Simplicitus' Fitness Journey, and you can too!

Ok, I’ve been meaning to post some kind of fitness thread since grunching with some personal fitness and weight loss stuff in SenorKeed’s Potato Famine thread. SenorKeed's Fall Weight Loss Challenge - #478 by DodgerIrish

I’m not really one to do too much in the way of personal content, but I have some perspective and think this thread may be useful to some.

The overall purpose of this thread is to post some content about my efforts toward improved fitness and weight loss in a way that will hopefully be informative and, potentially, entertaining.

Where things stand as of Feb, 24, 2020: I’ve done about 60 1-hour workouts over the last 4 months and have lost about 30 lbs, from 320 to 290, and gained plenty of muscle. (I’m 6’2" and was a fomer offensive line, sup bro!). I’m in much better shape, physically, mentally, and medically than I was four months ago. I am stronger, sharper, better looking, and have more energy. I have lost four notches off my belt. I have gained more productivity each day than I spend working out and my quality of life has improved. This is after four months, but I had decent results after jsut one month and solid results after two. If you are at all similar, that’s all it takes, just mentally commit and then follow through. (Though I’ll discuss some failures to launch below.) Set aside an hour 4-5 times a week and significant lifestyle improvements will rapidly come your way. If you’re like me, you’ll even start to look forward to your workouts.

So, in some ways, I started my journey by signing up with Orange Theory Fitness about 4 months ago https://www.orangetheoryfitness.com/, but in other ways my “journey” covers my entire life. I’ll get to that, as I’m a big believer in context, but first a word about Orange Theory.

They have about 1500 franchises in the US/UK and Canada. Michelle Obama, among others, is a big fan. I discovered them by googling “fitness places near me” (I had recently moved) and there was a studio about 2 miles away, so I checked into it a bit online and went in and took my first free class and then signed up. (Orange Theory is great, but it is by no means essential, though I do think their class structure and workout style makes everything easier.)

How does Orange Theory work? They run 1-hour fitness classes about 14 times a day, starting at around 5 am to around 7:30 pm (at least at my studio). Some time prior to class you schedule your workout via their app or website. (There is like a $10 fee if you cancel, which is actually good for “no excuses” attendance.) You can see the instructor for the class, and you get to know the ones you like and their music tastes before long. I view it as something like the McDonald’s of fitness, in the best sense. In fact, I regard it as something of a technological innovation for personal fitness delivery.

The workout itself is HIIT (high intensity interval training). Basically, you do a mixture of treadmill (about 30 mins per class, rower (about 10 mins), and “floor” (weights and bodyweight exercises) about 20 mins. My studio has 15 rowers and treadmills and floor stations, and the average “full” class is about 25 people. An instructor leads the class and there is fairly loud music (generally metal, rap, pop, or technoish, depending on the instructor). (I personally prefer technoish for working out.) The specific workouts are different each day, including the pacing on the treadmills and floor exercises. Corporate basically sends the studio the daily workout. There’s even a reddit group where people share intel on the specifics of the workout. Finally, everyone wears a heart rate monitor (about $119 from them) on their arm and there are a few 40" TVs that display everyone’s personal stats (not necessarily by name). The idea is to keep your heart rate between 84-91% of max during the workout. (This is based on some dodgy science that this range is “ideal.” It’s probably not ideal, but an elevated heart rate workout for an hour is generally accepted as a good, solid workout.)

The “system” is great for a number of reasons. I like the personal feedback of the monitor, which encourages me to push harder or pull back depending on my heart rate. The daily changes keep things interesting and prevent the workouts from getting stale. Also, everyone can basically work at their own pace. While I huff and puff at 18 mins/mile on the threadmill, the professional athlete or 200 lb grandma next to me (actually, more often than not, it’s a hot babe) can work at their own pace. No one cares about your pace or your stats, they are focused on their own workout. There’s not much chatting during class. Scheduling via an app is also great. Classes are the right size and you “commit” to going when you feel up to a workout, which kind of locks you into attending. Finally, the instructors do a good job of balancing motivation but not pushing people hard. They are more like helpful teachers than drill sergeants. Classes are about 70% female, and the vibe is more efficient and focused than macho or cult-like. The cost at my studio is $179/mo for unlimited classes. That’s not nothing, but as discussed below, it’s nothing compared to not doing something to get or stay fit.

Ok, with that background, what has been my journey and where am I at currently? [Posting this “Part I” now, but will be working on it for another hour before I leave for my workout.]

7 Likes

So, I’m 6’2" and had gotten up to 320 lbs before I started working on reclaiming some fitness. I’m 45 and, as I said, was a high school athlete.

Going all the way back, I was an active if “husky” kid and played soccer until like 7th grade. In high school I played offensive line for a top tier team and wrestled in a high intensity, successful program. By my junior year I would get up to about 230 lbs during football season and then drop about 30 lbs during wrestling season. I was benching about 290 lbs and probably squatting 450ish. Our wrestling program was tough. I would hardly be in shape for the 2.5-3 hr workouts after football season and would often sweat out like 7 lbs in practice. (The football coach was kinda pissed when he saw me after two months of wrestling practice.) I was not a great wrestler but was decent and would have probably finished top 5 in county my senior year. However, in the summer before my senior year I tore my ACL during football practice and was basically done with competitive athletics. (Our football team went undefeated that year.) In fact, the surgery and rehab kept me on crutches for about 4 months, and I started to lose muscle and gain weight, as I was no longer burning insane amount of calories every day. I probably was up to around 250 lbs by the time I started college.

After partying and playing sports in HS (and doing some extracurriculars like academic decathlon), I buckled down during college and got good grades but did not exercise much or compete athletically. Then, during the summer after my senior year, before doing a fulbright fellowship in Canada, I decided to get back into shape. I think I was about 285 lbs at the time. I started my own program of cardio and weights, like 4 times per week. I was getting into decent shape by the end of the summer, probably around 260 lbs, and then continued to work out while in Canada. I was doing a philosophy graduate program as a “visiting student” and was deciding between med school or grad school in philosophy. I did well on my MCAT’s but opted to go to grad school as I got into a top program. I worked out 4-5 days a week that year, ate lean, and was a strong and fairly slim 230 lbs by the end of the year. At this point I was basically in very good shape. I would get cat calls and hook up with random cute girls and then hooked up with a GF for my last few months in Canada.

After that it was on to my main grad school, where I continued to work out some, but not as consistently. After a couple of years, seeing how rough the job market was and not having a solid PhD project, adn tired of being cold and poor, I decided to head back to California to attend law school. Again, I was working out off and on, and probably went from 260 to 240 then back to 260 during law school. Then I graduated and started working for a big firm, where you were expected to be in the office from about 9am to 7 pm and ate a lot (nightly dinner billed to clients) and stopped working out . I was probably a not so shapely 270-280 lbs at this point.

Well, to make a long story short, I went up and down in weight for a few years, probably hitting 240 or so, with sporadic workouts and diets. In about 2010 I started my own small practice with a partner and continued to gain weight and not work out. I was around 300 lbs when, around 2015, I started losing a decent amount of weight and pissing out all kinds of sugar, which meant diabetes. My body was not using a lot of what I was eating, which is good and bad (mainly bad). I didn’t have health insurance because I couldn’t get it before obamacare based mainly on high BMI (maybe I could have for $1500/mo), but by then I was able to get me some obamacare for $500/mo and get some diabetes meds. That helped with the diabetes, but then my weight crept up more. By this time I was in terrible shape, probably 315lbs, and able to work up a minor sweat shopping or running errands. I knew I needed to get back into shape but found it difficult to commit with work and having low energy and not having a good fitness place and not being motivated to do solo workouts.

So I saw a new doctor about 2 years ago and she’s like, yeah, this is a chronic condition, and you’ll be dealing with it for life. So, I was more motivated, and started doing some half ass walking exercise, but didn’t really get a program going. Then my mom got ill with Alzheimer’s and I had to help take care of her. Well, she passed away last summer and I decided to try to plan things where my lifestyle would be more conducive to being active and healthy.

In Sept. I moved from a big apt complex in Irvine to a house on the beach in Seal Beach, for not a lot more rent (ok, $1200/mo more). The move was a bitch even with three movers. After the move I decided to start walking more, including along the beach a few times a week to get more activity in. That was ok, but I really needed a lot more. So, by the end of Oct. I decided to join a fitness class that would be more like my old wrestling workouts, though not as intense.

On October 30 I joined Orange Theory and went about 3 days per week in Nov and Dec, 4 days per week in Jan, and now I’m doing 5-6 days per week and considering adding other physical activities. (My current plan is to start ocean swimming a few days per week starting in Mid-March.) I started seeing good results after only a few weeks, and solid results after two months. Thus far I’ve lost about 35 lbs and am much stronger physically and in much better shape. I should have done this 5 or 10 years ago, and it’s completely stupid that I did not drop everything and make it my top priority. Life is better, I have more energy, I look better, and I can focus for longer.

I haven’t done any strict dieting, but in my past and current experience, workout out regularly almost forces you to watch what you eat, because you know how hard it is to burn off those calories, and you get addicted to seeing lower numbers on the scalce. I’m hungry now but won’t eat until after my 7:20 workout.

In broader health news, I have a checkup scheduled for this Friday, and I expect the doctor will be pleased. I’m still symptomatic with diabetes, but the symptoms are reduced, my feet don’t ache, I have more energy, etc.

My goal is to lose about 8 lbs a month, whcih will put me at around 250 by July, which should put have me in quite good shape. However, I do want to see if I can get down to 230 this year, which would put me in very good shape for my tall, barrel chested body type.

There are more details and info and I plan to post some graphs and such, but I need to get ready for my workout. I’ll likely follow up tonight, as I’m tied up most of tomorrow.

Questions, comments, etc. are welcome. I didn’t address it, but I actually studied nutrition quite a bit back in the day and will likely post some thoughts on that as well.

7 Likes

Good stuff simp. A little sad when you referenced losing your mom. Very nice work thus far. I am looking forward to celebrating your progress and mercilessly ribbing you when you slip.

2 Likes

gl, simp

1 Like

gl, and congrats on everything you have done recently to make this a priority and shed a bunch of weight already. A lot of people never pull that trigger.

Looking forward to following this thread and appreciated the detail of your initial posts!

2 Likes

What area of philosophy did you study?

Philosophy of science/cognitive science.

2 Likes

So this sun thing, is it going to rise tomorrow or what?

As I argued in an essay, based in part on Godel, Escher, Bach, there’s no more problem with induction than deduction, which also isn’t self-justifying. If someone doesn’t accept a deductive syllogism, there’s not a lot you can do to “prove” to them that they should. It’s foundational. That said, while I believe the sun will rise tomorrow, I have broader theoretical commitments that entail it will not rise every tomorrow (e.g., it can go supernova and simply swallow the earth).

I plan to add to the posts above with some more info and tips and such but am fairly busy atm. I guess this thread isn’t so much of a “how to” (though it is in part), but a testimony that it’s not that hard to get into better shape and it’s worth doing. Like, it’s more worth doing than just about anything else. If you’re 210 lbs and you should be 170, it’s worth the effort even if everything is currently “fine”.

Also, while I think I’m pretty committed to the program I’m on for the forseeable future, the thread is also a way to make me (hopefully) stick to the goal of 260 lbs by July (I said 250 above, but 260 would about -7 lbs/mo). Hell, it’s possible I won’t hit 260 by then, but I plan to be in damn good shape for > 260 if that’s the case. As part of the broader effort, I plan to post updates and such and will probably post some pics when I get organized.

Currently planned topics: dieting vs fitness for weight loss; my fancy new scale, and why it’s not really better than my old unfancy sale; how heart rate monitoring is done; is the “calories burned” information on fitness equipment accurate?; the best and worst of Orange Theory, or “I’d prefer not to listen to rapey pop music when exercising”; will Simp make it into the water, or will it be too cold?; wtf is a “max” heart rate, and will my heart explode at 101% effort?; is all exercise and nutritional science BS, or only 90% of it?; why I don’t take supplements; how is Simp still addicted to nicotine, and is it a good idea to spend $1k/yr on lozenges?; etc.

2 Likes

How Strawsonian.

Broader theoretical commitments unavoidably beg the question, no?

P.S. Ignore me. The joke was originally going to be about Hempel’s ravens. I see big brain philosophizing going on and I move on it like a reality tv talk show host on an entertainment reporter.

1 Like

All who know what beg the question means favor the righteous crusade to preserve its semantic heritage.

I welcome all further ninja edits.

2 Likes

I’d say I’ve kinda given up on trying to police “beg the question.” Every news person uses it incorrectly. At least it’s not misused that often in law.

As a fun philosophy of science byway, I plan to get around to this: The Ashtray (Or the Man Who Denied Reality) - Wikipedia (It’s by the filmmaker Errol Morris, who studied philosophy under Thomas Kuhn.)

I would say I’m currently reading Rorty’s Philosophy and the Mirror of Nature, in that it’s on my nightstand (with 6 other books) and I occasionally read 15 pages or so and may, possibly, finish it by 2021. I will say that’s it’s easier to read now that I’m working out and have have mental energy at the end of the day.

2 Likes

The punchline got ahead of me and I got confused, carry on.

Hahaha I feel you

I perfectly fine with being an unfoundational pragmatist. All physical “laws” may change tomorrow and the the universe may turn grue (New riddle of induction - Wikipedia). Our understanding of science and nature is “rough and ready”, not axiomatic. I believe science approaches truth in the sense of perspectival realism.

2 Likes

I wonder if we did our master’s degrees at the same institution :open_mouth:

Well, no issues with saying I was at Pitt’s HPS department. I didn’t have any difficulties like Morris did with Kuhn, but I did have a bit of a spat with Adolf Grunbaum after I had already applied to law school. If I recall correctly, I argued that Freud wasn’t falsifiable because his definitions were too slippery wheres he felt strongly that Freud had been straight up falsified. I had a prof from my undergrad warn me he was a bit of a bastard, which he was, but he was a great philosopher. The Foundations of Psychoanalysis is a very impressive work. The Foundations of Psychoanalysis - Wikipedia

Reading the wiki, it would probably have been helpful to know this before I adopted this position in a paper: "According to Grünbaum, his initial motivation for his critical examination of psychoanalysis came from his questioning of Karl Popper’s philosophy of science: he suspected that Popper’s argument that psychoanalysis is unfalsifiable misrepresents its faults. "

3 Likes

Ah, cool. Sorry, I thought I read you studied in Canada.