Walrus 13: UP HATES BANGERS Edition!!!

It’s Walrus time!!

How it works:
I will be accepting up to 12 Contestants. Submit one song (youtube link preferred) to each of the eight categories listed below. Collect these all in one pm and send to (tbd volunteer compiler) so that I don’t know who submitted what. I will then “rank” them according to my own arbitrary tastes, giving slight preference to songs I haven’t heard before, and assign 12 points for first place, 11 points for second, and so on. The ranking is meant to be fun and an opportunity for some good-natured abuse of my poor taste, but the main idea is for everyone to hear some new music and discuss each others picks.

Here are the categories:

1. A song that gets you in your feelings. Something that brings out a lot of emotion when listening to it.

2. Quarantine Music - Give me something that you’ve been listening to a lot during quarantine or that evokes isolation.

3. Something that would be on Tom Haverford’s playlist. If you never watched Parks & Rec, you might be at a disadvantage in this category, but I will provide you two short video clips to help you figure it out. Sorry but I had to leave in one category where bangers are required.

1. Genre crossing music. This can be two artists from very different genres coming together for a song or an artist performing something very different than their normal genre

2. 2000s Indie Rock - Some of my favorite music of all time comes from this Era/Genre combo. You may submit a song for this category that isn’t from this era if you believe it fits the category well.

3. Female vocals - something that you believe represents the pinnacle of performance by a female vocalist.

Sign ups for contestants and compiler can start now and go until full, then we’ll set a deadline for submissions.

Edit: per recommendations I cut this down to 6 categories. Categories have been changed since original post.

2 Likes

Awesome. Thanks for stepping up to host. I don’t know a single banger, I don’t think, so I think I’m not in this time, but will rail!

1 Like

You don’t recognize any of these following tracks? I find that hard to believe.

are you gonna yell at Meb again for not defining Banger correctly?

If I get patronized with some whitebread wikipedia reference I just might.

I’d like to add there are a lot of songs I like that would meet Meb’s version of the term. It would be artistic neglect on my part not to speak up on the matter. I totally get the more post disco version of the term. Should be pretty obvious how and why it was being used in hip hop. Should also be no surprise as hip hop and disco are brothers from the same mothers.

1 Like

I mean there are many definitions of “banger.” It’s not worth getting worked up about the correct definition. I use the term all the time to describe a wide variety of songs. I take it to mean “club hit” according to the OP. That’s Haverford’s definition, as far as I remember.

Agree to disagree. Getting worked up was the absolute proper response after that reduction of 90’s music.

Especially the Eminem reference. That’s always a trigger for me. Most overrated rapper of all time by 8 country miles.

Im getting the frick out of this thread now. My passion in these conversations is actually my way of contributing and giving respect.

3 Likes

You should do a heads up walrus with nbz

3 Likes

i’m intrigued in joining because you didn’t post the actual all-time indie rock banger of the 2000s. but i can’t help you with anything from 2020.

Go on

Just delete it. I was just curious. Great song that I’ve never heard.

I would’ve guessed something from Tame Impala tho I’m not sure they fit the description you have in mind. I haven’t kept up with indie rock since I moved back to Arkansas from Atlanta when I was hearing a steady stream on college radio.

2 Likes

In

1 Like

i don’t know shit about EDM, at least not what’s it meant for the last 10 years or so, but i can turn mine in tonight if someone gives me a good one / doesn’t take [redacted] for 2020

1 Like

Walrus has figured out the formula for chaos!

1 Like

i have to admit i did not expect this song to come up tonight

1 Like

love that live version

just found this Stern performance a minute ago lol the chat.

1 Like

If I can find a song about sausages for all 6 categories: IN

If not: OUT

Funcrusher needs to compete in this one. Butthurt potential off the charts.

3 Likes

I’m going perry ferrell for all categories.

not in

if i was a real dick i’d submit nirvana’s “Rape Me” as tom haverford’s banger

I basically walrus 24/7 since i discovered this game here. On the off-days I just submit songs to myself, give myself 1 point and go on a rant about how terrible my taste is just to keep in shape.

But to be honest I don’t get what level are we on with this. Do you actually like Pitbull? Do you pretend to like Pitbull? Do you pretend to pretend to like Pitbull? Too confusing for me.

10 Likes