The Crypto Thread

C’mon man, I’m skeptical of ape jpgs, but this is just mean-spirited trolling.

Lol you’re delusional.

I vote awesome troll-fail.

Sounds like free money shorting down to zero then. Let us know when you’ve opened the positions so we can sweat them.

3 Likes

Around 5 years ago is when the burden of proof must have switched from the believers to the skeptics as to why “this time it’s different.”

I have and will continue to do so. I have stated on UP that time last year when it was wise to do so. But folks are too focused on what feels good.

I understand hating crypto. I admit it can be quite hatable at times. But I don’t understand spending months and months seething over it in this thread.

I mean, I hate golf. Pretty much all of the criticisms leveled towards crypto apply to golf too, except golf is far worse for the environment. There’s a golf thread here. Seems pretty active. But I don’t read it, because I hate golf. That would be dumb. It’s not like I’m going to stop golf from existing or convince anybody to stop playing.

7 Likes

I want to start gambling with these 50x leveraged shorts/longs - that shit it is cool.

Opensea isn’t the only marketplace and I’d suspect the majority of big NFT transactions aren’t conducted on it.

+1 to really fucking hating golf like, on a spiritual and cultural level.

4 Likes

Poker was generally understand to be a game based on a combination of luck and skill, only disagreement was who had the skill and that was determined at the poker table.

Crypto is being marketed differently, it’s the wave of the future and if you don’t get it, you are just dumb… have fun staying poor. Had a Super Bowl ad with literally this message:

2 Likes

What else do you suggest I use this thread for? I certainly don’t have any interest in trying to post anything constructive in this dumpster fire.

1 Like

I like the analogy to poker, btw. I wasn’t good enough at it for it to be worth my time so probably not good enough at crypto trading to do that either.

1 Like

Well, winning 6 figures in a poker tournament is very hard. Despite several pros on this forum, we have 1 person who has accomplished such since its inception. We have way more who have made the same with crypto.

The vibe of “I ran good to win a tournament” and how people post about making tons of money in crypto is largely different. I’m rooting for ppl here, but there is a toxicity from people on both sides and I get both sides here.

1 Like

Have you seen how terrible the art is? Lossless is overkill.

1 Like

Re:

Extraordinary Popular Delusions and The Madness of Crowds: MacKay, Charles

Here’s where the myth comes into play. According to popular legend, the tulip craze took hold of all levels of Dutch society in the 1630s. “The rage among the Dutch to possess them was so great that the ordinary industry of the country was neglected, and the population, even to its lowest dregs, embarked in the tulip trade,” wrote Scottish journalist Charles Mackay in his popular 1841 work Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.

In fact, “There weren’t that many people involved and the economic repercussions were pretty minor,” Goldgar says. “I couldn’t find anybody that went bankrupt. If there had been really a wholesale destruction of the economy as the myth suggests, that would’ve been a much harder thing to face.”

But the trade didn’t affect all levels of society, and it didn’t cause the collapse of industry in Amsterdam and elsewhere. As Garber, the economist, writes, “While the lack of data precludes a solid conclusion, the results of the study indicate that the bulb speculation was not obvious madness.”

To get the real scoop on tulip mania, Goldgar went to the source. She spent years scouring the archives of Dutch cities like Amsterdam, Alkmaar, Enkhuizen and especially Haarlem, the center of the tulip trade. She painstakingly collected 17th-century manuscript data from public notaries, small claims courts, wills and more. And what Goldgar found wasn’t an irrational and widespread tulip craze, but a relatively small and short-lived market for an exotic luxury.

The most expensive tulip receipts that Goldgar found were for 5,000 guilders, the going rate for a nice house in 1637. But those exorbitant prices were outliers. She only found 37 people who paid more than 300 guilders for a tulip bulb, the equivalent of what a skilled craftsman earned in a year.

MANIA

Screenshot from 2022-05-14 23-38-51

4 Likes

dear god thank you

i was worried i’d have to rant again about how the tulip thing never really happened and how the suzzers and rivermans of the world made it up much later

unfortunately cartoon ape jpegs hit me with a HOLD MY BEER but eh

Pretty much everyone has been single sourcing that one asshole for almost 200 years now. Dude read a few NYT-editorials-of-his-day about it and wrote something that would play well to an Oprah audience. It checks all of the boxes for stickiness traits of urban legends.