The Crypto Thread

can confirm

https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454328591202721796?s=21

You ok dude?

2 Likes
1 Like

Notice that when somebody owns $1M of physical art that gets jacked, the real police with guns are all over that shit? The FBI even has a page for it:

https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/violent-crime/art-theft/art-theft-news

And yet here, in this Twitter thread, crypto_bros are like “well it’s your fault for falling for the scam, be more careful next time!” which is not really how having $1M of real property stolen actually goes down in the real world. If the laws for real property rights and criminal behavior don’t apply then the argument that this stuff is exactly the same thing is weakened.

2 Likes

How do you know they’re rich douche bags?

1 Like

Cops don’t care about property theft. They’re the ones committing it most of the time! The site you posted only had 1 case in 2 years of someone being charged with stealing art work.

2 Likes

Well, believe it or not, I read his timeline and saw his IG first. Something about the shameless self promotion and incessant bragging about obscene wealth in a time of gros inequality really rubs me the wrong way.

Hmm he does seem like a douche from that screenshot I’ll give you that.

3 Likes

I’m imagining a business coach in a sweatsuit with a whistle yelling encouragements at a guy sitting at a desk answering emails but it’s probably even stupider than that

That is petty theft. If somebody steals your $350 rug, that’s heartbreaking but it’s just a misdemeanor in most states. Obviously police aren’t going to devote resources to that regardless of how moral or corrupt they may be. If someone steals a $1M painting from a museum, that shit is getting reported directly to the FBI’s Art Theft Program. They are not the same level of thing.

In this case, it’s a cybercrime ring orchestrating grand theft, and so whatever laws apply to that still apply here. As I’m sure you know, there are plenty of laws on the books regarding theft and stolen property such as possession / receipt of stolen property, which can be a felony if you knowingly take receipt of such items. Beyond that, there are other questions of law like whether a downstream receiver of that property who was acting in good faith even has valid claim to title. If someone stole A MILLION FUCKING DOLLARS from me, I would absolutely be trying to use all of this to my advantage.

The actual stakeholders with legal teams locked this up quickly:

https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454892316200562692

https://twitter.com/calvinbecerra/status/1454867066981216259

Lol at publicly and proudly claiming that he wants to negotiate with the thieves. If anyone else does that they’re admitting to a crime, but not sure what kind of bad outcomes it might lead to for the original property owner. “Let me know if you are trying to commit a felony!” Sure bro.

Not enough lulz for crypto bros who think BLOCKCHAIN > state and federal law:

https://twitter.com/Asmodean_/status/1455109339568615426

And a final round of lulz for the scammers who decided to hold onto a non-fungible thing that can’t be broken up and laundered through a million crypto wallets instead of flipping it immediately for instant ETH. Even the Ohtani cube scammer on Wax knew to dump it instantaneously for a fraction of FMV to get coins.

2 Likes

The point is that crypto bros claim that this is just as real as any other property (see real estate thread) while simultaneously believing that the law shouldn’t apply because it’s on BLOCKCHAIN. Check out the post that I quoted which thought that NFT marketplaces blocking the sales of these items “completely invalidated the concept of blockchains” (lol) or Hbob whining about LIZ saying crypto should be regulated. They legitimately think this is some kind of self-governing sovereign citizen technology that they are the leaders of and should be outside the scope of legal jurisdictions.

3 Likes

I have a whole entire thread for this to avoid mucking up this thread too much for people who just want to do some crypto hustling.

leaders of and outside the scope of legal jurisidictions in the real world is… those fucked up places where boys get thrown out before they hit 18 so the creeps can marry as many girls as possible

Old news, but maybe relevant here …

The Unstuck NFT discord has now made a collective 250k off the McRib NFT

• True
  • False
  • Bastard

0 voters

Riverman

1h

I don’t know when, it could be 10 years or more, but it’s not going to end well for the crypto bros.

from the NFL thread, in case anyone wanted to know if now was a buying opportunity or not

3 Likes

It’s easy for me to imagine why people might be more sympathetic to (yet another) DeFi scam as opposed to some rube coughing up the keys to his gifs. The former is a technical attack vector and affects many people at once, whereas the latter is one annoying donk getting taken by an unsophisticated scheme. My experience reading about these things is that there’s a ton of victim blaming in the latter cases (on discord and Twitter), and then those same people tend to get rustled if there’s an intervention because BLOCKCHAINS. That Tweet I quoted wasn’t a unique find–the reason I posted it is because it’s the same argument I’ve read ad nauseam.