Simplicitus' Fitness Journey, and you can too!

I spent a year visiting at Simon Fraser and doing grad work before formally enrolling in a PhD program, also took some classes at UBC.

Probably the work that’s most in line with my views and where I think philosophy cognitive science needs to go is Andy Clark’s Surfing Uncertainty https://www.amazon.com/Surfing-Uncertainty-Prediction-Action-Embodied/dp/0190217014, in that it offers a more or less scientific theory of how the brain operates. It’s a very impressive work and not an easy read, but I it’s the sort of thing we need to move past the infancy stage in coming to grips with our cognitive system. Other philosophers I like mainly on the border of philosophy and science, such as Philip Kitcher, Patricia Churchland, and Phil Griffiths. I think Lakoff’s Women, Fire, and Dangerous things does a great job exposing how shallow most of our categories are and how influential metaphor is on thought. I also like Quine and Putnam a lot, but there were a lot of lame arguments in philosophy from 1940-1980, thanks in part to the good folks at Oxford and Cambridge.

I will say that while I was unlikely to ever be a Rorty fan anyway, his take on 1984 was some exceedingly suspect shit. I read Rorty and His Critics ages ago and the strongest impression I have of it is James Conant dunking on him in “Freedom, Cruelty, and Truth: Rorty versus Orwell”.

1 Like

I’m not well read in Rorty and never had a class that discussed his work, but I know he’s had some good takes, especially politically, and I thought I should read his “classic” work, as it’s still rather recent. I mainly stayed on the philosophy of science/cog sci side of things and wasn’t exposed much to, eg, Strawson, Sellers, Brandom, and others in that vein. Did take a great course on Donald Davidson taught by Bjørn Ramberg at SFU (now at Univ. of Oslo) and another great course at SFU on philosophical naturalism, and another on “a priori” knowledge, what it means and whether the concept ultimately makes sense. While Pitt is a more well known dept., SFU and UBC had some good young philosophers (Alan Richardson at UBC is one the smartest people I’ve met) and some strong teaching.

I definitely miss philosophy and sometimes regret leaving it, but I wouldn’t say that I regret it overall. It’s not an easy life, and 95% of the time you’re doing busy work, trying to get an article published, and teaching “business ethics” to future sociopaths or America. Anyway, I would have stayed on if I had come up with a good theory of how the brain structures the nature of thought, but I perhaps did not push myself hard enough.

1 Like

Being that the “pics gets the clicks”, I thought I’d upload a couple of progress pics, which I’ve taken sporadically but may start taking every few weeks.

The first pic is from Nov. 22, after about 10 workouts, and the second is from today, after about 60. The one from today is obviously “post workout”, as I wanted to give a sense of the effort involved. At 290 lbs I’m still carrying plenty of weight, mainly around the gut, but am making progress overall. I probably weigh 25 pounds less in the pics from today. Main goal is to drop another 28 from March through June, and then hopefully another 20 after that.

https://imgur.com/EgPUnbe
https://imgur.com/bUqtAl8

2 Likes

Also, Orange Theory emails you a stat summary after each workout, which includes a cumulative total. This is my summary from today.

https://imgur.com/YB4eOJ7

1 Like

This is a running total over 4 months.

https://imgur.com/eXd9kmQ

1 Like

Click the pic to expand.

“Splat points” are minutes spent in the target heart rate zone, which is 84-91% of “max” hear rate, which is basically “strenuous” exercise. Max heart rate is typically defined as: 220 - age = Maximum Heart Rate Target Heart Rate and Estimated Maximum Heart Rate | Physical Activity | CDC

I think they use a slightly more refined Max heart rate formula.

1 Like

I can go a bit more into the “theory” behind Orange Theory. It’s basically that if you get 14 or more minutes in the “orange zone” (84-91% of Max heart rate) during a workout, then you will continue to burn additional calories above your baseline metabolism for the next 30 hours. I looked into this some, and it seems pretty dodgy, based mainly on a small set of not that rigorous studies.

However, what is well established is that if you do strenuous (or even moderate) exercise for an hour, you’ll burn a lot of calories, gain muscle, get in better shape, and improve your health, more so than any diet or pill. You don’t need to burn another 100 cals over basal metabolism over 30 hours, cause you’re burning them on the goddam treadmill.

Every training or fitness program has its share of myths, most of which are harmless. What is not a myth is that if you sweat for an hour 3-6 days a week, you’ll get in better shape.

2 Likes

Nice job Simp :+1:

After not working out at since I left college 12 years ago I started going to a gym in mid Jan. It’s a HIIT place similar in style to Orange Theory but I do 3 days of kickboxing and 3 days of weight lifting per week, 45-60 min sessions. I hate running and biking so the kickboxing is a good way to get in cardio and it’s pretty fun.

1 Like

I made a post in Rexx’s thread that I’ll include here, as it covers my general philosophy regarding food and dieting. Note that I tried dieting without exercise off and on over the past 5 years and it didn’t really work for me. My body seems basically able to not burn any calories if I’m not exercising. Hell, I should be studied by science for how effective my body is at storing energy. I think my ancestors were bears who ate in the summer and fall and hibernated in winter. Anyway, here’s the post:

Fwiw, my program has been working well for me and I don’t really deny myself anything. Down 15kg in 4 months and significantly stronger.

I do have to commit to the workout, but it’s easier for me to make myself do something for 1 hour a day (that isn’t that difficult and gives a high afterwards) than to, say, overly restrict food. I am aware of what I eat but don’t currently log calories (I have before and have a good sense of how many calories I’m eating).

I watch what I eat and try to eat when hungry and not overeat, but I also cheat a fair bit.

Tonight I had restaurant fish and chips and a slice of carrot cake (the cake was perhaps excessive, well, definitely excessive), yesterday I had 2 big Costco hotdogs for lunch and shrimp cocktail for dinner, the day before I had 2 In N Out double burgers (no cheese or fries, diet lemonade).

I find that if I sweat for an hour 5 days a week and eat 2000 calories every other day and 3k the rest, that I still lose 1.5 lbs/wk. Granted, I’m 6’2" and currently weigh 290 lbs and burn 1k calories per workout. I’ve never really seen dieting without exercise work long term in anyone I know.

Also, nothing is better for overall health than exercise. Best of luck!

1 Like

So there’s an instructor at Orange Theory who is very good instructor and a nice guy but plays music that I hate (1987-1991 hair metal, rapey pop rap, and other bad 90s pop). I sometimes give him shit about it and I told him I was going to make him an alternative/techo workout mix. I spent about an hour on it and will post the songs later. I doubt he’ll use it, and it may not be well liked even if he does, but at least I’ll get a good workout mix out of it.

Didn’t eat THAT much this week, but somehow gained about a pound. It may be because I recovered from a slight illness and picked up more muscle. Will likely reduce intake this week. Am about to have 2 avacado sandwiches for dinner.

Did 6 workouts this week, including a 90 minute one today and am countinuing to get noticably fitter even after 65 classes.

Briefly spoke to a guy who is about 6", 225 and fairly muscular the other day. He’s said he’s been doing classes for 2 months and has lost 30 lbs.

Had some labs done this week and cholesterol went from top of the normal range to right in the middle of normal over the last 1.5 months. Blood sugar is still quite high (A1C about 10.5) but trending in right direction. It was 12 1.5 months ago and am working with doc to get a better mix/doses of meds. I’m hoping there will be a downward spike if I lose another 25 lbs.

1 Like

Ok, here’s the “Spicy” playlist. This is intended to be “user friendly” to the standard Orange Theory clientele. I also have an “extra spicy” and “super spicy” playlists made up of songs that are good for working out but not recognizable to most folks. I’m still working out the details on those two. I can say, for example, that “super spicy” has some radiohead and my bloody valentine and starts with Philip Glass’ Sierra Pelada from Powaqqatsi.

(the first and last songs are “warm up” adn “warm down” and not so much workout songs)

Well, made a few changes, including dropping Philip Glass, but here are the “extra spicy” and “super spicy” playlists.

Wow, mp3s. Respect.

So there’s something I’ve been meaning to elaborate on, which is motivation and structuring things so you’re likely to succeed.

About 10 years ago I bought a fancy $2000 Natulis elliptical machine, which I was supposed to use to get fit. This did not work. I moved like 4 different times, each time with the unweildy beast, which would invariably sit in my apartment unused and silently mock me, when I noticed it.

Having a good piece of equipment is not what you need. You need to decide to get fit and arrange things to promote that goal. This can include things like having the right clothes, shoes, and water bottle; it can also include signing up for a group class, where there is some implicit social pressure to attend workouts and take them seriously. It may also include finding a gym within 5 miles so you have one less excuse not to go.

The gear part is easy but important. When I started working out again I purchased a few essential things. I bought 3 pairs of decent workout shorts for $20 each, like a 6 pack of basic black/blue/grey workout shirts for like $24, a 6 pack of workout socks, a pack of 8 small white towels for $5, and a good 24 oz water bottle for like $8b (I fill it up before workouts from a 5 gallon household water bottle). I already had a barely used pair of fitness shoes I got on sale a year earlier for like $40.

Having this basic but essential set of gear means I have no worries or issues getting ready for a workout. I’m ready to put on my uniform and go. Ironically, I put the elliptical trainer in storage when I moved, about 2 months before starting to get fit again.

Also, as someone who worked out alone in grad school, I find being in a class much easier. There’s something to be said for group reinforcement and having an instructor. Sure, the $179/mo isn’t cheap, but it’s much less than a personal trainer, and look at it this way: how much is good health and weight loss worth? Most people would rush to pay $100 to lose a pound if that meant they could, say, lose 50 lbs for $5000. Well, I’ve lost 35 for under $1k so far. Also, the improvement in well being and energy would sell for thousands more. It already does, in pills that are not nearly as effective. I pay $500/mo for basic health insurance, so paying another $179 to actually be healthy doesn’t seem excessive.

So, again, my fancy elliptical did me no good for 10 years. What I needed was to make a decision and commit and take care of the equipment and logistics that would enable me to pursue my goals (which are still a long way off) unhindered.

Now, I have it easy in that I structure my work hours and have few other commitments, and it will be different for everyone, but people in your life, including work, would likely be encouraging if you need to block out time 3-5 days a week to get into decent shape.

1 Like