Technical Problems

Goreo actively removed his code. He doesn’t have to pedal a bicycle to keep the sidebar running. That’s not a strike, that’s flipping the monopoly board over and storming off.

Removing my code was not a decision I took lightly. When meb overturned the results of a community vote while also reneging on his campaign promise, I had thought about doing it, but decided that would just be a vindictive spite move that I’d be ashamed of. I didn’t want to stoop so low, and it really accomplishes nothing other than make me look bad; a month from now nobody will even remember what was removed. But when a second mod confirmed that meb had the support of the other mods as well, then I decided I had to do something to protest in stronger terms than just not posting until meb’s term is done.

There is always lots of talk about trying to ease the tensions between the two “sides,” and they always end with the same side being disproportionately blamed and punished. Almost all of the people I was closest to on 2p2 are now either explicitly or implicitly no longer welcome here. I post on the other site because I still like those people. I post here because I still like people here, and there is more to post about here. I wish I could post with everyone on one site. I realize my actions do nothing but reflect poorly on myself and aren’t going to change anything, but I couldn’t in good conscience do nothing, even if what I did do has no impact on any of my concerns and only makes me look bad.

11 Likes

:vince4:

I will never forget our 4 days of vince

you are inVINCEable to my ill will oreo <3

Yeah ok. That sheds more light on it. I guess it’s more like setting yourself on fire than flipping over the monopoly board and storming off in a huff. ;)

FWIW I don’t support 10 year bans and I’ve told meb as much. Otherwise I really haven’t been involved in the threads jal and churchill post in for so long that I don’t have an opinion on how bad it’s gotten. I just know anytime I see jal and jman in the same thread I brace for impact.

He absolutely did not have the support of the other mods. In fact he explicitly was told I and another mod were against it.

:vince1:

1 Like

matsklansky.gif

:test:

we’ve suffered a cyberattack from zee Captains!

related, on ios/safari, my theme often resets to default, is there any way to make it more permanent?

:queen_not_amused:

Light Theme, Dark Theme, Grey Theme and Wide Screen Grey have been restored. Had a couple others that I don’t think anyone used but if you did lmk. You can change themes from the hamburger menu.

Not sure if this was just an illustrative point or if you were using a theme that still had a sidebar? I thought that broke on all themes after the last software update.

2 Likes

twitter images are not loading for me in firefox, even in incognito mode (so it doesn’t seem to be any browser extension I have in place). If I just right click the broken image, it loads fine in its own tab.

Everything works fine in chrome, so it’s not pi hole.

I think it actually is a browser extension you have.

I see the broken images you’re seeing at my computer at home, but not at work (both in Firefox). Haven’t really gone deeper investigating.

Are you blocking 3rd party cookies in FF? FF has more privacy features enabled out of the box than Chrome, I don’t have it on this computer so I can’t check what the options are, but whatever privacy setting are enabled for regular mode, incognito mode would have at least that level or more.

Probably something like

• Click the menu button. …
  • Select the Privacy & Security panel and go to the Cookies and Site Data section.
  • Make sure Accept cookies and site data from websites (recommended) is selected.
  • Make sure Accept third-party cookies and site data is set to Always.

Or there may be a way set decline 3rd party cookies in general but accept them from twitter under something like Exceptions….

it wasn’t 3rd party cookies, it was this

Unchecking that gets it to work, regardless of the cookies setting. Doesn’t seem to be any way to override this setting just for pbs.twimg.com or video.twimg.com that I can find.

actually, there is!

if you just go to pbs.twimg.com, THEN you can click the shield and turn off tracking protection just for that one site, then do the same for video.twimg.com and it seems normal now.

why does the site every once in a while decide to junk my theme preference and move me back to discourse light? It does this both on laptop and phone though it seems each of them do it at different times, haven’t noticed any pattern to it

Happens to me all the time too.

Theme preferences are held by a cookie as opposed to being attached to your user account for whatever reason so if those get cleared or you use a new device they’re gone.