to be banned.
  2. Do not call people names or make direct attacks on them.
  3. Mild trolling is ok. But there’s a line, and people who cross it will be asked to stop.
  4. Do not use hate language.
  5. All complaining about mod (in)actions must be confied to a single thread, not strewn all over a forum.

[I am open to being temp banned for favorably referencing 2p2. I am also open to being temp banned just to illustrate how non-consequential and heathy it can be, like Fauci publicly receiving the vaccine.]

11 Likes

Those rules date back to when Clark and I were the only two mods of SE, so I’ll allow the favorable reference.

1 Like

The one place we are woefully under modded in my opinion is personal attacks. We are the only forum I know of that allows them. By allowing them we actually encourage them. I’m as guilty as anyone. If we instituted a simple zero tolerance for name calling and personal attacks the forum experience would improve 100 fold for everyone.

Gone would be the idiot, moron, nazi, shitlib, dumb, troll, liar etc posts.

Attack the idea not the person.

2 Likes

And so any mod coming in and doing permas would probably cause a HUGE kerfuffle unless a large majority of the site agreed on each and every ban, right?

I was going to ask @grue, who supported some of this idea, how he would feel if Victor (who we post along with in the programming thread) were included in the purge?

If the permas happened and stuck, I’d put the O/U on maybe 15 regs walking out. There are a LOT of people around here who are not comfortable with heavy handed modding. Sub-24 hour bans are sensitive enough, permas would cause an explosion. imho.

1 Like

I could go either way on this, but imo the rule has to be to actually treat people with respect. It’s just trivially easy to be mean without crossing a line that people see as a personal attack.

I think most people worrying about too much modding are worrying because they know their behavior would not survive it. I would prefer less modding but I don’t think my forum experience would be any different either way because I don’t think it is likely I would get modded much.

Basically the only reason we need moderation is that this same group of people refuses to moderate themselves. I think it is short sighted to let this group hold the rest of the forum hostage because they can’t behave. They have been give chance after chance and refuse and so are forcing this change by their own behavior. If they want to whine about it or quit the forum they did it to themselves.

7 Likes

I don’t think that’s true. I know I’m concerned about too much modding and I don’t think I’ve ever been temp-banned other than as a joke in my 15 years on these sites. I think nobody (the poster) has been expressing concern and I don’t think he’s worried about being modded. Jbro, I think, has been very anti-heavy moderation and I don’t think he’s concerned about being modded. I think Rexx has said some anti-ban stuff and I’m sure she’s not concerned about being modded. Dunno, but, I think that list would go on a long way. RiskyFlush, right?

People want to be able to use the same language towards posters they disagree with that they would use towards politicians who have similar political beliefs.

What is the argument to allow name calling?

It’s a legitimate fear when the reason for some of the proposed permbans are simply that BS doesn’t feel like posters contribute the “right” amount to the forum. We’re setting ourselves up for a potential Lord of the Flies situation.

2 Likes

No one likes moderation. But the group of people you mention understands that this current drama fest needs moderation right? The people threatening to leave the forum are mostly the bad actors(or people threatening to leave because of them). No one in that list you mentioned is quitting the forum if these petty squabbles are outlawed.

Yeah, but people don’t agree on the list. Victor is obvious, but I like Jalfrezi too. Yes he trolls people a lot, but like you said, you used to fight a lot and Victor used to fight a lot too. I used to fight with Jalfrezi a lot. But, he’s cool. I want him to stay.

3 Likes

Maybe those posters who fear they would be banned as a content free nuisance need some introspection rather than being coddled at the expense of the rest of us.

1 Like

That dude is on my ignore because of uh what Clovis said so I don’t give a shit if he’s gone, that’s why I voted yes. I vaguely recognize he posts in programming. For some reason he reminds me of a tech bro version of sevencard2003.

“Grow the fuck up”.

5 Likes